Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I`d rather pay the Cash...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by davegr8house, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Hello Guys,
    Todays lesson was NOT good. I got there early and went to the lesson room and started setting up. I got the Bass out and got the Music on the Stand..RealBook..Etudes...1812 Overture...stuff I had worked on. Well my Teacher/Luthier came in and was setting up and he bumped my Music Stand and it CRASHED into my Bass. I thought I was going to be sick right there. It did not crack the top Table thank God but it did leave three scratches one being "A dam good one". Well, he freaked thinking I was going to be PO`ed but I did pretty well I thought. He felt like S#@t so that made me feel a little better. Anyway sence he`s my Luthier also he said he would fix it. He said it would not be real easy sence my 100yr German has a "French Polish". The Dark in some spots almost black Stain makes the fresh and clean sctatches stick out huge. Anyway I`m not that upset "100yrs old it has hundreds of repaired scratches on it,kinda what gives it uniqueness"...it still sucks. Well, out of my Teacher feeling like crap I get the Bass fixed and my Bow rehaired:meh: I would have rather paid the cash for the rehair and not have to see my baby looking beat to hell. All Well I had to vent...I`m done now..

Dave

2. Mmm - sounds like you need to get a more "manly" music stand. The moment I read "Real-Book", I thought "uh oh, here it comes (...crash!)". R-Bs and flimsy folding stands do not mix! But don't feel too bad - I used to get really PO'd when ever my bass got a new scratch or ding, but looking at my teacher/luthier's beat-up bass, and hearing the great sound he gets from it, I realised that I was worrying about the wrong thing...

- Wil

3. Yeah your right. I`m still shaking my head thinking about it. I know he`ll fix-er up just fine. Uhhhh...do you have one of those "manly" stands? I was using my Teachers when "it happen",but its the same as my home Stand. I dont remember the Brand. I bought it at Mars...the basic black like you see at schools. Do you know one better? Thanks...

Dave

4. I bought mine from a local store ("Music Mall") for ~$30 - I think it's made by Precision Instruments, and although it is heavy, it does fold up to make it more portable.

Here are a couple of pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps -

- Wil

5. Thanks Wil,
    I`ve seen Stands like yours around. I`ll have to check one out..

Dave

6. Josh McNutt

Josh McNutt Guest

Mar 10, 2003
    Denton, Texas (UNT)
    I have a Belmonte that's pretty sturdy. I think it was about the same price.

7. Forget the music stand- Will, where can I get a bowtie like that?!!

8. I've been collecting them for the past 20 years or so - I must have a hundred or more...

- Wil

(Oh, BTW I think that one came from "The Tie Rack" (UK chain - used to be one here in Naushua, think they went belly-up a few years ago) You could try any good store - hint: Don't go for the "clip-ons" (very "naff") - real men tie their own bow-ties ;) )

9. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Don't feel so bad dude, things like this happen all the time. If it makes you feel any better I have a interesting story to tell you.

One of the guys from the orchestra here was playing at a Jazz gig, when from no where his bass just literly fell apart! No word of a lie, the thing just broke into pieces. It was a appraised at 10k and was around 120 years old.

He stopped in the middle of the gig, and from what it looked like was tearing.

10. That stand seems like it has one problem.

How do you write things into the music while using it? The music on it's asking to be punched through.