1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I did it! FRETLESS at last! NEW BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LarryJ, Mar 20, 2002.

1. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I've been thinkin' about it for awhile- Along with my
    classic, unbelievable vibe/feel/neck '69 P-Bass
    & MM Sterling (sounds SO funky it hertz!)
    I've had a yen for a fretless- Narrowed it down to a Rob Allen, which I think is awesome-HOWEVER-
    Today, while at the LA Bass Exchange, I played & had to have a Rick Turner RB-FL-4-
    I am lovin' it! More fun than sex almost! 1st-thanks to the former owner for keeping it impeccable (it's a '97) & thanx to Long at LABX for having this biz.
    Then thanks to Mr. Turner!
    Oh, man, it brings a new dimension to the sound, what a trip!! WHY did I wait so long?? Anyway, on a serious note, playing the fretless makes me think
    along more musical lines, using glissandos, etc- I become more focused on melodic aspects rather than "sharper" linear passages & lines on fretted-
    Gotta be very cognizant of position too! I highly
    recommend it!
    Ok, thank you for letting me gush for a minute-
    Now, I'm gonna play!!

:D

2. My feelings exactly!

Woohoo for you!

Congrats!
    Jeff

3. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Someone has to say it.

Pictures? ;)

Sounds like a great score, congratulations!

Geoff

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Muchos Gracias! My pleasure!:cool:
    Phew- 3 straight hours of playing on this- I love
    it- it's a challenge even with "ghost" fret lines
    and dots- When I get the glissandos right, it is so beautiful, but gotta be careful- messing up the intonation can totally "remove the groove" -
    I'm all for atonal, modal playing, etc- but you gotta make the bass line enharmonic with the tune, so
    it's a challenge- that's a good thing!
    Question- Since this is the first time I've spent at length working on a fretless- (I've been "old school
    4-string" for many years-that's cool!)--
    When I play fretted the center of tonality is the center of the fret- On this bass, it seems to hit almost on the fretline itself- I've not played upright, but play in positions that are based on scales, and shift up/down the neck- I've been able to adapt this to the Renaissance fretless- It's very easy to play, great neck, great sound with Thomastik's- when it growls, it is so woody, natural,
    organic, yet it can have bite!! I know y'all know what I'm saying! Anyway, any comments on your experiences or transitions appreciated.

My PC camera sux, so I'm posting the pic from Turner's website www.renaissanceguitars.com
    The instrument I found has a darker hue with very nice binding - I'm not sure what woods, etc-
    When I played the axe, it sang to me, so after a trip to the bank, that was it! I'll worry about it next month (no I won't):D

Thanks again!
    -LarryJ

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Welcome to The Dark Side!

Forever will it dominate your destiny!