1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i dislike my p-neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by narcopolo, Apr 17, 2010.

1. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    so i bought an sx p-j bass with the maple neck. i love the way it sounds, but i didn't realize that p-necks felt so different from j necks. i've played p's before, but never as much or as intensely as i do with my own instrument. so now, my playing feels a touch clumsier and my left wrist seems to get sore rather quickly. i'd like to get a j neck, but spending an addition hundred or more dollars on something i spent 130 on seems a bit excessive.
    why can i not find a used one anywhere on the internet?

2. I would try to swap with someone here for there jazz neck.

3. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    that sounds like a pretty decent strategy!

4. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    supposing nobody wants to make that trade?

5. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i ask because it doesn't seem like anyone wants an ursa neck.

6. The SX PJ necks are baseball bats. Even their regular P necks are much slimmer. Rondo used to sell replacement necks on their website but I don't know if they still do.

7. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
    worth emailing rondo. i think the guy's name is kurt? i emailed a question about fitting a regular fender neck to an SX bass. he basically told me they're close but not quite. anyway he emailed me back in a grand total of about 30 minutes. definitely great customer service from what i've seen

8. archer121

archer121

Apr 12, 2009
    Will an SX j neck fit the pocket?

9. screaminglucy

screaminglucy

Jul 20, 2009
    TX, USA
    yes, but there will be a small gap on either side (the p neck is slightly wider)

10. archer121

archer121

Apr 12, 2009
    He could shim it with waxed paper or index cards. It'll be hidden by the PG anyway.

11. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Just sell it and go find an old Peavey Fury. Excellent made in USA bass with a jazz neck. Thin and fast.

Paid $75 for mine at a pawn shop.

12. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    If it were me? I'd buy a sanding block and some sand paper and shave it

13. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    How many Ps have you played before? I know that the necks on my SX and my Fender are WORLDS apart, and the SX definitely sucked until I stripped half an inch of laquer off the neck and finished it in tung oil. Now it feels really nice, and looks much better, too.

14. You have to understand that SX's dont really follow the guidelines of Fender
    Jazz basses dont necessarily have thinner profiles at the nut and vice versa
    Even getting a replacement J neck from Rondo wont necessarily relieve you of the wide neck

Granted I love both J and P neck profiles but my SX P/J was pretty dang wide even by P Bass standards..You want a thinner neck? If you arent too picky about fit and finish (and how can you be on an SX?) you can try to retrofit a maple Jazz profile neck from Mighty Mite. I had one on my Squier P/J and it would also fit on my SX but would take some sanding on the neck heel to make it fit nice and tight.
    However, SX bodies are not all the same. Some heels are wider than others so its pretty much a crapshoot

If it were me and if the neck bothered you that much
    I would cut my losses and sell the bass on CL or here on TB
    save a few bucks up and get a Squier Standard Precision Special
    which pretty much is what you want:
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...P-Bass-Special-4String-Bass-Guitar?sku=510569

15. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    thanks guys!
    i'd love to strip the neck and oil it, but i didn't realize it would reduce the size enough to be noticeable. i take it i'd need to citrustrip, then sand with three or four gauges, then tung oil it. is that about it?
    that squire looks nice - i had heard they weren't as nice as the essex, but i'm now wondering if it would've been cheaper in the long run to get that bass instead . . .

16. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    That's why god invented jazz necks.

17. And the god who's name was Leo said, "let there be a thinner neck so that the people will have a choice." So it was said. So it was Done. And the people thought it was GOOD.

:D

18. MasterBass!

MasterBass! Reaching new Highs in Lows!! In Memoriam

"So let it be written.......so let it be done!!"

19. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    i'd actually love to do this as it would allow me to get rid of that trifling finish and oil er up.
    anybody have suggestions for a pictorial or instructions for such an undertaking?

20. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    I would keep it and adapt to it. Just going to take some time.