I don't get it (Joris?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flatwound, Dec 5, 2000.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    OK. I have some miscellaneous equipment laying around that I'm trying to assemble into a backup bass rig. Here's the part I don't understand. I have a Kustom III powered PA head that would supply the power. The EQ is not voiced for bass, and I mostly get midrange boom from it. So I hooked it up to the line out on my Fender RAD practice amp to see if it would give me better tone that way, leaving the PA EQ flat. It was better, but the practice amp gain seemed too high, and a lot of noise resulted. So I plugged the line out from the practice amp into a direct box (Whirlwind passive, no attenuation) and ran a mic cord into an XLR mic input. Presto. The noise was gone (except for the traditional Kustom hiss), and I had reasonably good control over my tone. This gives me some hope, but I sure don't understand what is happening. Maybe if I run a decent equalizer (with some low-bass boost) into the XLR in, I'll have a useable setup. The PA head doesn't have a line input.

The reason I'm doing this is because I leave my main rig at church, which is my only steady gig currently. This would give me an amp I could use for casual, jazzy type stuff that I may be doing occasionally. The head I got free, and I have an old 1x15 cab that sounds OK, so it's a really low-budget deal. Any advice, or explanation of the above would be appreciated.
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I'm no Joris, but I'm guessing that the direct box simply got rid of some noise-generating grounding loops in your upstream equipment. Too bad grounded XLRs aren't the industry standard for bass amplification.