I don't have a P...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pennydreadful, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    So I'm thinking about getting a precision, and...that's right, I don't have one. I've never had one. I've never even considered buying one up until now because single coils are just 'my thing', but now I'm thinking I want to have that big bottom available to me, and I'm also looking for that chunkier neck.

-So, I want some suggestions. These are the requirements:
    - Around or under $700
    Has to be retro/vintage lookin- none of this 'modern crap, no flame tops, etc.; has to have a pickguard
    -I think I'm looking for either a natural finish or a light transparent finish

Right now I'm looking at a couple of Fender Japan P's at guitarjapan.com (http://guitarjapan.com/fenderjapan/spec_precision-bass/pb70-70us.html and http://guitarjapan.com/fenderjapan/spec_precision-bass/pb57-80us.html) so that'll give you an idea of the kind of thing I'm looking for.

I'm also thinking about the '51 reissue, but I'm a little wary of that unprotected single coil, and I would really love to get something I don't have to mod.

Anyway, gimme some suggestions, thoughts, opinions about the ones I've mentioned, etcetera

ps: Yeah, I know about the search function. I'm looking for feedback geared specifically toward what I want in a P.
  2. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    You can get American P basses on E-bay for $700.00 of less.
    I just pickup a new American P bass my first. I've owened many Fender Jazz basses but I'm loving the P bass. Good luck
  3. I'd love to get rid of my MIM Jazz bass for a Maple-necked P
  4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    You should really take a look at the Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub (modeled after '64 P). If you want retro vibe with top-notch quality here it is.

Fenders aren't the only P's out there!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I know, but Glaubs are gonna be too expensive for me, I reckon.

And I forgot to mention earlier- it's gotta be a passive, fretted 4-string.
  6. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I got mine for $850 with free shipping. Maybe you can talk them down a little bit?
  7. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Maybe so. I noticed that Basscentral has the Skyline Glaub in a few different colours, but Lakland's site says it only comes in black...can you shed any light on that?

One thing that bothers me about the Lakland is the headstock. I just don't like the looks of 'Fender copy' headstocks, if that makes sense.

So how does your Glaub play/sound? You've kinda piqued my interest in a Lakland now...you jerk. :p
  8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Soooooo happy with my brand new Peavey Millenium Standard P-J...
  9. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I don't really like Peavey (bass-wise, they make some pretty solid amps) and I don't think I want a PJ combo. I have a jazz, and now I think I want a straight P, y'know?

I'm glad you like yours, though. :smug:
  10. Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Maybe the Fender Mike Dirnt P bass?
  11. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Y'know, I strongly considered that for a long time, based mostly on looks (the white one..yum). I assumed the pup would be great, but when I finally played one, it just seemed to lack soul somehow. It didn't sound bad, just didn't have enough of its own 'identity' for me. Hope that makes sense.
  12. gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    [​IMG] I have a CIJ Blue Flower 54 Fender P bass (tele style), with one of those single coil things. I tried a few different pickups and have actually gone back to the fender model. Those pickups aren't anywhere near as bad as you think. I find them quite able to get a variety of sounds.
  13. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Well first of all it's all the little things that sold me on the Glaub over a USA Fender P.

1) Lindy Fralin pickups. They nail that vintage sound REALLY well. I love playing classic rock with it :hyper: .

2) Vintage (small) frets. Less of a "clack" when you slam the string down on the fret. There is also some ongoing debate as to whether having smaller frets allows the properties of the fingerboard material come through more (rosewood=mellower, maple=snappier, etc). But also having smaller frets mean they'll wear down faster. Not a problem for me though as I use flats.

3) Vintage neck width. I prefer chunkier necks.

Vintage P nut width=1.75"

Modern P nut width=1.625"

Modern Jazz nut width=1.5"

4)Outstanding customer support. The president of the company will personally answer your questions!!!!!!! Fender can sometimes be a big, faceless company that doesn't care about your problems.

5) Dan Lakin specifically designed the Skyline series to go head to head with the USA Fenders quality-wise. Very strict quality control. I felt no apprehension about ordering without playing one first.

The only things a USA Fender P has over a Skyline Glaub is a series switch (why would you want to make a P brighter?) and graphite rods in the neck which are of arguable value.
  14. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    OK, I looked at the website and I really hope that's a mistake. Though it was true that the Skyline didn't have as many options as the USA it still had atleast 4-5 different colors to choose from.

Here's what my Glaub looks like:

If you want something special done you can actually get that done through BassCentral. I wanted my Glaub setup BEAD with Chromes (STUPID STUPID STUPID :scowl: ) which Lakland did for free!!!!!! Quickly came to regret this though and just a a couple of weeks ago I finally got it converted back to EADG with TI Jazz Flats. It plays like butter :cool: .

I'm extremely pleased with this bass. I gotta get back to learning Danzig 1-4 as soon as I can pry myself from this computer.
  15. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    You should check out a Fender Classic '50s P-Bass. It seems to be just what you're looking for. I own one, and I think it's great.

Classic '50s P-Bass
  16. rock!

when ever i tech for bands i play twist of cain and not of this world for sound check.....
  17. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I second the Glaub. I've owned several Fender P basses and a Glaub. This may be an apples and oranges comparison, but my Glaub had the thinner Joe Osborn neck and I can't say enough about the bass. I loved the neck and it sounded great. To be honest, I just sold it to buy another Glaub, one of the Dude Pit Special Editions (with a Dark Star pickup). I was looking for something a little more "unique."

If you keep your eyes open you'll probably be able to find a used Glaub in your price range.
  18. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Wow, that's a great-lookin bass!

Appreciate all the info Squid and Peabody...guh, I dunno what to do...

About the '50s P- I have looked into that, and it looks like it might fit the bill, but I need pics. I DEFINITELY don't want a red one, and pics of any other colour seem to be nonexistent. I mean, I know what they'll look like, but that's just not the same as seeing them. Another problem with that is I'd have to order one without playing it, and I don't 100% trust Fender QC.
  19. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    +1,000 i'm also in the market for a skyline glaub j/taper
    peabody, i just missed yours by a day,but i'm on the lookout :meh:
  20. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Okay, the Glaub is sounding pretty nice. And I've looked into the '50s P before, but I don't think it's gonna do it for me, for a few reasons. One-I can't find any pics of one that's not red. I don't like red. Two- it seems to basically be the same thing as the Japanese '57 RI I'm considering, except...not as cool.

So the contenders now are:

Fender '51 P
    Fender Japan '57
    (used, probably) Skyline Glaub

Now I need deal-breakers. Give me stuff that eliminates one of these possibilites, or something that will make one so much better that there's no contest.

Some things to consider:

I've played a '51 before, and I really liked it. That gives it a bit of an edge. The only thing I'm worried about is the pup. I hear what you're saying Gamera, but I'm not worried about sound or versatility- I'm worried about the pup being able to take a beating since it's just...exposed.

I won't be able to play a Glaub or the Fender Japan before buying, and I think the Glaub has a bit of an edge there. I trust Lakland QC a bit more than Fender's. However, the Fender just has a cooler vibe to me. But then, the Glaub seems to have better craftsmanship, plus the Fralin, which is definitely intriguing.

I'm looking for that woody thump, kinda Motown-ish, for retro/garage rock kinda stuff, but I also want it to be able to get really dirty and a bit overdriven without losing its P-bass-ness.

As far as the neck- I like a chunky neck, but not wide chunky- deep chunky. A bit of width is fine, but what I really like is depth. A nut width of around 1.5" is preferable, but I want it to be thicker than a standard C-shaped jazz neck...