Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I DO the new rig dance

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Sep 11, 2003.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Guys,

here what i bought, i was in the market for a small and powerful new RIG:

totally made in Italy:

head:
    MARKBASS LITTLTE MARK SLIM HEAD
    [​IMG]

Power 450W/4 ohm, 280W/8 ohm
    Weight 7.6 Kg

full spec chart here:
    www.markbass.it/showheads.php?id=5

cabinet:
    MARKBASS TRAVELER 102
    [​IMG]

Impedance:
    8 ohms
    Power handling:
    400W RMS (AES Standard

full specs chart here:
    http://www.markbass.it/showcabinets.php?id=8

i am really happy, great tone, really clear, supereasy controls, a little bit booty on basses (just as i like) and BIG VOLUME.
    i have also an Ampeg 4x10 cabinet and inthat configuration 6x10 at 4 ohm i have much more volume than i really need.

2. Coco'

Coco'

Apr 24, 2001
    Milano, Italy
    Hey buddy, I'm glad to hear that you have finally bought a marvellous markbass rig.
    You have to make me try it asap.
    Now you can really go to eleven :D
    Coco'

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Sharp rig! That packs a lot of punch in a small package!

Enjoy, Tom.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    thank guys!

i know that B&C makes the woofers for Markbass. but i don't konw much more about B&C company

meekster: do you know something more about B&C?

expensive?

Marbass in italy is the most "bang for the buck" company.

prices?

my head retail for 499 Euros
    my cab has the exact same price.

watch out because in the next months they'll start distribution in Europe an USA.

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    hmm..that seems like a really good price.
    any dealers yet? does it have its own sound? or is it more like trace , ashdown.

thanks and congrats

steve

6. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What's the knob at the right hand end of the EQ section? It looks like 'VLR' or 'VLE' in the photos. 'Very Low Rumble' (like the Ashdown 'Subharmoniser') or something completely different?

[​IMG]

Wulf

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Wait a moment... I see from another section of the site that it's probably 'Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator'... but what does that mean? I'm guessing it's a simulated tube effect rather than sounding like your speakers are fifty years old... :D

Wulf

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    This is a bit off topic, but I am considering buying a piece of bass gear from a fellow in Rome, Italy. He has sent me his name and address and his ebay ID (great feedback), but I am trying to confirm his existence through some form of international people search. So far, I have been unable to find a way to search for someone in Italy. Might you know of any web pages (in English) that I could refer to so that I can see if this guy is giving me good information?

Thanks, Tom.

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    OK guys, I'll try to answer to your interesting questions.

As said before Markbass is an italian company. They were known as Parsek years ago. Now they developed a totally new line that goes under the Mark Bass name. the name is derived from Marco (Mark) De Virgilis who is the engineer who created these amps.

Parsek used to build Ernie Ball Musicman heads too, but Markbass amps are totally and tonally different from those Ernie ball.

Tone wise these amps are solid state and they have a tone that i can not see as similar to others brands. I could try to define it as no frills, just good tone, really warm and silky but really defined yet.

I could try to sau that they are similar to EDEN but less "scooped", more warm, more "natural" and open. To me Markbass has a sound that's good out of the box. Some slappers say that their cabinets lack a little of highs. Some say that their tweeter is not as invasive as SWR or EBS.

they have 4 heads, mine is the LittleMark which is similar to the MESA walkabout head in dimention, then thay have S450 (with parametric mids controls and standard 2Urack space), P501 with tube onboard compressor, T800 with digital powermp capable of 800 watt with really reduced weight. They also use the little mark head for some combos.

For sure thay caused a BIG mouth to mouth here in italy and now thay are really appreciated and much used. they are also starting to have some really noted endorser here in italy.

VLE.
    the knob called VLE is nothing less nothing more than a passive tone. Similar in design to the tone knob you have on your old and loved Fender Jazz bass. This is what i know directly from the Markbass company. I love this feature and i use it a lot. I keep the EQ flat and use the VLE to warm up the sound. The big pro thing is that engaging the VLE even at maximum rating you have a really warm and old school sound, really thumpy and boomy but still defined, it's really different from boosting the basses which can cause a loss of definition.

If you have more questions i'll be happy to help

PS for tombowlus

if you need to know if the guy who's selling you that item is real, you can use www.paginebianche.it otherwise let me know his name via PM and i'll do my best to help you.