Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I covered a D'angelo song...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Wrong Robot, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, I did... I personally think I did a good job on the music part, and well, I at least get an A for effort on the vocals, because well, I'm a nerdy white guy that can't really sing. But, regardless, I really really really enjoyed making this.

Maybe you'll enjoy listening to it. Or maybe you won't, but give it a shot anyway, and if you feel so inclined, tell me what you think.

One Mo'gin

edit: fixed the link

2. i would love to check it out , but the link doesn't work
    for me :meh:

3. JupiterAdept

JupiterAdept

Aug 5, 2005
    Holland
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    :p oh come on, it's not THAT bad.

That's weird, Dunno why that would be, I've never liked Real player much though, it's always been kinda wonky for me.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Wow! Now that was entertaining and humorous (picturing nerdy white guy whilst listening) at the same time. It was quite refreshing not hearing a blur of notes! Simply groovy dude! Nice work! I dig it!

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Dude, this is cool. I've never heard the original so I can't compare...

You should write original tunes like this. I mean, this is your style, and the last tune you did was modeled after a D'angelo song... now a cover... your style as of late seems to call for vocals. I say stick with it... write some sexy ass lyrics about some sexy ass woman... you know. Basically, I really like the song, but I'd appreciate it more if it wasn't a cover (I think you could write something like this... maybe better)

On a side note: My dog just farted and it smells awful.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Thanks for the words DW and Matt. I do want to work on my vocals. I think if I really practice and work on it, I could earnestly pump out some more authentic and powerful stuff.

I was sitting ontop of a small mountain the other day and I was humming to myself all original R&B type stuff with lyrics and everything, and I thought to myself "I should make an R&B album"... but ultimately... I laughed since I am a nerdy white guy. But anyway... thanks for listening.

side note: cat farts smell worse than dog farts

8. JupiterAdept

JupiterAdept

Aug 5, 2005
    Holland
    XD XD

Well, I kinda had no choice, because I streamed it..
    I'll try again.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Musically, it was a solid cover. Vocally, I don't think you can hang with D'Angelo. That sounds harsh, but i think that as some others said, take him as an influence and do your own thing. A sound you write will probably compliment your voice better than a cover. If you want to do cover material, you need to have a voice strong enough to be a featured instrument. Song writers, however, can work with their own idiosyncracies to get a unique sound. You might also consider collaborating with a vocalist too.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Oh don't worry, I harbor no illusions that I can hang with d'angelo in the slightest ;). But, I also have no reservations when it comes to trying something like this. Ultimately, I think that through this cover I will get into working with my own material more. Thing is, I've always been kinda bad at writing lyrics. I've been writing raps and poetry for years, but with lyrics... there is a disconnect. After doing this cover though, I feel more um... empowered? maybe. Like, that I could get away with my own lyrics. Well, we'll see. ;)

Thanks for listening though.

oh yea.... the other reason I did this cover... you know... for the ladies(one in particular)... the fact that I'm a dorky white kid kinda helps with the endearing sexy factor, I swear, it's awesome. :)

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Just don't make a music video that is you naked from the groin up screamin' yo ass off.

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I wouldn't be so concerned with what you look like! It's more of what you are and feel inside! If it helps, grow your hair long and grow a goatee!! :D Seriously, if you are inclined to write R&B style tunes then so be it! You do it well!

13. Well, for a starter, I think you have done a damn good job..It sounds good. But the voodo album, it´s just something about it...the groove, it´s just so incredible. So everything is pale in comparisation...But if I hadn´t heard the original, I would not have said that.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Pino Pallodino is playing on that cd. And Pino is as solid as they come. Will Lee and Raphael Saadiq on the 'Brown Sugar' cd.

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Tell me about it. 'Voodoo' is an incredible album. Absolutely incredible, easily one of my all time favorites.

I could be wrong, but I think raphael saadiq is on voodoo in some capacity, I know pino did the bass work, but saadiq is fairly proficient on many instruments, and he's something of a producer as well. I forget though.

Anyone heard Saadiqs latest? 'ray ray'? it's nice. I like it less than 'instant vintage', but it still has some good tracks.

Thanks for listening.