Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I did it, I booked my 1st DB lesson!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Howard K, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Just had to share my excitement!!!

I've had the number of this local teacher for ages and had trouble getting hold of him cause he's always gigging or teaching ! A good sign surely!

Anyway, I've booked my first lesson in a couple of weeks (after pay day!) and am SO looking forward to it. I've had a DB for ages, and while I've played around with the thnig a fair amount, I've been unable to really get to grips with how I should be playing it.

That's it, not v exciting for you guys I guess, but it sure is for me :)

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What type of music does he play? I was wondering if he's a Jazz player I might have seen play?

3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    He certainly is a jazzer

I know he plays for thr pendulum Jazz Orchestra... and a search on google.co.uk reveals a lot...

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=an...tnG=Google+Search&meta=cr=countryUK|countryGB

Here's a description I found

ANDY CROWDY has been a constant presence on the British jazz scene for many years, as a bassist, guitarist, teacher, composer and arranger. Andy has a Masters Degree in composition and 20th Century Music. He has made countless studio recordings and live appearances, as well as films, TV and radio with many of the best musicians in the UK. These days, along with Denny Ilett, he also is frequently playing throughout the world with Lillian Boutté and Thomas L'Etienne.

So... err... wow!

I said that my main focus was getting to grips with the Db itself, technique, but I think I'd best ask the guy to tutor me in the ways of as well :)

4. Bruce Lindfield

His name's not familiar - but he's certainly in good company there!

I saw Nikki Iles play last Friday at my local Jazz club - she is a great piano payer and composer!

I've seen Clark Tracey play many times - great drummer and band leader.

Others mentioned like Peter King, Julian Arguelles, Gerard Presencer are all amongst the best UK Jazz players - if he can cut it with people of this standard, then he is certainly a very good Jazz player!! I'll look out for him! :)

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Indeed. One of the drummers in my band teaches with him and gave me the number.

I'll report back after 1st lesson!

6. Bruce Lindfield

I noticed from one of those links, an ad for this :

"South Hill Park in Bracknell, Berkshire are to host a Jazz weekend commencing on Friday the 26th of March, which will consist of a series of masterclasses for young and old alike - culminating in a Gala Concert on Sunday the 28th.

The weekend will feature tutors selected from the Pendulum Jazz Orchestra - whose members include: Steve Waterman, Nikki Iles, Tina May, Ben Castle, Clark Tracey, Don Weller, Gerrard Presencer, Peter King, Stan Sulzmann and Andy Crowdy."

Sounds like a good event - a bit like the Jazz Summerschool I attend - worth investigating!

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Yes, I've seen a lot of things of that type at that place in bracknell, v near me. not sure if it'd be worth my while yet tho? i need to get to at least to a reasonable standard otherwise i fear that might be a bit above my head.

I'm now thinking maybe I should ask the chap about learning a bit more than just bass? I.e. split the time between bass and music thoery somehow? Hmmm... I'll see what he says I guess.

8. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I felt very lucky to score a pro classical bassist for lessons. I've done about a year and a half's worth off and on, and it was the absolutely best investment I ever made. Those lessons drove me to learning music theory on my own and practicing my ass off to get the biggest bang for the buck they were so good.

Best of luck to you with your lessons and never forget that the best of your teacher will come out as you bring your best to him.

9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Johnny, down in Victoria who are you studying with? Just curious really. I've been studying with a San Antonio symphony (sic) guy who's done wonders for my playing in almost no time!

10. Bruce Lindfield

You could always ask him about that event as well - you could always play BG ? I think that any decent teacher would talk about some theory, but you could ask him about what you need to know?

I think that learning DB is going to take up a lot of time anyway and you can study theory on your own...

Like - get "The Jazz Theory Book", a keyboard and work through the examples?

But this is up to you and your teacher, of course!

11. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Oh I'll probably go... just not sure if I'll play or not?

Yes, so do I. In fact I am slightly concerned about that - my girlfriend probably isnt gonna dig it all that much!

Re: the theory, I'm getting a better understanding of theory every time I study, play or read a nice tasty thread on TB... but it's consolodating all that and having it under my fingers when I read from a chart.
    It's practice and experience basically!

I'm still planning to check out these local jazz groups that play each month...

12. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    The only guy down here who knows anything about the doublebass is the principal cellist for the local symphony, Jerry Snyder. He's an influence of mine for certain, but he's multi-instrumentalist who's interests lie in performing rather than teaching.

I've been cruising up to A-town to study with David Neubert as our schedules allow, and as I'm able to keep pace with the musical challenges, for about a year and a half. I could type for hours about all the things I've learned from this guy about the bass and music.

13. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Johnny - PM me for Steve Zesserman's number. Amazing teacher, and he lives in Floresville. A little closer to you, that's for sure. And in 5 lessons, he's got me playing Bach cello suites. (not well, mind you, but I'm playing them)

And if you're jaunting to Austin with your bass, you should be lining the pockets of our eteemed Paul, who's quite the man about town up there, I hear.

14. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Whatev. In 4 lessons I was playing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and Bingo.

15. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I am humbled in the shadow of your mastery...

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Ooooh, look at me, cello suites. Oooh, I'm Yo-Yo Ma!

Twinkle Twinkle man. How do ya like them apples!

BOO-YA!

17. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    You can play 'twinkle' after 4 lessons! Holy sh~t!!

I'm quite looking forward to learning an instrument from scratch properly.. I never learnt "when the saints go marching in" and "jingle bells"...