1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I did my homework

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Dave44, Sep 27, 2013.

1. A small rant but it's starting to bother this old cat. After being told by BL to learn a toon for the next practise then finding out I'm the only one who bothered to work on it. Has me wondering is it worth the effort.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Here's a script for you......

You - "Hey BL,what gives? You told me to learn this just and YOU didn't even learn it!"

Him - "Some lame excuse blah blah blah"

You - "Well, that's just dumb. See if I learn the next one until you guys prove YOU can."

See how easy that was?

3. Well... you get to relax for the next week while everyone else woodsheds the new tune.
    :)

4. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    I just like how you spelled tune. :p

But yeah that bugs me too. Is it worth it? Only you would know....

Good luck.

5. Scott Sauna

Scott Sauna

Oct 12, 2012
    Oregon
    I frequently had this problem with the last band that I worked with. They would come to practice with an original song, and I would be the only one who would learn it and therefor had to lead every time we played the song because even the songwriter would forget.

6. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    I have that happen often. I don't mind much, because I like learning new tunes. Still, it's a little annoying to be all ready when nobody else is (& sometimes the agreed-on song never gets played by the band at all!). Not much can be done about it, except keep learning new songs!

7. bass geetarist

bass geetarist

Jul 29, 2013
    toronto
    Ya that bites. I once resorted to learning my part AND another band member's part so I could teach it to them at the next practice.

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    If you ask me to learn a song, and I do, but you don't?

Odds are good I'm going to complain about it.

Rather strenuously.

You might get away with it a couple of times, but sooner or later, it's going to cause some problems.

9. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Sounds like what I'll go thru with the team I play with at church. A few of us are pretty good at doing our homework. But there's the same few where you can't help but think..."did you even LISTEN to these songs??" And when I say something I'm accused of turning into a cranky old man. I said "so speaking my mind and telling it like it is makes me cranky? How do ya figure?"

They won't give me an answer. Won't even look me in the eye .

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Oh, I am SOOOOOOO cranky.

11. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    I'm getting crankier by the day! (Long overdue, too!!)

12. Say something!
    And it is fine to step out of the rehearsal room to chill outside, while they get their stuff together. Once they are ready, then you come in and join them. Make sure they get the point. You can also encourage them to rehearse without you.

13. DaDrew2112

DaDrew2112

Apr 7, 2011
    Rochester
    Lazy slobs haha.

So incredibly annoying...

What fun is playing music if you don't know the songs?

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I guess I'm lucky. We agree on three or four new songs for next practice, and the only thing we have to do is decide on an ending.

15. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    It happens. You just have to bring forth the issue and tell everyone else that this isn't acceptable. Either they'll agree with you and change or they won't. If they won't then it's time to leave.

16. manghu67

manghu67

Jun 13, 2011
    Omaha NE
    Major source of frustration. Gotta do that homework!

17. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    I ran into this exact situation last month, at the rehearsal a week prior to our Labor Day Weekend gig.

The only difference was the last line of your "script". After giving it some thought, I later informed the BL that the Labor Day gig would be my last & I was leaving the band!

(Soon to be followed by the drummer, lead singer, rhythm guitarist, and harmonica player. We essentially fired the BL/LG & the backup singer, and reformed the band w/o them! Our next/1st gig is in 4 weeks.)

18. Chromer

Chromer

Nov 28, 2012
    Don't they call that "jazz?"

19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    This happened to me for awhile in the beginning of my current band. Drummer always does his homework, but gui**** always has a million excuses. Kids, work, etc.. yet he still manages to shoot pool every Wednesday night. These days I don't learn any song until gui**** knows it and can sing it and play it. It takes me about 1/100th of the time to learn ANY song anyway.

20. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    I've had the OP's experience a number of times.

Hey, I figure it can be kinda frustrating at the rehearsal, but I always learn something by copping a tune off the recording: a different finger pattern from my same-old, an ear training exercise, an opportunity to find a cool shell voicing of a chord when I try to get the sound of keyboard parts...stuff like that.

So it's never wasted time, really.