1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I did a movie on the subject, now I'm an expert!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by burk48237, Apr 30, 2006.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    There's a page error.

3. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Sholuld be OK now

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Someone ask him if he knows the history of psychiatry...

;)

5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    From all accounts, there was a pretty fair amount of that going on.

Did you not do that when you were there? oh....wait....

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

pacman.... or THE man?

:cool:

7. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    First for a moderator your propensity to first use personal attack against other TB'ers is pathetic. I made NO CLAIMS of my own expertise, I just disputed Mr. Gyllenhalls claims (who wasn't there). I suppose you are now asserting that the 246 causalities of the Gulf War and 19 soldiers that are still MIA, (not even including the wounded) were killed while masturbating?

When I go down the list I see soldiers who died while clearing minefields, involved in the rescue of airmen, died on special forces missions, etc. Mr. Gyllenhalls statement is a slap in the face of every one of those servicemen and their families. This has NOTHING to do with the political aspects of Gulf War one and I am not attempting to debate that.

http://www.desert-storm.com/soldiers/memorial.html

8. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Seems pretty offensive to me.

9. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Firstly, I didn't attack you. I merely pointed out that you have about as much knowledge on the subject as your average layman does. (the "jack" you posted about)

Secondly, I made no inference that our soldiers died while masturbating, becuase they were masturbating or any other possible conclusion you'd like to dream up. I merely stated that by all accounts, there was a lot of it going on during Gulf I. (FWIW, I was in during Gulf I, and have served with probably 90-100 Gulf I vets....)

Breathe, relax...in with the good. Out with the bad...

10. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    I wouldn't condemn Mr. Gyllenhaal based on one report from a news source that I've never heard of.

Especially when the article consists of about a sentence or two, with no elaboration.

A brief search yielded no news from credible news sources.

11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i just did a google search for "jake gyllenhaal masturbation," and found nothing relevant to this thread.

:D

12. burk48237

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I did a quick google and came up with one other source, but Jakes own "official" site has the report I sited up in it's news section with no denial. I'm more then willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but why would his own publicity people post the story with no denial?

http://www.pr-inside.com/gyllenhaal-offends-gulf-war-veterans-r3768.htm

13. I was in the Gulf War I. I was in 3rd Bde of the 82nd Airborne Division. Most of that war I rode in the back of a 5 ton truck being cold and dirty with my nads bouncing all over the place. Aside from one engagement and a mortar/artillery attack, it wasn't much of an action packed adventure. We took a whole lot of prisoners- for the most part the Iraqis were happier to surrender than fight us.

I'm not defending Gyllenhaal's comments per se, but I've always said I was more scared, had more rounds shot at me, and was in more imminent danger during Just Cause than the Gulf War. However, I do remember that we were among the first 2,000 or so Americans to get to Saudi, and THAT was scary. At the time the Iraqis had the 4th largest tank army in the world, and we were light airborne infantry- what cav/armor guys like to call "crunchies." For the first several months we practiced the Anti-Armor Defense, and in every scenario we got greased badly.

3683_p51115.

14. bsullivan

bsullivan

Dec 13, 2005
    Lansing, MI
    Just wanted to say thanks for your service.

I have two brothers-in-law in Iraq right now. One is an MP and does do a lot of waiting for something to happen (at least as I understand it).

The other is an engineer and busy building things. Either way the "action" seems to constitute a relativly small amount of time and yet all of their time overseas is important and greatly appreciated.

15. yeah, i have a friend who was over in iraq, and he was in all the spots that the news used to report on, so he saw quite a bit of action, but he said that he had his mom send his PS2, because out of a 24 hour day, 23 were spent in pure boredom, but there was always one hour of sheer terror...but i do agree with burk, whether or not you were there, it seems kind of a disrespectful thing to say about the armed forces, to say that all the forces were doing were just masterbating...

16. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    kinda touchie; HAHA!!!

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Little bit shortsighted aren't we? I have a few friends over there, a few buddies I went to high school with. One of my best friend's fiancee's just got back, and they do spend some alone time there, if you know what I mean. It does happen, and Mr. Gyllenhaal mentioned it.

But you haven't been there. My parents were military, I grew up in a military household. I grew knowing that my parents may be sent over there, and it scared the living daylights out of me. I'm glad they're here. And frankly, whoever ends up over there has every right to rub one out if they feel it necessary.

18. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    tpylons

I don't think anyone said anything was wrong with it - just that they did it.

Tell you what - I'm going there later this year. I'll let you know.

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That picture isn't nearly as cool as the one where you're sitting at Noriega's desk.

bc

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Fixed it for you. Now go practice. :)