1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I decided to give rounds another shot.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Eyescream, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Ordered a set of Labella Deep Talkin' Rounds in 41 58 83 106 128 this evening.

As much as I love flatwounds, I'm getting away from them again for two reasons:

1. The Chromes I was using don't have a tapered B, and my bridge only accepts Bs with a taper, they sounded okay, but my intonation was kinda jacked up and it just didn't feel quite right cause the B string sat up higher than I would've been comfortable trying to adjust out.

2. i'm starting to wonder if the weak preamp stories regarding Ibanez SRX505s are kinda true. The flats sounded characteristically like flats, and I was happy with it, but I'm not sure if I got the kind of output that I should be getting. I'm gonna try rounds and a pro setup and see if I'm happier with it, and if that doesn't work I'm preamp shopping.

Anyway, if anybody's interested, I'll post a review once I've got them on.

2. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Yeah a review would be nice. Thanks.

3. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    It's not just the pre-amps it's the pickups too.

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Sure man, gimme a few days to get em on and situated and stuff and I'll post up what I think.

Well, I'm fine with switching all of it out eventually if I can find:

1. A set of soapbars that will fit and have the right screw locations
    2. A preamp that doesn't have the pots hardwired onto the board so I don't have to do a ****load of drilling into my bass.

5. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    I've been a huge Ibanez fan for years, but one thing I was never happy with were the electronics and pickups.

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Update:

I got my Labella Deep Talkin Rounds in the mail today and strung them up, then I immediately called my local store to take it in for a setup. Either the B string is the weakest, floppiest piece of crap I've ever strung up (unlikely) or my setup's more ****ed than I thought it was (likely, as the intonation is in serious need of some work).

So tomorrow when I get the bass back and have a chance to play it for a little while, I'll post a review of how it actually sounds. I can already tell I'll have to make an adjustment since I'm not used to playing on roundwounds anymore.