I did it!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by misterCRUSH, Jan 17, 2022.

1. misterCRUSH

misterCRUSH It's all jazz...it's ALL jazz...

Dec 27, 2015
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    So I suffer from extreme social anxiety, as well as a serious mental illness. This has kept me from performing because I struggle with being on stage and also cannot count on my ability to even make rehearsals. The other week, I was feeling especially confident. With the support of my amazing wife I ventured out to an open mic. I was the second one to go up. I performed Giant Steps with a backing track, and a solo piece I wrote for my wife. I even stayed on stage to jam with two guitar players and a hand drummer for about an hour. I am so proud of myself. I'm hoping for another bold day the next time the open mic rolls around. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, just putting this out there for anyone else that may be suffering from similar or other debilitating conditions. It can be done!

271415480_1106263640207801_3081177549912100211_n.jpg

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Awesome! Congrats.

3. Good for you! Keep it and it will get a little easier each time.

4. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Ain't nothin wrong with that... carry on!

5. Genomatic8

Genomatic8

Jan 5, 2021
    Good on you brother! Bet ya can't do it again....;)

barrenelly, BOOG, Rip Van Dan and 3 others like this.
  6. misterCRUSH

Dec 27, 2015
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    I'm already practicing for next week :)

7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    That’s outstanding!

I remember my first violin recital as a kid, terrified. It gets easier. And you’d be surprised how many legendary performers suffer. Keep it up.

8. Seems like one of those "one step for man..." kind of things. Keep at it and it just gets more natural. :thumbsup:

9. joelns

joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    Great first step! As others said, it will get easier with experience.

10. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Giant Steps??? Dang bro. :thumbsup:

The Owl, barrenelly, 4Mal and 35 others like this.
  11. icefly

icefly

Sep 7, 2020
    SouthAmerica
    Yes
    Congrats.. keep going!

12. Just keep doing it!

13. Right on! You can do it!

14. ultra60

ultra60 Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Herndon/Chantilly Va.
    well done!

15. misterCRUSH

Dec 27, 2015
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    one of the benifits of social anxiety, and my other mental illness, is that I have A LOT of time to practice! I'm also proud that this is my first 5 string and I got it on christmas, so in a few weeks I made the transition. like I said, a lot of time to practice!

16. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    So much amazingness in that post.

Between overcoming personal obstacles/demons to perform on stage and now looking forward to performing again, the simple fact that live performances an open mic nights are back, and some super cool artwork at the venue...

You know, in my days of seriously gigging/touring, I met a lot of musicians with similar stories to yours. I once met a guitarist (absolute monster player) who told me he had mild agoraphobia- getting to a gig was a herculean effort for him (there was one bandmate who never left his side; emotional support and all), but once he was on the stage with his guitar strapped on and started playing, he got in the zone and felt like "home" again. Amazing the power of music and performance to bring out the best in people.

17. waver

waver

Nov 19, 2016
    Memphis, TN
    Sounds like you took a giant step!

18. the baint

the baint Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Techtronic Industries, North America employee. Opinions are my own.
    That is AWESOME! Way to go; I'm honestly very proud of you. Also, THANK YOU for sharing the moment with us! We all benefit from it and that may truly inspire some of us to push past what we believe holds us back.

I had played tens of shows in a band context, but I'll never forget how different the pressure was the first time I had a short solo recital in college. TOTALLY different experience, no one but yourself, and I suddenly had new anxieties I hadn't had when I was just one of a group. You went up there all by yourself and DID IT!

Also, how sweet is your wife to know and support you like that! That's special.

19. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Cheers to conquering and rocking it!

Reedt2000 likes this.
  20. Philip McAdam

Philip McAdam Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2021
    Gabriola Island, BC.
    Congratulations to you! The first of many firsts, I hope.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022