1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I don't hate many things

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by CrewsControl, Aug 21, 2012.

1. But when I do, I hate them on Facebook.
    :hyper: :eyebrow: :rollno: :spit:

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Facebook doesnt have a hate option, though.

I swear, they need a *Dislike* button. Sometimes I want to show my disapproval of things.

3. nothing is official until it is on facebook. nothing.

4. Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes.

5. ironic irony is the most ironic of ironies. and the best irony for metal:bassist:

6. Yes, metal can be iron-y, I agree.

7. i c wut u did there

8. it can also be ironic.

I truly wish there was a dilike button as well, however, itd probably need to be anonymous judging how people react to certain comments sometimes...

9. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Unless you have irony poor blood

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I started making a conscious effort a year or so ago to stop using the word hate. It was directly from a thread I was participating in here in TBOT.

We used to have a "like" button here, but it disappeared.

-Mike

11. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I also try and not use the word hate, especially in regards to people, but also for other matters.
    Im not a hater.
    When I catch myself I substitute the word 'dislike' in its place.

12. Unprofessional

Unprofessional

Mar 5, 2012
    There are appropriate uses for hate but they are few and far between. That's a good thing as a genuine hate takes up a lot of energy.

You've succumbed to the modern fad of calling anyone who disagrees with you a "hater". Calling someone a "hater" is a tactic that is intended to shut that person up.

13. I'm with you. There are a lot of overused words that don't really mean what people want to mean when they say them. Hate is a very strong word, and it doesn't really apply to my opinion about the latest Batman movie, or the taste of artichokes, or even the people who politics are bass-ackwards.

I also avoid using the word "awesome" unless Jesus happens to return or the sun decides to go supernova. Those are situations where the term "awesome" is an apt description.

14. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I have? I was unaware, being that I dont generally call people that.

I am, however, guilty of overusing the word awesome.
    What, Im in awe of a lot of things...

15. I don't hate (many) things but I hate on plenty of things because it's kind of fun sometimes :D. When used seriously, I feel like the word is far to strong for the majority of things I think about so I stick to "dislike" as well.

16. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Yup, when you use the word rarely that makes all the more powerful when you do use it. I try not to use profanity but every once and a while the old me slips out. If I use those words people are startled.

17. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    IMHO, the main problem with Facebook & Twitter is that it gives everybody a soapbox and therefore gives the illusion that people might care what they think.

I am on Facebook, but mostly for Scrabble. Had that disappeared, I would've closed my account ages ago.

18. Ditto on everything. I don't mind profanity when other people use it these days but when I was younger everyone who did it was an absolute idiot and I wanted to separate myself from that as much as I could.

19. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    But people looking have to care to some degree or they wouldn't be looking, right? Even if it is just for cheap entertainment.

20. iJazz

iJazz

Jan 9, 2012
    Sussex, WI
    "Homey don't do no Facebookin'."

Awesome is something of an occupational hazard, given the number of "millennials" I work with.

Hate? If I happen to hear it coming from my mouth, I hate it. That I said it, that is.

iJazz - "Awesomely faceless"