I don’t know don’t know don’t know had to think a while…

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Serac, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Serac

May 29, 2005
    Here goes. Only 6 months prior I started listening to music. I don’t know why I never listened before, but the power of music just never struck me hard. I mean there were pop songs on the radios that I sometimes enjoyed, but I didn’t think of it as wholely remarkable, and didn’t think of it any more after I left the car. I had liked some rock before then, and it was Sum 41 and Linkin Park. But the event that I hold to be important was the event that happened 6 months ago, when I got my first CD player. Once that happened, I gathered al my favorite songs, and listen to them a whole heck of a lot. Seven Nation Army was my first rock song that I loved that I can remember, I just listened to it over and over and over and over. :) Even now, I listen to music more than a hour a day most likely, whereas 6 months ago I had barely ever listened. This drastic change foreshadows the big question in my teenage life thus far:

Do I want a bass guitar? What if it’s that I want a guitar, but not a bass?

At the beginning of July I enrolled in a tennis course. I hated it immediately, and dropped out. Though Tennis does not seem to have much relevance to bass guitar, it’s the sequence of events that is important. It’s because I quit the course just after 1 day. The reasons were simple. Though we were there for three hours, we only played for half that tiem. That’s because the classes were so large, the teachers so bad, and the courts were broken with grass growing in the cracks! It pissed me off so much that I quit immediately. Luckily we got a 75% refund after just one class. My parents let me quit, but now they raise a similar question to my sudden interest in bass guitar: Will I get bored of it like I got bored of the tennis class? Buying a base and the equipment will cost between 300-400$, and that’s quite a lot. My parents are afraid that I’ll lose interest, and all that money will be wasted. The rule on Musician’s Friend says there’ll be a refund in 30 or so days, but my parents don’t have too much faith in online corps. I myself think I don’t I lose interest very easily, but the whole tennis situation changed my view? Will I get bored? Will I waste a lot of money? I have played my friend’s acoustic guitar, and it felt pretty good… Dunno what exactly that means… Because even if I do want a guitar I’m not sure if it’s a bass one I desire…

Songs like “Stockholm Syndrome” by Muse inspire me so greatly so, and that’s the kind of music I want to play, that’s what I always think to myself. But I just don’t know if I’m cut out for bass guitar. I’m a bit shy, but at the worst I could just practice in my room until I get a whole lot better, so that’s not too much of a problem…

A further issue is one occurring to college. There is a rumor that if you can play a musical instrument well then you have a higher chance to enter college. I’m not sure if this is true or not, but regardless I tell that to my parents and they seem to believe it, so that helps in my argument to get a guitar. ;)

The biggest question is if I should wait a bit longer to get a bass guitar or not, since I’ve really only been interested in this kind of music for like 6 months. However, if I wait, and if that college rumor is true, my application to college will look less and less impressive. If I start now it’ll say that I’ve been playing for 3 years, but the longer I delay the less impressive it’ll seem.. I do want to grow with an instrument though, but I’m not sure if now’s the right time. To restate, I think I do want bass guitar, but I’m not sure if I’m ready for it. Summer is a long and boring period, where I can waste a lot of boredness on my bass guitar. I don’t know if I’m ready for it, because I’ve really only liked rock music heavily for 6 or so months, and I might suddenly change music tastes. But if I wait too long, my college application thing will seem less impressive, and my chances at a high school rock band (hey, it might happen ;)) will go down quite a bit. So can anyone help me with my problems? :)
  2. McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    The great thing about bass is that there a ton of different techniques. You may get bored with one but there is always another. I got bored of playing fingerstyle alot, so I practiced with a pick for awhile and eventually came back to fingerstyle. If you're interested in playing, I say go ahead and get a bass. And don't worry about Musician's Friend. It's probably the only online store that I have never had a problem with.

And I suggest a SX bass as your first rather than some pack by Squire or Ibanez. Check them out at www.rondomusic.net
  3. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS

There's not point in being afriad of starting something since your afraid of quiting.

Is there a local music store around your area that maybe you can rent a bass for 2-3 months? Maybe ask around with some friends and see if anyone has an used bass?

