1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I did it! You guys better be right!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ninerfan, Dec 8, 2006.

1. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    Last weekend I picked up a Schroeder 21012 and last night I bought an Ampeg SVT II non-pro. I was able to do this for the price I can sell my SVT-CL and 410HLF for. I have to wait until tomorrow to pick up the head, but I am hoping it is loud, punchy, more defined and less boomy. I bought the head never having played one due to recommendations from you TBer's. I got a pretty smoking deal on the 21012 and thought it would be a good match for the SVT II. What do you guys think?
    :bassist:

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Sounds like its going to be a cool rig...:)

3. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I think I would have just replaced the cab with a 810 and keep the CL.

4. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL

+1

5. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I can't speak to the Shroeder, but I'm sure you'll be pleased with the II non-pro. The difference to my ears is nearly exactly what you're describing as hoping for.

6. Enjoy!

7. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Oooh, that is gonna sound awesome!

8. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Sounds kinda like you did a lateral move. Schroeders are great...Ampeg is great. Ampeg CL is great...2 pro is great. Probably should have played through the system first before you dropped the scratch on the gear, though

9. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    I agree it wasn't a huge upgrade, but I think it was an upgrade. As far as the head goes I got a SVT-II non-pro. I like my CL, but read everyone raving about the II so I had to give it a try. I picked it up today and it sounds great. I have a baby at home so I haven't been able to crank it up to do a proper comparison yet. So far it sounds a little richer and fuller, but again I need to crank it to get a real idea of what it can do.
    As far as the cab goes I've been looking for a stand alone cab to use for a while. I started with 2 HE's, but it was a pain to bring 2 cabs and 1 was only 8 ohms. I used my guitarists HLF with his SVT 3-pro (he is also a bassist in another band) and it sounded good so I thought I'd give it a go with my CL. I don't think it was a great match. It had the Ampeg tone, but was loose, boomy and undefined in the low end. This 21012 popped up on craigslist for a smokin' deal so I thought I'd give it a try. So far I am impressed with the cab, but haven't got use use it in practice yet. I do think that it adressed the issues I was having with the HLF.
    My future plans include a Berg NV610. I'm hoping that now that Jim is bringing back the 610 the price of used ones will go back down to $600-$700 by the summer.:hyper: I'm sure I can get what I paid for out of the Schroeder if I end up going that route.
    More to come when I put this rig through it's paces.
    P.S. It was a risk picking up the head through ebay, but it is in great shape. Luckily it worked out well.

10. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    Also I can always go and get another CL. How many SVT-II are going to be available in 10-20 years?

11. I've been using my SVT-2 Pro with a Schroeder 310212 for awhile now and definitely love it. You will most certainly enjoy it *IF* it's the sound you want. It's not going to be big and low. It'll be growly and will cut through like a knife, especially when you get the SVT-2 cooking with some power amp grit. For many people the lack of sub-low bass is an asset on stage where the really low stuff can get very lost. I've had cases where I've asked an open-minded soundguy to give me my bass through a small wedge. He looked at me with quite the surprise when I said "no actual bass, just lots of midrange". Then I went back, turned down my rig (this was pre-Schroeder for me) to his surprise. It was probably one of the lowest stage-volume gigs I've played, and thanks to the midrange cutting through I never had to strain to hear myself even though I was much quieter on stage than before. That was what convinced me that a Schroeder would fit the bill for those innumerable times when the sound guy isn't so open-minded.

Post up some pics when you get it. It's not real without pics!

12. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Dude, I hate to tell you this.. but everyone was kidding.

Just kidding. ;)

13. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    I dunno, those schroeders are nice,u can lift them with one hand. but I agree, they aren't super Low-endy..at least the small and mid sized ones that I've owned/tried..
    I guess it depends on the tone you like.

. But I'm very curious, can u tell me the difference between the SVT pro 2 and my SVT-CL?
    and of all these amps:
    Sadowsky SA
    mesa 400
    SVT-cl
    SVT II
    Are any of these signifigantly louder in volume?

I also agree, the 8x10 cab brings out the CL's sound like nothing else.

14. Glad to see Ian chip in. Is this the 21012 Regular or the 21012 Light? At first I didn't like the 21012 Light and then when I tried it is second time with my own amp (Genz Benz 600), I really liked it a lot. The SVT II non-Pro is a great amp, the CL is pretty darn good too. I also think your problem with your original rig was with the cab and not the head. But now you have a great head and are heading in the right direction in regards to cab. Used NV610s pop up with some frequency, so keep your eyes open.

15. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    It is the 21012 regular. I would love to have a light, but the price was right on this cab. Also, it would be kinda wierd to have an 80 lb. head with a 50 lb. cab.:meh: I don't need a ton of low end, I play 4 string basses. I've been impressed with the low end this cab puts out for me.

I agree Aaron that I went from a pretty darn good head to a great head. It's not like going from a Behringer to a DB750, but an upgrade none the less.

The Sadowsky is 200 watts so it will produce the least volume. I haven't heard one, but I'm sure it kicks ass. The Mesa uses different power tubes and has different voicing, more of a hi-fi tube amp. All of the Ampegs use the same power tubes and have similar voicing. It's down to subtle differences when you compare the Ampeg's to one another. If there is someone with more experience with them than me please correct me if I'm wrong. This is all in my limited experience.

Did someone say pic's?

16. Sweet pictures. That's a cool looking rig. Good gear hunting.

Just to clarify - the Mesa 400 (not the plus) uses 6550 tubes just like the others to get 300 watts. The Mesa 400+ uses 6L6s. Mesa 400(+) amps are on the lighter weight side of things because they use smaller transformers. The result is they sacrifice a bit of frequency response so I wouldn't consider them a "hi fi" amp. Certainly a different (generally smoother, less gritty/growly) than the Ampegs.

17. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    I meant to put qutoes around the hi-fi, meaning it's more "hi-fi" as far as tube amps go(as per your description). Thanks for the clarification and thanks for the comments on the rig.:)

18. Man, I was already GASing for your amp/cab setup, then you reinforced my stingray GAS. If I had everything in that picture, I would be a happy camper for the next few years.

19. ninerfan

ninerfan

May 28, 2006
    North San Diego
    My wife hopes I am too.:)