I do not enjoy like-new basses. There, I said it.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Warpeg, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Weird title, right? Here's the deal. I currently own five electric basses. Two of those are in like-new condition, my Jazz Bass and my Ric 4003. The other three are a P-Bass, Thunderbird, and Glarry Ibanez-looking thing, and they have some bumps and bruises. Here's the thing - I find myself constantly playing the non-like-new basses, but I don't play the like-new basses that often. Why? Well, I've come to the conclusion that I feel compelled to keep the like-new basses looking like-new, so I don't play them as often. When I do play them, I treat them very delicately and never really let myself 'dig in', if you know what I mean. The other three - well, they get played hard all the time since I don't care if they collect more scratches, dings, or dents.

Is this just crazy or does anyone else go through this silliness?

2. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Just think at this way - you play strings, not the bass. That will help you with emotional separation what is what.

3. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I totally get that, but I have no emotional attachment to my basses. I'm in that weird group that thinks of basses simply as tools of the trade that happen to look pretty. However, it's hard for me to play the basses knowing that things like my belt buckle, my wrist watch, or even the zipper on my hoodie will scratch up an instrument that does not yet have any marks on it.

4. Do what your comfortable with. Doesn’t make sense to me but I’m not you. I may be careful with a pricey bass but I don’t own anything that I baby.

jazzyvee and Ampslut like this.
  5. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Here's the deal, you must have seen my 6 string Fodera so that's bothering you.

6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I have quite a few basses and most of them would qualify as basses worthy of being pages in a bass calendar.
    I often play them hard, not Dee Dee Ramone hard, but I certainly wouldn't dream of not playing them, even if I had a relic in the arsenal.
    I don't think letting your basses "collect dust" is a bad thing, but I think if they're good basses, they deserve to be played.

7. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Not sure that I understand this, but it sounds like there's humor involved?

tekhedd, Lee Moses, Snaxster and 4 others like this.
  8. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    My basses probably aren't as nice as yours, but I do make sure that none of them collect dust. When I say that I don't play my like-new basses as often as the workhorses, I mean that they still each get played 15-30 minutes a week, while the workhorses get played 2-3 hours each per week.

Ghastly and jd56hawk like this.
  9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Sure, that's why I put collect dust in quotation marks. I figured you practiced with them...hard not to puck up the Ric and play that, I'm betting.

Warpeg likes this.
  10. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I feel ya. When someone brings a really nice expensive guitar or bass to my place I don't even want to touch it. :)

five7 and Warpeg like this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I get over it once the first ding happens. Basses are meant to be played so have fun with them.

12. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America
    Unless i get a really spectacular deal on something brand new, just about everything i own is purchased used or open box. This saves me from buyers remorse from finding the little quality issues from manufacturers. I also mod almost every Bass in one way or another thus essentially bombing any sort of as new resale. I have been known to just tire of something and throwing it away. I guess if I were looking at gear as an investment of for collecting, i might keep items in more a newish condition. But alas, even a very worn and used instrument from back when now goes for how much?!

13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I used to feel a bit like that.
    Now I don't mind any more, if a bass shows where it's been.
    Worked foir every last scratch and ding. :)

dabbler likes this.
  14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I don't like to buy new stuff in general. I prefer used instruments.
    Actually I have never bought a new bass but from luthiers?
    As a general rule I think we should part with buying new stuff.
    There is more than enough existing general quality use items for pretty much everything.
    Point in case, there are many more basses available than there are bass players already.
    There really isn't no need for a new market or at least not at its current size.

Grapevine921 likes this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You did see the reports about more guitars and basses being sold last year than ever, right? Even with COVID, it was a record year.

16. teh-slb

teh-slb

Sep 21, 2018
    Berlin
    Is playing bass your main source of income? If not, are you compelled to keep the tools you require for your main source of income in like-new condition?

I work on a computer for a living and, every five or seven years, treat myself to a fancy new keyboard. They feel just right when they come out of the box but collect wear and tear and grease and dirt and all other sorts of stuff over time. I don't mind that, however I do get upset when there's a new nick in one of my basses. I wonder why that is.

I prefer my underwear unworn, my toothbrushes unused, and my notebooks unfilled before I buy them :D

17. themickster

themickster

Oct 4, 2015
    England
    I always hang my t-shirt over my buckles when playing.

18. bassandboy

bassandboy

Aug 24, 2018
    Honolulu, HI
    In high school I worked at a guitar store where one of the managers told me that every time he bought a new instrument he’d take out his pocket knife and put a gouge in the back of the headstock. Said that he did it so he could stop worrying about when he’d get the first ding, and could just move on to enjoying the instrument.

19. PrairieThunder13

PrairieThunder13

Dec 21, 2015
    Haha yeah, i like the old beaters. Most of my stuff is vintage and none if it is less than 5yo, so inevitably theres wear through and dings all over the place. I kinda like that.

20. Heck I went crazy buying gear in general since Covid took hold. I know a lot of other people who bought new toys. Some of them are *my* new-old toys now. Hehe.

Rocknroller4 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2021