1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I cut my finger, i can't play bass :(

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bass9454, Jun 8, 2011.

1. bass9454

bass9454

May 20, 2011
    Boring German class.... I cut the tip of my index finger with a pencil lead container.
    I haven't bled a lot and it does not hurt when i press piano keys or something ,but when i press bass strings it hurts as hell.
    What should i do ?

2. put a band aid on while you play and man up:bag:

3. just joshing. if it still hurts with a band aid, maybe you should just rest it for a day or two.

4. Rebop

Rebop

Jul 9, 2008
    La Honda, CA
    Man up. Broke my right hand once and a week later had to play 2 upright bass gigs in a row. It hurt... A LOT!

Man up. You're just lucky you didn't "bleeded" too much.

5. No Malarky

No Malarky

May 27, 2010
    I suggest leeches and bloodletting.
    Just make sure you don't bleeded too much.
    That could lead to girlie type posts in a public forum.

6. The following is really bad advice:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turn a stove burner on full blast, heat up a frying pan, then cauterize it.

You'll be complaining that it hurts to play through your blisters, but at least you'll stop the bleeding.

All else fails, super-glue it!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously, I did have to super-glue the tip of my back down onto my (fretting, index) finger to play a few summers back. That helped build some character.

Good luck.

7. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    which hand? plucking or fretting?, if left then you may need to take couple of days off, plucking hand ? then get a pick and you are ready to go or slap perhaps?

8. bass9454

bass9454

May 20, 2011
    fretting hand :(
    Band aids don't help.

9. Two words. Super Glue.

10. bass9454

bass9454

May 20, 2011
    How will Super Glue help?

11. Puts a protective layer over the cut and seals it with a hard layer. It will still be a little painful but not as bad.

Look up the origin of Super Glue. Was developed for gun sights then they found it binds skin so well they used it to treat severe field war wounds. Still used (similar form) in medicine today. Just make sure you try not to get it IN the cut.

Cyanoacrylate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

12. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    It works, I guess. Paul Gilbert, one of the most famous electric guitar players around did a show I attended with a cut finger super glued. He said it got him through. It just creates a film on your finger.

13. Jon_West

Jon_West

Jan 8, 2009
    GTA, Ontario
    Helped when I cut my finger open with an exacto knife and had a gig the next day.:bassist:

14. I played dozens of gigs before I had surgery on my neck. The disk between C5 & C6 was compressing my spinal cord 90%. My Dr. told me I should have been in a wheelchair. I was functioning somewhat limited but I was out gigging. MAN UP brah!!!

15. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    doctors use super glue all the time now.

Suck it up, chief - we have ALL done this and ALL showed up for the gig. The show must go on!!!

16. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Learn to play with your middle and ring and pinky fingers.

17. MikeCollatos

MikeCollatos

Oct 5, 2009
    Virginia
    I've had a few blisters and cuts on my fingers and I just try moving my finger to an area outside the injured part or use another finger if possible or play more of the root notes and not walk around so much on the fret board.

A few years ago when I was still playing drums in a band I broke my hand in three places. Doctors set it as best they could and wrapped it, but determined I needed to get surgery to fix it right. I had a show two days later which I played and popped the bones out of whack again. Played for three hours like that. Worst pain ever but I made it through the show. Wouldn't do it again but at the time we couldn't cancel the gig.

18. dbhokie

dbhokie

Nov 1, 2010
    You have 3 options:

1.) Cut off your finger

2.) quit playing bass

3.) wrap a tad bit of electrical tape around it while you play.

You have more options than that but I want you to feel constrained. Option #1 is my pick.

19. Super Glue it and play through the residual pain. It builds character. :D

20. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I cut my fretted index finger on a piece of very sharp floor tile (up against the wall) when I bent down to pick up my shoes fifteen minutes before a gig. It was a freak accident, but it was bleeding like a stuck pig!

Bandaids were useless, and I had blood all over my fretboard by the end of the first set. I had no access to super glue. One of the guys always has duct tape with him. During the first break, I cut a piece and placed it across the line of the cut so the length of the duct tape was 90 degrees to the line of the cut. I also placed some compression to the linear cut so the duct tape would 'press' the two sides of the cut together.

It worked like a charm! It still hurt a bit to play, but it did provide a protective layer, and it stopped the bleeding. But there was a lot to clean up the next day. The blood was easy to clean off the fingerboard, but the residual adhesive from the duct tape was a pain in the butt. But it all ended well.

Good luck!

BTW: Super glue may work, but if you are pressing your finger up against the hard metalic string, the glue won't be flexible like your skin. This may cause the glue to crack and flake off. Then the cut can reopen.