Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I crack myself up sometimes...I bought one of these today...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jimbob, Dec 6, 2005.

1. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    It's Cheap and it's Cool! You can detach it and use it as a "flashlight" too. It attaches to the headstock/Strings of my Jazz by a magnet. I spent about 30 minutes running around the house with it and playing in the dark (my bass I mean...yeah my bass) and it didn't fall off...lights up the fretboard very well for the size. Another suggested use is to put it on a pedalboard as effect lighting...just a cool and practical gig gadget.

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showi...rase=&Contains=&Search_Type=SEARCH&GroupCode=

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I just bought something that looks just like that, but holds my picks. :D $1.99 at Sam Ash. I may like your toy even better though.

3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    How does the thing attach? How bright is it?

I was thinking that it might actually be useful for reading music in dark places.

4. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    It attaches to the strings via a small round magnet a bit smaller than a US dime.

It's a pretty bright high output LED...there is a warning label on the package that says avoid direct eye exposure :eek: . I bet the white one would work out well for "Night Reading".

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Does your bass have an angled headstock? I'd be curious as to how well it would work on angled-back headstocks.

6. Take some pictures of that thing with the lights off. That looks pretty fun.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It appears to be a standard LED to me. Like what you'd find on a keyring LED light. When I think of bright, high output LEDs I think of Luxeon LEDs.

brad cook

8. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Brad, Honest, I don't know much about LED's but I can tell you this. I sell Ad Specialties and this bad boy is much brighter than anything I have come across from my other vendors.

I I'll try and get a picture up here when it's dark out

9. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    I play a Jazz bass so it is slightly angled back . I have to put it as close ot the nut as possible.

10. Oh man, I really want to NOT want one of those. But I think I'm going to buy one someday. You should take some pics of it in the dark and post them. :)

11. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    I tried like crazy to get a decent pic but my cheap digital cam didn't do it justice. I'll see about getting a shot this weekend at my gig.

My wife and kids dig it if that means anything.

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I mean this in a good way, but it seems like one of those things that seems really stupid yet we buy them anyway and have fun with them any way. Sounds like me and effects....... :)

I might have to pick one of those up sometime too, even if it is just for giggles.

13. how far up the neck does it shine?

14. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    About the 5th Fret and fades as you move down. I'm gigging with it tonight... :hyper:

15. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    The Magnet is pretty powerful, but, overall, the illumination is subtle. It looked cool on my bass. I put it on when I got there and placed the bass on the stage. It definalely catches the eye from a distance.

Understand that my band has a big light show so the stage is never dark. First, I put it on the headstock, I cought it with my hand and it spun and started flashing in my eye (is that bad?). That was no good so then I stuck it to the bridge saddles. The light effect illuminated my plucking hand! It worked out alright.

I took it off at one point, forgot to put it on when we started playing so I stuck it to the Mic Stand pointing towards the floor. That was cool as it illuminated the area around the stand and I was able to see my stand instead of accidently knocking it over like I have done before LOL. Once the stage lights were down I used it for my "Dummy Check" of the stage. It's ok but not a flashlight.

For the cash, it has entertained me for hours but I like shiney things. They should come up with one that can be secured to the headstock a bit better (for the same price...I'd pay an extra buck for it actually) and they would sell a ton of them. I liked the bridge saddle idea though so that is where I will probably leave it.

16. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    wow... so useless I MUST have one *L*

actually, I'd let my guitar players use it to find their pics when they lose them :D

17. Probably put some guitar player's eye out! :D