Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I definitely need to share this... (good things happen)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Avezzano, Mar 8, 2004.

1. We often hear "horror stories" about this or that shop, or maybe each now and then also some terrible factory "customer service" tales, right?

Now, instead, listen to this:

on december 2003, I ordered a Skyline 55-02 from Basscentral, (Florida). I also requested to have, possibly, a cheaper way of shipping than usual. To better satisfy me, Beaver Felton arranged (along with Dan Lakin, Lakland founder-owner) a "custom" air way shipping, from the Lakland factory to Italy, where I live (go figure what these guys can do for a single customer! This is appreciable "per se").

Unluckily, the shipment was not insured. As of the last days of february 2004, the bass was still missing (still missing today) and I was really disappointed, having paid a considerable amount of money. I concluded that there was nothing to do anymore because the instrument had been stolen! Definitely! No ways to track it anywhere!

I told this to Beaver and, after a brief consult, he and Dan Lakin decided to share the loss and to send me another bass, this time with a standard safe and quick shipment, WITH NO CHARGES for me: "...you owe us nothing..."

Now, if anybody knows better store - factory owners I will buy him the lunch.

Any other good stories like this one?

2. you know: you wait for an instrument and you worked hard to spare the money to buy it. When it arrives you feel the "ordinary" joy, right? We all know how does this feel.

Now just think that you are waiting for the bass that as more days pass-by you mature more the absolute knowledge that it has been stolen!!!!

Then someone out of the blue goes: "ok don't worry. We take so care of our customers that we take the entire loss and we'll replace it"...

Now try to figure THIS feeling, if you can (and we're not talkin' about a $100 instrument!) ...

:)

3. some dirty theifing mungrel has scammed that bass. Dodgy freight handlers. May the fleas of 1000 cammels infest their jocks.

4. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Dan Lakin is great. He was an incredible help after I screwed up in the purchase of a used bass. He gave me a new neck at cost and got the bass playing like new.

If I ever drop big bucks on a bass it will be with him. Best customer service ever!

5. >If I ever drop big bucks on a bass it will be with him. Best customer >service ever!

I second every word! And, in addition, even if one is going to spend "not so big bucks", a 44-01 (or 55-01) will definitely be it!

And to think that I was the one with more prejudices about Lakland being too expensive!!! Now I am so "completely sold" to my fretless 55-02 black beauty that I couldn't help but to want the fretted match!!!

P.S.: thieves work smooth everywhere in the world and Italy is no exception; but our police is second to none, tks God. I frankly hope they'll catch the "mofos", sooner or later.

6. ok, ok: a banal gonohrrea would do...

7. A dirty big bunch of ass grapes for good mesure, then thats just for entre`.

8. even better: they are going to gig and someone... steals the bass!!!

9. Or they are at a gig, and they get electrocuted by the bass.............. I am getting sadistic now aren't I. anyway, enough of my ramblings. Glad it was a happy ending for you.

10. Works out cool seeing as you already had the first bass, didn't you you cheeky scamp! :p

Oooooonly joking. Good job! Pretty damn good service. If I ever amass enough funds to get myself a proper high-end bass I think they'll be getting a call from me.

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Ditto. Very cool, above and beyond customer service! :bassist:

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Big props to Dan Lakin and Bass Central. Great customer service should be #1 on every dealer's and manufacturer's list, but unfortunately, that is not always the case.

They both really went above and beyond on this one![​IMG][​IMG]

13. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    When I was buying my bass (first one ever) I was a lonly 12 year old with about 500$ in his pocket. I saved that money for a few years. So I went to the store and my Dad was like trying to get me to buy this loser copy of a copy crap used broken GUITAR! for 80$. I didn't want that guitar cause I knew it suck and it was a guitar.
    So the young guy who was working there said
    "You Know I have this really good squier bass in the back I could put it in a box and sell it to you as a box set"
    I took the offer and gave my money to him. He tuned it and everything.
    You would think that its his job but a year later I went back to play more squier P-bass. Boy those suck LOL. I truly belive he gave me one of the best ones.

14. KidNamedFord

KidNamedFord

Aug 17, 2003
    MI
    did you get the bass for free? or just shipping?

15. >Works out cool seeing as you already had the first bass, didn't you you cheeky scamp!

>did you get the bass for free? or just shipping?

1) nice touch of classy understatement :D !!! Seriously: I clearly wrote back to Beaver asking to file a report to the Police to start an official investigation and I told him that if the C.A.R. bass will ever show up, I will pay for that, also. Only to try to sell it right away, obviously. This just to avoid other hassles: ship it back and related costs!!

2) C-O-M-P-L-E-T-E-L-Y F-R-E-E and you can't get better than that! Nowhere!!!!

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Avezzano, I'm glad that Dan & Beaver were able to work things out for you. I tried in vain with John (my counterpart @ Lakland, in a sense) to find a way to track down what had happened to your bass, but with no success.

I work with Beaver daily, and in a sense with Dan Lakin as well, and both are first-rate people. I'm pretty lucky to be a Bass Central employee, and to work at a Lakland dealer, great people to associate with on a daily basis.

17. Tks Gard: appreciate! BTW, you have all my deep envy for your job! Wanna swap? :D

18. I just got warwick thumb 5 from Bass Central last week. The nicest guys I've dealt with for gear. I called for a price, then found it cheaper elsewhere. I called them back and they matched it and covered the shipping!! They have earned my business for all my bass(ing) needs.

Thumbs Up!!

19. What would be cool is if that Bass that was lost finally found its way to you. Then you have 2 nice basses for the price of one!

20. :) yeh I 'll buy it off ya avezzano ;)