1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I don't always solo on bass...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by fbny71, Aug 17, 2012.

1. fbny71

fbny71 Supporting Member

May 28, 2010
    West Hempstead, NY
    Credit: Best Bass Gear's Facebook Page

Attached Files:

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    i lol'd

3. Ha ha ha Good one! I never know why bass soloing is frown on. When you study jazz the bassist is expect to take a solo everyone looks forward to it as a major accomplishment as a bassist. But when you switch genres you are look at like why the heck are they stopping the song for that stuff. Why expected in one form of music so readily and not the others?

4. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Ah, but if the solo is good and placed well no explanation is required in any genre.

Solo ends in a timely fashion and people forget what they were complaining about, we're back to the chorus now.

'nuff said , any more and my post sucks as much as the solo.....

5. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I never want a solo. I can do one, but it takes me away from being in the pocket and enjoying it so. But, it almost feels like they might as well say, "Now, everyone stop what yer doin' for something really weird--a bass solo." Yuck, I wanna just wave my hand and let's move on.

6. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    THAT'S funny!

Solos (especially extended) are often overrated for many instruments as far as the general public is concerned IMO & IME. While there are groups with a following that might contest the statement......I speak in broad terms for the popular music one typically hears at the average venue.

7. fbny71

fbny71 Supporting Member

May 28, 2010
    West Hempstead, NY
    I agree wholeheartedly. The older I get and the longer I've been playing, the more important the song is above all else.

8. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i read somewhere that if someone walked in during your solo ,
    they should be able to at least recognize the song you're playing ...

so yeah , my solo's sound basically like the song i'm playing ,
    and are usually just a slight variation of the main body ...

i think it helps keep the crowd somewhat interested .

:ninja:
    :cool:

9. I understand everyone's point of view here as players and our findings mine included. It is just so strange that a jazz player can take a solo and be met with roar of the crowd and staying ovation he is consider and innovator a creative force in his field and he can be in a place the next night playing a different type of music and be consider a time waster. Tough for me to grab my head around.

10. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Lots of bass solos sound like crap. My favorite one is at 4:31 of Spastikc Ink's The Mad Data Race, played by Pete Perez. Very nice bass sound & the solo is clear & articulate. I don't like bass solos that sound like a big jumbled mess.

11. fbny71

fbny71 Supporting Member

May 28, 2010
    West Hempstead, NY
    Sure but Jazz is an exception to the rule...IMHO.

Certainly at a concert for anything considered in any way, shape or form popular music, solos should be kept to a minimum and completely serve the song.

12. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    I agree. Those 5 minute drum/guitar/bass solos where they just play there by themselves are pretty ridiculous. I like the YYZ bass solos because they're very short and they suit the song very well.

13. Haha that's awesome.

14. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I have sometimes held my bass up to my teeth while playing the simple bass interlude on Brown Eyed Girl, all to the amusement of the band, LOL.

15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I dont always solo on bass, but when I do it's E E E E E E E G F

16. You let me know the next time you wanna do fortissimo blast beats, double bass, and eight note snare hits at 320 BPM the next time you want to play Autumn Leaves.

It's expected in death metal and will receive a standing ovation. But in jazz?

17. Ha...

when I do... Its usually the same line I was playing the rest of the song

18. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

Oct 17, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    bass┬Ěsolo
    1. a piece of music on bass guitar performed and listened to by one person

19. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    "I don't always kick a_s, but when I do I prefer to kick your a_s!"

Why is it that when I listen to jazz quartets etc. the bass solo usually sounds like a bunch of crap - especially compared to all the really great walking bass lines throughout the rest of the song. Anyone else notice this or have examples of really good bass solos in a jazz piece?

- Thanx.

20. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    Agreed. One of my favorites is Andrew Levy on the Brand New Heavies' "You Are the Universe". The solo starts as an amped up version of the chorus groove, has a minor 2-bar deviation from the motif, then thumps it back into the groove just in time for a pre-chorus.