Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I decided to give rounds another shot.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Eyescream, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Ordered a set of Labella Deep Talkin' Rounds in 41 58 83 106 128 this evening.

As much as I love flatwounds, I'm getting away from them again for two reasons:

1. The Chromes I was using don't have a tapered B, and my bridge only accepts Bs with a taper, they sounded okay, but my intonation was kinda jacked up and it just didn't feel quite right cause the B string sat up higher than I would've been comfortable trying to adjust out.

2. i'm starting to wonder if the weak preamp stories regarding Ibanez SRX505s are kinda true. The flats sounded characteristically like flats, and I was happy with it, but I'm not sure if I got the kind of output that I should be getting. I'm gonna try rounds and a pro setup and see if I'm happier with it, and if that doesn't work I'm preamp shopping.

Anyway, if anybody's interested, I'll post a review once I've got them on.

2. SuperSluggard

SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    Yeah a review would be nice. Thanks.

3. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    It's not just the pre-amps it's the pickups too.

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Sure man, gimme a few days to get em on and situated and stuff and I'll post up what I think.

Well, I'm fine with switching all of it out eventually if I can find:

1. A set of soapbars that will fit and have the right screw locations
    2. A preamp that doesn't have the pots hardwired onto the board so I don't have to do a ****load of drilling into my bass.

5. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    I've been a huge Ibanez fan for years, but one thing I was never happy with were the electronics and pickups.

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Update:

I got my Labella Deep Talkin Rounds in the mail today and strung them up, then I immediately called my local store to take it in for a setup. Either the B string is the weakest, floppiest piece of crap I've ever strung up (unlikely) or my setup's more ****ed than I thought it was (likely, as the intonation is in serious need of some work).

So tomorrow when I get the bass back and have a chance to play it for a little while, I'll post a review of how it actually sounds. I can already tell I'll have to make an adjustment since I'm not used to playing on roundwounds anymore.