Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i CRACKED my SSII!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Mar 3, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    @&*#)*&@#)%(^!)(&^$!!!!!!!!!!!

i had a gig last night in the blizzard, and while i'm carrying my warwick in it's gig bag, first the strap breaks, causing it to hit the ground, then 5 minutes later i slip on some ice and it falls again.

take it out and lo and behold, right next to the lower horn theres a hairline crack about 2 inches long. if i push on it it doesn't move though, so that's good, right? it doesn't even seem to be that deep, but i can definitely feel it.

is this something that if i ignore it, it will get worse? should i take it to a tech and have them fill the crack with something, or can i just sand it and oil it and be ok?

the harder something is - the more brittle it is i guess....

!@#$*&G $#!%!!!!!!!!!

:mad: :mad:
    :( :(

jason

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I feel your pain. Hope it's okay or you get it fixed up!

3. not your SSII, that makes me sick... :(

the lesson here is, hard shell case.

4. ouch....that's sucks man! If I where you I would take it to a luthier or someone like that to have it looked after, just to be on the safe side......

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    absolutely take it and have it reglued or whatever- i was dond a session once an my bass rooled oof a chair- the peghead was completelt tornn off!! a cat glued it and it was goos as new- DO NOT igonore the crack - sorry to hear about this.. good luck- Adrian

6. Go and order a PRO TEC PRO Semi Hard Case ASAP! It's better than a gig bag and lighter than a hardshell case, worth the $90 price tag, trust me!

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    does it have straps i so can wear it as a backpack?

BTW - i will be retiring my warwicks gig bag. it now has the front and side handle and one functioning zipper remaining. everything else is toast.

i never realized how weenie the padding around it was either.

i HAVE to have something i can backpack it with though...i need to take it to class 2 times a week - and that's a 15 minute walk. im NOT doing that with my warwick hardshell case.

then again - i guess there's a reason i was taking my sterling everywhere. i wish i would have used it last nite!

jason

8. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    E-mail Dana B Goods and see what they say.

9. bass2020

bass2020

Aug 27, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Warwick has a new hardcase out, I think it has straps.

10. Even cheaper, and great insurance is a TKL case from www.musicyo.com

I've got two, and they are more than worth the $50 or so. Just go to the surplus store and make some straps that fit you perfectly.

Sucks about the bass, but get it fixed man. It's just wood, and there's plenty of techniques to fix it. At the worst...it's a lesson learned.

Good luck.

11. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    sorry to hear that man.

definately get it fixed.. shouldnt cost that much.

12. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    hey Jason,

sorry to hear about your accident :(
    you should definetly take it to a pro luthier and have him check it and do some preemptive work on that crack if its needed.

I recall seeing before my eyes a Warwick gigbag nearly smashing to the ground (with its pricey contents).
    the buckle just snapped and one of the straps came loose, gladly enough the guy who had it swiftly got a hold on the other strap before it got a chance to slip from his shoulder to the ground.

having seen this I dont use the shoulder straps on my gigbag unless I need to haul it a long way and when I'm home I always stow the straps in the zipped pockets at the back.

13. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico

And spiked shoes that dont slip on ice

14. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Man that sucks what happened to you and your bass. I feel your pain.. I know about crappy gigbags.. But let me suggest to you the best gigbag I've ever used seen. UNDERCOVER GIGBAGS!!!!! these things are great.. the only edge reunion blues has over them is the leather gigbag... if you consider that an edge. My undercover gigbag is super padded and built very well.. Talk to Gard. He sells them ;).. Lakland uses undercover gigbags with their basses.... I don't use my Musicman case anymore.. I like it.. but its so much easier to through my bass on like a back pack

hope everything gets fixed,

peace,
    Jim

15. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I agree with ldiezmanregarding Undercover gig bags. I recently bought a double gig bag from Gard at Bass Central, and it's awesome.

A lot of gig bags have cheapo straps with buckles or plastic connectors that can fail fairly easily. The underocver has very thick straps that are sewn into place, and the straps are padded to boot.

The padding on cheapo gig bags tends to be sparse around the edges which is exactly where your bass takes an impact if you drop it while carrying it. The Undercover has nice, thick padding all around the perimeter.

I'm not associated with Undercover in any way, not stock in the company etc... I'm just a very satisfied customer.

-Shin

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

that's exactly what happened. except the first strap broke on tuesday when i went to pick it up, so when this one broke all i could do is try to catch it.

:(

jason

17. That sucks bigtime! I'd cry if something like that happened to either of my basses.

Definitely get it looked at. If my mechanics of materials class has taught me anything.. it's that hairline cracks (as well as smaller fractures at the microscopic level) will eventually propogate and cause failure... I really should be doing some ME 306 right now actually.

Edit: I shouldn't say will.. I'll say can propogate and cause failure.

18. That is sad Jason:(

I remember checking my Alembic in a gig bag once from Seattle to Florida in a flight!! That was one of the stupidest thing I've ever done ....but luckily nothing happen! Thank God I add so much padding on top of what's already in there.

I wouldn't suggest anybody doing that though....

19. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    I dont think you understood me, the metal buckle (like a D ring) connected to the upper end of the strap broke for no reason.
    one moment it was a metal sqaure shape, the next moment the square shape was cracked open and the bag fell. is that what happened to you?

I actually feel the Warwick gig bag is one of the safer ones out there, its got padding over the headstock, on the bottom (you dont want that strap button shoved up the arse of your bass) and it has leather sewn inside above the risky areas.
    I belive no gig bag would have offered you protection against a rejoin with mother earth.

20. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    that's exactly what happened. the first one broke on tuesday, the other one broke on saturday. i guess they have a definite lifespan which i exceeded.

the warwick gig bag sucks - at least mine does. all the padding has squished down, only one zipper works, the front handle is about to come off, the little clip thing on the back came off, and the pockets are falling apart.

oh well...time to get a new one i guess.

jason