1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I didn't know Jimi played bass too.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by pica, Mar 16, 2013.

1. pica

pica

Nov 26, 2009
    Michigan
    I was reading the liner notes of a Jimi Hendrix cd I had bought years ago called First Rays Of The New Rising Sun. On a couple of the tracks Jimi is credited with playing both guitar and bass. The rest of the bass tracks are credited surprisingly to Billy Cox and not Noel Redding. This was the first Hendrix cd released after his death to contain never before heard tracks. A must have for all Jimi fans. Cheers.

2. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    I am listening to the new release: People Hell and Angels, as I type, and listening to the Track: Inside Out.

Jimi on bass, and guitar, with Mitch Mitchell on drums.

3. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Watch the Making Of of Electric Ladyland. Jimi could really lay down some nasty bass goodness!

4. I'm pretty sure he played the bass when they recorded a cover of All Along The Watchtower as well.

5. I read somewhere during one of my information gathering binges that Jimi was very displeased Reddings basslines on Electric LadyLand and went back into the studio after hours and rerecorded the bass tracks himself.

6. He played bass more often than people realise, and even owned a bass or two himself! :bassist: There are quite a few instances on record (as in "documented fact") of him standing in for bass players, or picking up the bass in a jam.

Here are a couple of photographs of a gig which he played with Johnny Winter - and to make it even more unusual, Johnny seems to be playing a Stratocaster, rather than his trademark Firebirds!

Hendrixbass_zpsb8f42301.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Here he is with Noel Redding's beautiful old sunburst Jazz -

[​IMG][/IMG]

And in the studio, with a P bass -

Hendrixbass4_zps5c924192.

7. chuckNC

chuckNC

Aug 21, 2012
    Johnny used a Fender Mustang before he got into Firebirds. You can hear it all over the "Progressive Blues Experiment" album--he sounded good on it! It's also the guitar he played at Woodstock.

It's my memory that Noel said somewhere that he played on the "Watchtower" session but that Jimi probably went back and redid it. Around the time of the Electric Ladyland sessions, Jimi started spending longer and longer hours in the studio and Noel would get fed up waiting around. Said he'd "go down to the pub, pull a chick and come back afterward and Jimi was still tuning up the guitar." Or words to that effect. "Watchtower" doesn't sound like Noel to me.

Btw, Jimi seemed pretty adept at playing a righty bass still strung up for a righty.

8. nashman

nashman

Feb 11, 2011
    Very cool. I wonder where his basses are now ... :eyebrow:

9. chuckNC

chuckNC

Aug 21, 2012
    When Jimi died, a lot of his gear disappeared quicker than quick. He did have a righty Hagstrom 8-string that he acquired in '67 and had strung lefty. Wonder where it is today?
    The white Jazz Bass in the cool pics above is Tommy Shannon's. If it could only talk!

10. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Do yourself a favor and listen to Electric Ladyland, the song, on the album of the same name. Jimi lays down a bass line so fat, it'd make Jamerson crap a brick. I don't much care for the song itself, it's not my favorite of his, but... Dat bass line! :)