1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I did it!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Sippy, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I JUST GOT MY FIRST DOUBLE BASS!!! You guys are right.. it's not like picking a bass guitar! It's so personal. I drove home (the shop is about 45 minutes away) and I was smiling the whole way, listening to Ron Carter I was all smiles! I told the lady I don't want to know any prices, or anything about the basses so I walked in there and held and touched every one, played them and I made my decision based on which one was perfect for me. It was no contest. Luckily it was in my price range and the lady was so happy I did it that way she gave me a free bag with it (she said before it didn't come with one) I have no idea what kind it is, anyway to tell? and I'll post pics, probably tomorrow. But I am thrilled. I WISH TO GOD I got one earlier. :hyper:

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I actually just checked inside it says "William Lewis and Sons" and hand written "221"

3. metalbass.com

metalbass.com

Mar 20, 2006

Sounds like you got an instrument that will inspire
    you...

Did you get a Bow as well?

:p

4. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Actually the woman was so kind! she offered to give me a free bow, but she told the gentleman before me that all her bows were very expensive, she took so much $$ off for me already since I was a college music major and showed her so much respect, I couldn't allow her to do it.. I will purchase one from her though later.

5. Your kidding right? You just dropped a bunch of money on a bass and you wouldn't let her give you a bow. When you are a student take advantage of all offers like this that you can get. Trust me, she wouldn't have offered to give you a bow if she was going to loose money on the deal. She would have still made a pretty penny.

6. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Awesome!! how are they qualitywise? Similar to a Squier or SX from the EBG world?

7. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I notice all their basses are identified as being of German or European origin save one, which I assume is Asian. I'm guessing the "European" ones are Romanian.

Which model did you buy? How much did you pay for it?

8. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    It's an older one, I paid $570 for it. I'm actually renting it, but 100% of the fee goes to buying it..and I love it so I know i'm not giving it back, so I technically bought it. I'll see what model when I go home tonight. I just remember on the inside it was handwritten.

9. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    That's pretty cheap for a decent bass. Is this a store that specializes in string instruments?

10. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    yea pretty much.. she has like 2 sax, 1 trombone 5 double basses about 10 cellos, about 20 violins/violas and a bunch of guitars and EGB

11. Cool.... What's the name of the Store?

12. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Academy of Music

13. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    No the place I went to is in Fort Pierce. They don't have a website, if you are in FL let me know, I'll meet up with you and show you where it is. They're terrific over there.