1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I did it again.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassist Jay, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    Last December, I made a thread on here that I bought another Epiphone by Gibson Accubass. This bass was the very first bass that I ever bought brand new. I think mine was built and bought in 1989, if I remember correctly. No later than 1990 though.

When the bass arrived, it was in fantastic condition. Not a scratch on the body and the neck had no issues either. The best part was that I was able to buy it for only $80.00. The only thing wrong with the bass was the tone knob didn’t work and the thumb rest was missing but both things are very cheap replacement parts and has been done already.

About a month ago, I found a second one that was in new condition. I think it had been in storage since ordered new in 1989. The guy selling it wanted more than it cost new so I didn’t bother to buy it. A few days ago, the seller contacted me again and lowered the price but it was still more than what it cost new. I told him brand new the bass was only $199.99. I told him I liked the bass and would be interested in buying it but for the right price. We settled on $200.00 and free shipping and a hardshell case thrown in on the deal so now I will have a second identical bass of the one I bought new almost 30 years ago. This one has everything and literally sat in storage for decades. Even though the bass is a mass produced bass and made in Korea, it was simply to good of a deal to pass up.

From December of last year until now, this is the 4th bass that is identical to the basses that I used to own back in the day. Here are the picks of it. More will come after I receive it.
    B98C6D55-D296-496D-82B9-2A98C8E3ACBB. 20278679-0E81-4B73-B998-53F1CD286ADD. 7C377987-BD1E-4944-A806-5FC40630D01F. 5E4795FB-E539-4E9C-8CC5-7541A7B32041. 28FAC6E6-FB58-4F57-A49D-47243A826C80.

okcrum, B-Mac, Bass V and 1 other person like this.
  2. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    LOL! I just noticed that whoever put strings on it, wound them on backwards. That’s funny.

Herrick likes this.
  3. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Nice find. Like a time capsule

Bassist Jay likes this.
  4. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    Just curious about the country of origin .
    Not that it matters, just wondering as global manufacturing has exploded since.

Nice find

Bassist Jay likes this.
  5. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    The later MIK versions of this bass (like the one in the OP) are some nice instruments for very little $$$. Imagine getting a string through MIM Fender P for $80-100. Alder body, maple neck, and the pickups are indistinguishable from MIM P pickups. As an added bonus, you get massive brass saddles to combat neck dive. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Bassist Jay likes this.
  6. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    The bass was made in Korea. I have several 90’s basses made in Korea and the quality is amazingly good. Especially for how little they cost.

Indiana Mike likes this.