Most of the bass players I know are shy! Thats the good thing about being a bass player we get attention but not to much.

Remember when getting a bass your going to need these items

A tuner
    A basic tuner is all you really need just make sure it will read bass freq. it should say on the packaging

A metronome
    This is the key to being a good bass player. You HAVE to keep time.

A bass
    This is a tricky one. I would suggest a pawn shop, you really just have to play all the basses you can and see what you like. If you have no idea what your doing just see how it feels. Neck width, weight, string height, looks. Although many people disagree here on basses. You shouldn't have a problem buying a used Fender that will last you awhile. Fender also makes Squire. Squire is the cheaper version of Fender. Its either a hit or miss with Squire you either get really lucky or it will fall apart and you will be unhappy. Musicians Friend has basses called Rogue although I've never bought a Rogue bass several people I know personally buy them and absolutly hate them and their resale value is very low.

If you plan on playing with people in the near future I follow this equation.

Guitar amp x 2 = Bass Amp

Your going to need twice the power of a guitar amp to get the same volume. A 30 watt bass amp vs. 30 watt guitar amp the guitar amp WILL drown you out. If you plan on adding drums there will be no way you'll be heard. If you don't plan on playing with anyone soon a 20-30 watt amp would be fine for practice.

Patch cable
    There have been many debates over patch cables here. My first one was $20 and it has lasted me years and I still acually use it to this day.

Bass Book
    "The Bass Player Book" was my bible when I was starting out. I still use it today its just packed with info.

For a more exercise based book you can't beat
    Mel Bay's Bass Method

Random things
    Depending on how much you know:

Whats the difference between a "Jazz" Bass and a "P" bass?
    Its still a bass there isn't anything really different about them except the shape of the body and the pickups (the things that send the sound to the amp). They still have the same tunings and everything that makes a bass a bass just different versions.

What are some good bass recordings?
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Rush, Primus feature bass thats really in the forefront.

Whats the best bass?
    Its all depends on you! No one can tell you, you really just have to get out there and play as many basses as you can.

Thats all I'll type for now, if you have ANY questions (No matter how stupid) feel free to PM me.
  4. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Well, I can't offer you a whole string of sentences, like the previous posters, but I can tell you this: You'll just know if/when you want to play bass. Your story is similar to mine, in that, I started listening to music heavily at about 13. The next year I had a bass in my hand because I just knew that it was right for me. I'm 15, going on 16, now, and bass is still what my life revolves around.

Don't not buy a bass for fear of quitting, but don't buy a bass if you know you are going to quit. And, heck, if you think guitar is right for you, get one (never thought I'd hear myself say that :p).

That's all the advice I can give.
  5. If you can afford it, get a teacher as well, and follow everything he says. I know I'd be a lot better player if I had have been able to afford that option over the years.
  6. Serac

May 29, 2005

Are sx’s really that much better than squires? I heard the same thing before, but I don’t know… It’s only 90$, maybe I can get a better deal… would that 90$ bass be better than the squire bass in the bass pak? If so, I’d rather purchase them separately. :)
  7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I've owned a couple of SXes and I like them better than Squiers. A note on the list of thing Corbis said you'll need to get. You don't NEED to get any of that stuff except a intrument cable and the cheapest amp you can find. A cheap tuner is an excellent idea also. If money is an issue (and you say it is) all the other stuff can wait.

Something I do think is really important, is that you either find and experienced bass player, or look for a music store in your area that will give your bass a "set up" when you get it. New basses when shipped (especially SX basses) are in dire need of a setup. Climate changes from where it's shipped to your house often make this needed also. A setup is a simple thing to do, but NOT if you know nothing about a bass. It has to do with tightening or loosening a rod called the truss rod in the neck, and raising or lowering how far the strings are (the action) away from the fretboard. If your bass is improperly set up it can be really difficult to play - NOT FUN - or may sound absolutely horrible - making all kinds of unwanted buzzing noises. I can't stress how important this is. When I got my hands on the first bass I ever played I thought it was an impossible instrument. I wound up playing guitar for 10 years becasue of it (hated the guitar) and all I think that bass really needed was a setup. 10 years wasted time. :) I am absolutely a bass player, and love the bass so much more than I ever did the guitar.

