Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I didn't know where to post this...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Selta, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, my band has been going for awhile now (I got into a different one 'cause my last one really sucked) and was just wondering something... We already have 7 songs written and I kind of want to know wether we should cover other bands or play our own? Thanks!!
    Ray

2. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    Shouldn't you make that decision yourself?

3. You'll probably find that to get gigs you have to play covers, at least that's what its like around some parts. If not, seven songs would be enough maybe for support band in a rock club, but if you got a bigger gig, you would probably have to fill the set out with covers. You might as well learn some, they could always come in useful.

And this thread should probably be in Miscellaneous, one of the mods will sort it out.

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well, we can't really decide who we would centre to cover on and I just want to get your opinions on it...

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    If you've got a specific style or sound... you could always redo odd or obscure songs in your own style.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    But see, I don't really want to cover anyone. I want to get our own sound, our own method of doing things!

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

If that's the case, and your bandmates agree, then go for it! As others said, you probably won't get paying gigs... but you might get to play talent showcase gigs with other original bands.

Some bands who wish to be all-original begin by playing covers: easier to get in the clubs, earn some money, and more importantly, gain publicity for themselves. Once established, they begin adding original songs to their sets.

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Hey, yeah that's probably what we'll do then. Thanks for all the help people. B/c my last band, all we did was cover and people didn't like it that much...

9. That is oh so very true. It is sort of a trust thing. You establish your reputation on putting out good songs. Most of these songs start off as being covers, because people can recognize those songs as being good songs. As you incorporate your own songs, they will enjoy those as well. Then again, I might be talking out of my wrong end again.