I don't get it...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 1bassplayinfool, Jul 31, 2019.

1. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Gold Supporting Member

Why would a package have to be routed this way? :D

staticmap.png

2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Efficiency.

Flooflox, Sixgunn, lucas303 and 26 others like this.
  3. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Backups or road work on I-5?

4. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    It didn't know the way to San Jose?

wo-wo-wowo-wo-wo-wowo-wo...

5. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Count yourself lucky it's staying on the west coast.
    I seem to remember someone here posting a similar routing map that included Denver in the trip from San Diego to Portland (or somewhere in Oregon, anyway)

6. Platano Muse

Platano Muse

Mar 31, 2013
    Long Beach
    Don't know, but I recently got a Sonic Research ST-300 mini tuner that went from Nevada to Seattle to Long Beach, CA.. Just happy it got here..

7. 1bassplayinfool

Not that I'm aware of...

:roflmao:

Happens all the time... turn a 60 mile trip into a 600 mile trip...

A day late and a dollar short ;)

8. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    It certainly explains why shipping rates continue to increase.

JRA, mattbass6945, JC Nelson and 6 others like this.
  9. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Shipping logistics are managed by modern state-of-the-art AI algorithms. Unfortunately, state-of-the-art AI software is coded by modern human beings relying on an ever-increasingly-tangled-web of dodgy downstream code that was hastily slapped together over the last decade to maximize short-term profits...

fhm555, Wavebird, nixdad and 21 others like this.
  10. Robert B

Robert B Somewhere under the rainbow Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Rittman, OH, USA
    I'm betting at least some of the younger folks don't have a clue what you're talking about. And now that I've commented on that, they are googling it. :D

11. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    It's kinda funny to see this today, actually. I have a relative who is currently beside herself that a shipment from one city in Georgia to another, only an hour away, has suddenly been re-routed through Alabama. :laugh:

I also had a shipment a couple of years ago with tracking showing it coming from Kentucky, through Tennessee, to middle Georgia, then to the Atlanta distribution center. So far, so good. But it languished there for three days, then was suddenly sent on trip back up to to Memphis [bleeping] TN, before being sent back to Atlanta, then BACK TO MEMPHIS a second time, back to Atlanta again, and eventually to me. An order placed on November 3rd was finally in my hands on the 25th.

This was to have been a birthday present for one of my nieces, too. They blew deadline that by several days, and several hundred miles. I compiled a huge screenshot of all the tracking, annotated it with commentary, and sent it to the merchant. They reimbursed the order just to make up for the stupidity of it, and for missing my niece's birthday.

Isn't modern life wonderful. :p

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    JRA, wildman2, pcake and 3 others like this.
  12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Simple. Trucks don't go directly from the vendor you buy from directly to your house (unless we're talking pizza).

Your package ships from a distribution center, not matter what you order or who you order it from. The vendor is either the green or purple map marker.... for the sake of discussion the purple. The blue map marker is the distribution center. The green marker is you. (Could be backwards but the point is the same.)

It would cost a lot more for the vendor to have trucks and employees ready to go to run your item across town than it costs to throw your package in a pile with all the other packages and wait for Big Brown to pick it up with all the others.

13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    So well put...

BooDoggie and SactoBass like this.
  14. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Needs more time, it hasn’t been lost or damaged yet.

JRA, lucas303, jackn1202 and 10 others like this.
  15. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I’m gonna need to see the tracking details from a shipment prior to legalization before I give an opinion.

JRA, Jon McBass, Sid s and 1 other person like this.
  16. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    FEDEX, who invented the idea of 1 day shipping, pioneered the idea of simplifying the routing of packages - essentially minimizing the amount of decisions, and therefore the number of people doing the sorting (its now computerized, I'm sure). Their idea was simple. Everything from everywhere in the USA gets put on a plane (0 decisions) and sent to Memphis - all of it is flown in around midnight to 2 AM. Stay in the Days Inn under the runway (about a quarter mile off the end, if there's any justice that place has been bulldozed by now), and you'll get a night of non-sleep you'll never forget.

In Memphis, at the airport FEDEX facility on the grounds, everything is sorted once, and then goes on to whatever plane it needs to get on to be delivered the next morning. The planes then take off (waking the folks in the Days Inn for another couple hours). At the destination airport, it goes sorted into trucks, etc, and gets delivered. The whole point of this scheme is that it's fast, and you touch the package very few times. Judged in that way, it's efficient.

What happened to your packages is an improvement (of sorts) in the process, in that it went a shorter distance to a hub, and then shipped to you - computerization is likely what made that feasible to do without adding people and labor costs, and it no doubt saved them some fuel on some form of transportation compared to going halfway across the country. Given another decade of optimization, and raising fuel rices, they'll likely figure out how to shorten the route even more.

Jhengsman, HCF, Sid s and 5 others like this.
  17. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Reminds of the time I flew from Dayton OH to Washington DC, via Atlanta. I guess I had to be sorted.

JRA, pcake, TonyRo and 6 others like this.
  18. 1bassplayinfool

I understand that, I worked at a distribution center for 10 years. This was an in stock item about 60 miles from me. Thanks Ebay :laugh:

19. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    You must have been on Delta. Delta (THE big airline in the South) flies everyone through Atlanta - their hub. There's an old joke about the South:

When you die, no matter whether you're going to Heaven or to Hell, you're going on Delta, and you're going through Atlanta.

20. MF-Winzlow

MF-Winzlow

Mar 1, 2019
    Cntrl FL
    Because the shipping "hub" (distribution facility). Packages are routed to a hub, sorted, routed to a local delivery facility then loaded on the appropriate vehicle for delivery. They do not pickup and deliver from a vehicle. Packages must be routed and tracked through the delivery stream.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021