Ohhh yeah - if you get a setup wait a few days after you get the bass as it needs to adjust to it's new climate. And if you go to a music store they can charge you anywhere from $15 - - $70. $35 is reasonable, and IMO anything more and they're rippping you off.
  8. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    ------------> www.rondomusic.com <-------------

-If you purchase all of your gearr here you can save ALOT of cash!
    and still have some good quality entry level equiptment.

SX spb-57 (precision Bass) = $89.99

Ibanez 10 Watt bass amp = $69.99

^Both of these can be bought at Rondo Music^

also I would recomend you get a book that can teach you the bassics of Bass. That will probably cost you no more than $15-$20

9. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Just some words of encouragement here...
    If you do decide to pick up bass, congrats first off. Also, don't expect to be able to just pick up and play right off. As with anything, there's a learning curve. Also, everyone hits a hump sometimes where they feel like they're not progressing, or maybe even get bored with bass playing. This can be overcome by just learning something new, even if you don't think you'd like it. A new technique, a new style of music or something. Just stick with it, and all will be fine. Now that you know of TalkBass also, once you do start playing, you can come here for alllll sorts of advice and help! It's a exciting instrument, and there is always something new going on with it , so it never really gets boring, IMO, unless you make it boring. Granted, you may not like playing it for some other reason though also.
    In the worst case scenario, if you do buy the bass, amp, cable and tuner, and decide it's not for you, you can turn around and sell it. You wont get a whole lot back, but at least you'd cut your losses.
    As always, TB is here to help in any way we can. We just reccomend doing a search first, and if you don't get the answers you like, posting a new thread :). I hope you do endeavour down the path of basshood ;) and enjoy it, though it's not for everyone.

10. Serac

May 29, 2005
    thanks for your advice, everyone. :)

A place near me charges 50$... hmm.... I'll keep looking then.
  11. Serac

May 29, 2005
    I HATE to double post, but I have to cause if I just edited no one could help me, and I didn’t want to make a new thread.

Anyway, I followed the suggestion to buy a cheaper bass, and now I’m having trouble picking the amp, since I want to buy them from the same dealer.

From this page, I need a good bass amp reccomendation, please. :)

and do I need a cable with the two, or does it come with it?
  12. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, it depends on your budget really, but if it were me, I would buy the Peavey Microbass... just cos I've used one on many occasion, and it's a very good practice amp.

Edit: Don't worry about double posting. Or even starting a new thread. Just try to do a search prior to starting a new thread. We never have a problem lending a helping hand here though, so don't be afraid to ask :).
  13. Serac

May 29, 2005
    :) Thanks. But I made a deal with my dad, he says taht he's gonna get me an acoustic first, so if I get bored I won't "waste" as much money. Oh well, I just hope they don't try to get me to play that instead...
  14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I think that whether you play an instrument or not is not quite as important as your GPA...;)

Extracurricular interests might make you seem like a more well rounded candidate for higher education than someone whose interests are narrow. I'd put Tennis on the list of activities on your application whether you love it or not. No one is going to force you to do any sport you don't want.

As far as instrument choice, There's nothing wrong with starting on guitar and then going to bass. It's more convenient to write songs on guitar than on bass, because you can accompany yourself better. People on TB keep saying that bass abd guitar are equally easy to learn, so for practical purposes, I'd recommend you start on guitar. (like I did ;) )
  15. An acoustic instrument costs a lot more then an electric one, I seriously doubt you'll "save" any money ...
  16. Serac

May 29, 2005
    though the instruments themselves are about the same, elecs come with amps, cables, tuners, metronomes, and all that stuff... acoustics are just the instruments themselves.
  17. I know ... by the way you'll need the tuner and metronome too with the acoustic.
    I wanted to start as cheaply as possible to, and over here in Belgium, buying an electric with practice amp is cheaper than an acoustic, especially if you buy one of the starter packs.