1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I cringed when I saw "Cajun Pawn Stars" refinish a 71 p-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arnie, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
    Did anyone see the episode of Cajun Pawn stars purchase an original '71 p-bass ( I think it was a maroon ish color with a piasley ish pickguard ) ? They bought it to re-gift it, so their "repair guy" striped it and repainted it black while routing in 11 silver dollars into the wood. I guess if you just assume it was to replicate a lost bass and would never be sold then ok, but... I almost cried.

It did have a cracked head stock so maybe that made it pretty much worthless?

2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    It's only a bass ... and FWIW, I don't think 70's Fenders are worth nearly what some will pay for them.

3. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Who cares? It's a CBS era boat anchor P bass.

4. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    1971 was a good year for Fender. I've owned a couple '71 P-basses and they were as good as any pre-CBS Precision. It wasn't until the mid-70's and afterward that quality started to take a dive.

Any instrument with a cracked headstock has lost it's collector value. I'm sure those meatballs in that shop knew that. Guitars are one of the top-3 bread and butter items for a pawn shop.

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I saw this!

http://www.history.com/shows/cajun-...-stars-knocked-up#cajun-pawn-stars-knocked-up

I laughed so hard! There was SO much FAIL going on here...

First the guy only asks $1000 for it. Now, I don't know if that's a refin, but if it's actually original custom color red (which it might not be judging by the tort guard that was on there, it was probably originally sunburst) it's already worth way more than $1000. Then the shop owner says, "I only see $500 bucks here..."

Now I understand it's a pawn shop and they gotta make money, I'm a huge fan of the original Pawn Stars, but I would've told him where he could stick it when he offered $500 for it. So he gives the guy $750 and the guy is happy?

Then they repaint it black and glue silver dollars onto the body! WTH??? Also, not sure if anyone noticed, but the "fixed" bass had a rosewood fingerboard while the one he sold the store had a maple fingerboard....hmmm...seems fishy.

Also, I didn't really see the crack in the headstock, but apparently they must've replaced the whole neck when they refinished it.

6. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    74 was when the boat anchors began .

7. I cringe when I see "Cajun Pawn Stars" in the TV listings. Speaking as a Cajun, that is. This era of white trash reality TV needs to end.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    2008 was also a good year for Fenders. A '71 Fender is a used bass. I've never understood the big attraction to Fenders from the '70s. There was nothing special about them. At my age, it's hard for me to consider any Fender that isn't "pre-CBS" to be vintage, and I'm not even attracted to those.

9. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA

That 71 P-bass was refinished, and had a cracked neck. At $750, the shop overpaid for that thing. I wouldn't have offered him over $400.

Pawn shops are businesses, not charites. People walking into a pawn shop are looking for immediate cash, and as such, the seller takes a hit. That's how it works. If you don't like it, there's always craigslist.

10. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    +infinity.

11. I saw it and I thought the shop paid too much for it to begin with. I didn't think the resto job was that horrendous. The silver dollars were pretty cool and the silver dollars alone were worth more then the bass. It was a bland re-finished looking '71 with a cracked neck, no big deal.

12. pineapplerobot

pineapplerobot

Jul 23, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Dumbest thing I've ever seen. Bring on the Duck Dynasty. At least those guys are supposed to be stupid.

13. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    This.

And this.

Not to mention, from the 2-3 episodes of that show I've seen, those guys are about as Cajun as the original "Pawn Stars" folks. :rollno:

14. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Let me just say, that as a genuine genealogical and cultural cajun, that those guys are as cajun as robert deniro

15. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    The bass was WAY cooler looking when the guy brought it in. I definitely would've given him $1000 for it.

16. Now I got to check this show out. Just to investigate whether these fellas are francophones at all. Not that my Acadien French is any good after living in California for 25 years.

17. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I gotta derail for a second (I apologize).

Reality tv REALLY needs to go away. Back when I was a kid, we had reality tv then, too. It was called the NEWS!!!

I'm so tired of Basketball, Cheating, Ex-Celebrity, Rock Star, etc. Wives. And Teen Mom shows too. Geez, enough already!!!

We need a reality show based on BASS PLAYERS for the stars or something. At least that might be interesting for a season or three.

I'm so tired of all this complete white trash crap that clogs up tv constantly. I was bored with reality shows when Paris and Nicole were still on, and it's just getting WORSE each year.

Somebody please write a real tv show, instead of just filming the local skank walking a Jersey boardwalk!!!

</rant>

18. They are not, the only thing "French" or "Cajun" about them is their last names. Other then that they look like guido's with a southern accent.

19. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Is Pawn Stars reality tv? How about Wheeler Dealers? Because I like those shows. When I see a reality tv show I don't like, I change the channel.

20. braud357

braud357 Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    Let me clear something up - Calling that program "Cajun Pawn Stars" is misleading - the Cajun country in Louisiana ends well south of Alexandria, so - I agree - Jimmy and crew are NOT cajun ! Concerning the bass, they told the story that he had owned a P-bass previously that he had inlaid with Morgan silver dollars, and that he had sold and later regretted. They built him a replica. I did cringe when they were going to strip and repaint a candy apple red P-bass. But I thought that it may have been refinished, and the tort pickguard was definitely incorrect for a candy apple red factory bass. I live very close to where some of the "Swamp People" live - that program also takes a bit of "poetic" license with their depictions of alligator hunting, but is mostly accurate. "Duck Dynasty" is an embarassment - those guys ARE loony ! They just happen to be from north Louisiana !