1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Desire A Different tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chinguschild, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    Hello all. Not sure if anyone remembers me. Havent been on in at least a couple years and wasnt there long. In any case. I have a dilema.

I want a different tone. I dont know exactly what I want.
    I have a Seymour Duncan Bass 4000 head, DOD Compressor, And Hartke Cabinets (4x10 and 1x15. Both XL series)

For years I have always loved the tone. I thought it had a nice modern crisp tone while still retaining lots of warmth. For some reason lately though I dont think the highs are crisp enough for me and the tone always seems to be muddy. No matter how I adjust the eq I am never satisfied.

Do you guys have any tricks for maybe adjusting the eq or suggestions as to how I can find a new tone I would appreciate it.

BTW: Please dont kill me for such a stupidly vague question. hahahah

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My opinion is replace the 115 with another 410, or just use the 410 by itself.

3. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    I have thought about this. But my rig looks so freaking cool though. Guess I could just paint another 4x10 cab to match! :bassist:

dakota046_NEW.

EDIT: What about horn loaded cabinets? Thoughts? Will the horn add some of the extra brightness I desire?

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    If you can, roll out some 40hz, add in some 2-4 khz.

5. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Have you thought about getting a different bass?

Not a bad idea to take a look at the source first.

6. I thought all their 4x10s had horns? Anyway if your looking for crisp modern brightness, especially in the amounts alot of Stingray players use nowadays, then a horn would be good for you, just don't put any overdrive through it! Never got worse tinnitus then from distortion coming through a tweeter horn.

You might lose alot of the depth your enjoying at the moment however if you ditch the 15, try playing round with your EQ some more and maybe your basses EQ too. Try some stuff you wouldn't really try, muddyness sometimes comes from low mids/high bass so try a cut there maybe.

7. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    How old are the speakers? What's interesting is that your rig used to sound good, now it doesn't. Might check into your gear to see if it's just wore out. Need new speakers? New Strings? Do you have any hearing loss in the upper registers?

Just some other things to consider.

8. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Chingus,
    Are you Sean Penn's love-child?

:bag::p

9. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've heard aluminum cones can "work harden" and get brittle over time. This may be a contributor to why your rig does not sound the same as it used to.

10. Two possibilities towards imrpoving your current rig:

1. Lose the compressor. Most times when sound is generally muddy, it's being overcompressed. Also since the DOD is a pretty cheap compressor, even when set up correctly, it won't sound as good as a more expensive one.

2. Check the amp's power supply filter caps. The amp is pretty old and they may need to be replaced. In solid state amps, as power supply capacitance drops off with age, the amp will become muddier sounding, too.

11. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    I used to have a Vintage P-Bass but have never disliked my EB. I used to think I got my best tone from my eb.

the Hartke 4.5 is the horn loaded 4X10. I have always used the old style 4X10.

You are the second person to point on the capacitors. At my church there is an old fart sound guy that seems to really know what hes talking about. Only problem is I really wouldnt know how to check those and dont have the money to take it to a shop. Not that I would take it to a shop in this town anyways.

Guess I will start playing around with your suggestions. Thanks a ton

12. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    How often do you change your strings? I would try a cheap easy fix before anything else.

13. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    I change my strings about once a month minimum. I HATE dull strings.

14. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul

Feb 2, 2007
    So Cal
    Couple of thoughts....

Have you replaced the battery in your bass lately?

Try your bass and cabs with a different head. Try your bass and your head with a different cab(s). See if the problem follows bass, head, or cabs.

Edit: agreed on losing the DOD compressor.

15. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    Since everyone seems to agree ditching the DOD is a good idea I got a question.

I like having a compressor and that's one feature the Seymour lacks. So who wants to recomend a rack mounted compressor that I would like.

And I cant belive I didnt think about the battery in the bass. Thats next for sure. Jeez. I used to replace that just for the hell of it.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It's not rack mountable, but I'm digging my FMR RNC 1773. Compressors are one thing it really pays not to cheap out on. Cheap comps are noisy. dbx makes some good inexpensive comps that aren't noisy. The Alesis 3630 is also a good sounding comp, but it's noisy compared to the RNC and the dbx stuff.

You need to read bongomania's compressor FAQ when you get a chance. Good info in there, although I disagree with him about the RNC ;)

BTW, cool grills!

17. Depending on how much you want to mess with it, the dbx 266 (less controls) or 166 would be a HUGE step up.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Agreed.

19. Chinguschild

Chinguschild

Apr 17, 2006
    Chico, Cali
    Still havent gotten to playing yet today and messing with it.

So you both seem to think somewhat highly of the DBX compressors. Whats different between the 166 and 266. Without looking at them any closer than the pictures the both appear to be 2 channel compressors and I would imagine have the same controls. right?

20. The 166 has a separate limiter for each channel and uses a higher quality VCA. It's about two steps up from the 266 in quality. If you want the best "cheap" dbx, then look for the 1066. Note that I put cheap in quotations. They have some studio compressors that cost $4-5k for a single channel.