1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I done got cut up! And paid someone to do it!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by old_skool, Jan 11, 2003.

  1. old_skool


    Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hey guys, whas up? I know its been a long time since Ive last been here, I doubt anyone has noticed.

    Ive been really busy with everything lately, you name it school, work, band....everything. Ive finally got some time off though. I had surgery!

    On Tuesday I had tonsil, adnoid, and major nasal reconstructive surgery. FUN STUFF, let me tell ya! I got to watch the Blues Brothers movie over 5 times along with about 10 others, Im not aloud to lift anything heavier than a gallon, I cant play drums or bass, and to top it off, the most Ive been able to eat in the past 6 days is 3 scoops of ice cream. As you can tell Ive been bored off my arse and thought I would swing by and see how everyone is doing and how things are going.

    What kind of surgerys has everyone else had? What did you do to pass the time?

    My apologies for any spelling or gramatical errors...Im on a lot of drugs. ;) :D
  2. Bardolph


    Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Hey, best wishes to you. Personally, I've never had a surgery, but I'd reccomend minesweeper. What else passes time is www.isketch.net. Two things I like to do whenever I get sick.
  3. embellisher

    embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

    Get well soon, old_skool. I wondered where you had been.:)
  4. Nick Gann

    Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

    Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Good to see you're back, and ok (more or less ;))

    My surgeries? Nothing major... I had my adnoids removed, and tubes put in my eardrums. And my wisdom teeth taken out. That's all that I know of.
  5. SoComSurfing

    SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

    Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Good luck with your recovery. I was wondering where you had disappeared to. I missed your avatar! :D I haven't had any surgeries myself, just a lot of sports-related injuries, mostly concussions. :rolleyes:
  6. I hope you feel better soon man.

    I just recently got my wisdom teeth removed. What a wierd day that was. I don't even remember anything that happened after my IV went in. My cheeks have been puffy for the past week, but it's nothing as serious as your stuff.
  7. Nick Gann

    Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

    Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    When they gave me the drugs to put me out, they told me to count backwards from 100. I got to 99 and then the room started to spin. it was fun :D Then they gave me percoset afterwards. That was fun too :D One of my friends got vikadin for their wisdom teeth operation. Hers were impacted tho, so there was considerably more pain than mine.
  8. old_skool


    Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I asked to keep my wisdom teeth. Theyre hanging on my wall. :D

    Man, not playing bass and drums for over 6 days and soon to be a week is killing me! My ears are so sore. There so sensitive to loud noises.
  9. Johnalex


    Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    ahh geez that sucks..I am supposed to have some nose sugery this summer, to repair some damage done from a bike accident. They are saying that it takes 10 days to recover..so I soon will fell you pain.

    well fell better!
  10. Wrong Robot

    Wrong Robot Guest

    Apr 8, 2002
    I just learned that my Wisdom teeth would have to go...it pisses me off cause preliminary reports from dentists told me that they would probably come in fine...and the top teeth are coming in fine but the lowers are almost horizontal man.

    lets see...I haven't had much surgury in my life....when I was 5 weeks old I had an operation that saved my life. I don't remember what the condition was but it involved a muscle in my stomach that was not supposed to be there and it was constricting my stomach and preventing me from getting proper nutrition from foods and it made me projectile vomit. If I hadn't gotten it removed I would have died as a baby.

    I had all of the first set of premolars removed(baby and adult) to allow my canines and other premolars to have more room to grow(resulting in abnormally large canines)

    and thats about it....I've never broken any bones or seriously sprained anything...I've twisted my ankles and knees but nothing else.

    good luck with the recovery....I'll bet its no fun being held back like that.
  11. I broke both bones in my forearm right below the wrist in 8th grade. Both bones cracked completely through and my hand was hanging to the side of the rest of my arm. My mom drove me to the hospital and not only did I have to wait for 2 hours in intense pain, but they didn't even give me any drugs. When they set it, one nurse grabed onto my elbow while the doctor pulled on my hand to realign the bones. That was the worst pain I've ever felt. Not only that, but the bones didn't set right, so a couple of weeks later I had to go back in for surgery. Luckily this time they knocked me out, cause they had to re-break it and put a pin in it. It definitely sucked. I hadn't started playing bass yet, so it didn't effect that, but my arm and wrist have never been the same.
  12. HeavyDuty

    HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

    Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Ooooh, nasal stuff.

    I had a deviated septum repaired about 7-8 years ago - day surgery, but a week at home recovering. (Note to self - close eyes next time they unpack nostrils and sinuses after surgery. You don't want to see the 12" long 2" diameter pad roll they had up each of your schnozzes.)

  13. Bard2dbone


    Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Wrong Robot-

    What you had is something called Pyloric Stenosis. It is just the sphincter at the end of the stomach is too tight, so the stomach can't empty. Everything that goes in STAYS in...until it comes out...forcefully. In the medical world we call that 'puking for distance' , but we chart it as projectile emesis.:D

    I spent a lot of time in hospitals as a kid. That may have had some influence of my career choices.I've been run over by a wrecker, run over by a tractor,bitten by a rabid dog, had a house fall on me, and once the doctors thought I had a brain tumor.

    Much of my childhood sucked. Then it was downhill from there.
  14. The worst thing that ever happened to me was a spontaneous pneumothorax of the left lung during a game of pool. I won, but had to have surgery a few months later. I was in hospital for ages because one of the entry points got infected.

    Now I've got three ugly looking scars from the keyhole surgery. I tell people I was shot during a convenience store holdup by a thirteen year old junkie. :)
  15. Ryan L.

    Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My wife had her tonsils and adnoids taken out a few years ago. She was so miserable, she said that if she would rather have kept putting up with strep throat and being ill a lot rather than go through that again. It took her a couple weeks to recover.
  16. kaboom133


    Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i had something simalar happen. i brok 1 bone in my lower arm/wrist, and dislocated the other playing soccer. i went to the emergency room, and waited there a few hours with no drugs, then i was told i would have to wait all night, untill i could go to a bone specialist in the morning. i had to sit around in that pain all night. it was the worst thing ever. when i finally went to the bone doc, i made him pump me full of novicane before he went anywhere near me, it felt so good to have that pain go away. they had to restreach the muscles or something like that, because there were no bones connected, and i sat with it like that over night, but i didn't feel a thing! i love novicane:)
  17. Nick Gann

    Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

    Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
  18. Nate Dawg

    Nate Dawg

    Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I dislocated my shoulder last year while I was snowboarding. I had to sit in the hospital for about 4 hours before they could fix it. They knocked me out and when I woke up about 20 minutes later I was in a sling and being wheeled out to the car.

    My shoulder still gets sore very easily. I think I'm at about 90% of where I was before in terms of strength and flexibility in that arm.

    I remember that I was supposed to leave the sling on for 3 weeks, but I took it off a week early for a gig. Luckily I didn't have to move my 80 lb Peavey 410TX.
  19. Hope you get better soon!

    Most surgery I ever had was reconstructive. I got knocked in they and broke the bones in the socket. They had to go in and fix up the bones. I only spent a day in the hospital, still wasn't fun. But it healed pretty quickly.
  20. Dave Castelo

    Dave Castelo

    Apr 19, 2000
    a year ago I had a rhinoseptoplasty (or something like that)... they reconstructed my nasal septum because when I was a little kid, a TV landed on my face and deviated my nose... this lasted all my childhood and puberty.

    it was a relatively small surgery (still I had to be under general anesthesia)

    no complications, beautiful nose :D

Share This Page