1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I don't get it.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by H2ODog, Apr 27, 2010.

1. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA
    I quit this group i was playing with recently because they were just not getting anywhere. So now i'm looking for other opportunities.

Mainly i have been looking in CL and have found a few that i thought would be a good fit. When i e-mail them they always reply and ask me to show up and jam, no phone call so i can tell if these guys are sane, no anything.

I usually reply that i would like to get a set list or some songs they play, and that is when the communications stop. This is the fourth time in the past few weeks.

What am i doing wrong? Is it too much to ask to see what songs they have been playing?

2. DeluxeRed

DeluxeRed

Jun 2, 2009
    Perhaps they expect you to do some research on your own. If someone was applying for my band, I'd at least expect them to have a really good idea of what it is we play. It's not like we're not all over ms and fb. They probably went with they guy who sez "I see you play Death Metal. Norwegian or Continental?" or "You do lots of older covers. I have a solid Classic Rock repertoire." Can you make those kind of statements?

You are correct to be security-conscious (are they sane?), but you need to come across like you know everything there is to know, and that you'll be a positive asset, not a training liability. So, find out what you're getting into, and be prepared when you talk to them the first time.

3. Here's a bump to say I have no idea what the deal is & I do not see the humor here, or gig story.

4. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    What are you doing wrong? I believe what you're doing wrong is failing to recognize that people who don't actually have a song list, but just "show up & jam", are not worth wasting your time on.

They're doing you a favor, identifying themselves as low-level amateurs. It's up to you to use that information.

5. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    I don't know..... It seems a bit odd.....

Maybe just try not asking for a list next time. I assume that you already know their influences when you reply to the ad? Maybe just show up to jam, and if they ask for you to play a tune, tell them that you'd be willing to learn it for next time (assuming that you like them in the first place).

6. I would reply to an ad with, "I know a ton of cover band standards. Send me a recent set list and I'll pick out 5 or 6 to play for an audition."

Presuming that it's true, of course. It shows you have some repertoire and that you know how to succeed in an audition. They'll know what to expect from you when you show up.

The phone calls to make sure they're sane are also smart.

7. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA

Yes, you are right. I should have posted this on Band Management.

8. H2ODog

H2ODog

Sep 30, 2003
    Roseville, CA

I think this is the issue. When i was in a band and we were looking for another guitar i would tell them what songs we were playing. Maybe the lack of response is because they don't really have a list of songs and are just screwing around.

9. This, this and this.

10. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Screw CL, try bandmix.com

11. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    They're doing you a favor. Do you really want to be in a band that can't send someone a set list or return phone calls? Don't get your hopes up using CL. That way you're pleasantly surprised if you happen to find something good.