1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I didn't need an OD pedal... Until I heard Rudy Sarzo.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Edgar664, Jan 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Edgar664

Edgar664

Mar 12, 2009
    Mexico
    So I've been playing with a clean bass tone for a while; well with just a little crunch coming from a GK Fusion 550 and I was totally fine until I heard this live perfomance of rainbow in the dark with Rusy Sarzo playing fingerstyle and getting a tone associated with playing with a pick (my very personal opinion, of course).

Any recomendations guys?

Sartori and MGR like this.
  2. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Randy's Equipboard is very incomplete, but it mentions the Pigtronix Bass FAT Drive and Philosopher's Bass Compressor, which also has a dirty element to it. However, it should be noted that both of those pedals are much newer than this video, so that doesn't really help with what he was using to get his tone back in 2004.

Rudy Sarzo's Equipboard

Edgar664 likes this.
  3. MGR

MGR Inactive

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    God, watching this reminds me of what we lost when Dio passed on. I saw him in NYC around this time and he still sounded amazing. I think he declined fairly rapidly after this period because the video I saw of Heaven and Hell at Radio City was sort of cringe worthy and I wondered why it was released.

Seanbassplayer and Edgar664 like this.
  4. I wonder how much of that sound is the way he hits the strings. If you hit the strings hard enough with fingernails you can get that clank and grind from playing with a pick.

5. Edgar664

Edgar664

Mar 12, 2009
    Mexico

6. I can't get a really good look at the amps, but for a split second at 1:27 it looks like he was using GK 700 or 1001RBs.

7. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Anyone else see the crowd surfing guy get pulled down by security it looked like around 1:30 ?

8. SpasticTastic

SpasticTastic

Dec 22, 2012
    Louisiana
    That, or just beat the hell out of the strings just above the neck pickup, or between the last fret and the neck pickup. It's how I get that bright, attacky pickstyle sound when I play fingerstyle. If anything, it sounds brighter.

That, and he probably has an extremely exaggerated setup with his bass' active EQ. His Peaveys tend to have 3-band EQs. probably scooped the mids, and boosted the highs and lows. If you noticed, Rainbow had that really scooped, clangy sound while Heaven & Hell had that rounder, midrangey sound.

9. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Watch at 6:34!
    You have to play over the top of the neck!!!

Kidding. You can get that sound with most any amp and decent speakers if you boost mids to upper mids a bit and play down hard on the strings like Geddy does to where the string is slamming into a fret when it sounds. It is sort of like a slap technique but you are, IMO, bouncing the strings off of the frets.
    This video explains a similar "sounds like a pick but isn't". NOTE what he tells you at about 6:30 in the vid

From the originator, skip to 3:18

IF you fingertips are hardened(many gigs, no soaking in hot tubs or baths prior to gigs, etc), you can get very close to that sound also but plucking very hard. We did a show in an old Houston theater December a few years back and I've a specific patch for duplicating Dusty Hill's version of that dirty clank/pick sound as-recorded at New Orleans' "The Warehouse" live on one of their albums. Sounds like dirt + beating the crap out of the strings, slamming them into a nearly microphonic pickup sound. A venue employee walked up after our soundcheck and said "Did you play that with a pick?" Nope, fingertips + nasty SIM patch in a Line 6 basspodxtlive.
    This sound:

Final note: in the decades of fooling around with "tones", the best way to set amps/preamps is to set them "on edge"(i.e. the edge of being dirty/overdriven) so if you play normally you can get clean sounds and if you play hard(like the above demos) you can get dirty and cut through the mix. YMMV.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    hintz likes this.
  10. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Many, many rock/metal bassists use overdrive of some sort or another. Often it's hard to tell that they're doing so unless you hear isolated tracks or the guitar drops out for a bit.

Once you are using overdrive, though, the tone difference between fingers and pick style is, in my experience, much reduced.

11. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    Paused it, and it looks like Ampeg SVT-2's and 8x10's. He's playing some variation of a Washburn bass as far as I can tell.

Sartori likes this.
  12. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    You know, I never thought about Rudy ever really being a dirt guy, and I have followed him on and off since the early 80's.

Anyway a couple of years ago I came across this clip when he was with Geoff Tate's Queensryche (I actually prefer the current band, not him). Anyway is sounds like he has a little grit going on here

13. He sure has a nice tone

14. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I sorely need study and practice! Very cool learnin's here!