I do not know what to do!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B8ssMan89, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Okay, I could possibly have $1500 at my disposal for a new bass...
    Now... the r4eal problem is... what the heck am I going to get!
    I've been gassing for a Jaco bass
    Also a Daryl Jones bass
    as with many other basses. I love to play jazz. So I want a bass that is great for jazz! Just throw some suggestions at me

Fellow bassist is Christ,
  2. You want a fretless I take it?
  3. Um... well...

At one point or another, we all want that Jaco Jazz bass... give it time, there are much better values out there. Besides, what a stigma to carry.

Honestly, hold onto the cash for a while until you find something you REALLY want.
  4. TBer snyderz has(had?)a fretless 4 for $900. Here's my(fretted)6. He(Chris Stambaugh)does a 'basic fretless' for $1400.
  5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
  6. So I guess you are leaning towards a Fender style?

How about the Victor Bailey Bass. I would love to have one of those.

Are you looking for fretted or fretless?
  7. fretless, I am really leaning on the Jaco. But please. give me some more fretless bass options for $1500
  8. How about a nice used Sadowsky Metro? There has to be a reason that they get so much attention around here.
  9. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    spc has a pre EB stingray and a Lakland with diamondkote. I'm especially surprised the Ray hasn't sold yet but I'd inquire about both. The Lakland is slightly more than 1500 however.
  10. spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    He also has a fretless Rick Turner Renaissance 4 string for sale as well... ;)

(thanks for the heads up Sarge)
  11. CaM90

Dec 14, 2004
    I think you want a fretless? TRY out a Warwick Corvette 4 fretless or fretted to see how you like it. I'm not to sure if Warwicks would be good for jazz style music. You could try aloso a Stringray fretted or fretless.
  12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'm lovin' my DJ5 w/J-retro.

I haven't played a better bass.

(of course, I haven't played a Sadowsky, or Lull, or any bass over $2K either -- trying to avoid pointless GAS). :D

I couldn't be happier -- it has amazing tonal range from Geddy Lee, to Marcus Miller, to Aston Barrett, and rock-solid construction. The neck feel is so good the bass practically plays itself -- it's lightning fast, and smooth as silk.

The Aero pickups are laughably good. I find myself turning off the J-retro and soloing the bridge pickup all the time.

It's worth looking into the J-retro deluxe (about $75 or so more than regular J-retro) for the vintage tone control since the passive Aero pickups are so great sounding on their own.

Try a Lakland in a store, even if you have to drive a ways, if at all possible. You won't be poorer spiritually from the experience. :D

If you're looking at a fretless, you could always look for a Lakland hollowbody fretless or a Joe Osborn fretless. Warwicks are nice but might not be the sound you're looking for. Fender fretless basses are hit-or-miss; when they're good, they're good, but when they're poorly made, there's not much you can do.
  13. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Have you thought about putting your own fretless J together? If you're comfortable with this, you can get the bass YOU want, and unique too! Or if you don't want to do this, how about a custom Valenti? Not far away from your price range, maybe. What do you think Nino?
  14. WOW! I totally forgot about Nino!!!! I am so sorry Nino!
    Yeah, I will look into Nino as soon as I get the money, so I will know I can get one.
    So, Nino if you read this. I want a fretless. And I want the neck like Jacos. Fretlines, and fret markers. And of course epoxied (sp?)