i dont have that much money.!.!.!.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassIsTheBest, May 31, 2002.

1. BassIsTheBest

May 17, 2002
    I have asked of your opinions for beginner basses before, but I need some advice again since i just bought a new bike.

What are your thoughts about the Jay Turser JTB-440 and the Yamaha rbx 170

2. Go with the Yamaha. I'm not even gonna grace any Jay Turser with a review.

You'll be so much happier with the Yamaha.
  3. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Put some extra cash and get an OLP.. i think OLP would be better than a Yamaha RBX170 (Those things exist? I thought the lowest one was 260)

Yamaha 760s are great as well.. for around $400-500

4. tummage

Apr 23, 2002
    New Orleans, La
    Have to disagree with you there.
    I bought a Jay Turser LP copy for my 12 year old for Christmas. It is worth way...way more than the cheap price tag. So much so I have purchased a 445 wich is the 5 string version of the one you're interested in buying. By the way, my other Basses are a Tobias, the good ones, A handmade BC Rich from the 70's, '72 precision, a Barrington (if you have one I'll buy it!),
    so I am no stranger to "good" basses and have been playing for 25 years pro.
    The Turser, in my opinion, is far superior to the Yamaha Rbx. Tone wise, playability, price. I know a fellow bassist who has one as a backup and I borrowed it for a set once. No comparison.
    Please, do yourself a favor and judge the bass on it's merits and not it's name. Even the mighty Fender was "new" once.
    Just my opinion,
  5. BassIsTheBest

May 17, 2002
    Thanx for the advice guys,
    I'll have to try them out myself now, to decide.
    There are no OLP'S around here, so I can't get that.
  6. Tummage,

not trying to start an argument with you here, just relaying my experience with Jay Turser basses.

I played the Hofner Beatle bass copy, and it was a hunk of trash. I also played the Rogue copy, and actually prefered the Rogue. that is the only turser I've had the unfortunate experience of playing. I'm glad you're happy with yours, I guess sometimes you get more than you pay for, eh? I know my Squier is far above some MIM and MIA Fenders I've played. You never know, a diamond in the rough perhaps?
  7. tummage

Apr 23, 2002
    New Orleans, La
    No argument, I just assumed he was talking about the low end RBX's. I have tried several Turser's and have been impressed to varying degrees by most. Of course I'm not saying they play like my Tobias, but for 150 male deer, they play like a 6 or 700 dollar axe.
    Maybe, you got unlucky with yours. I hate when I get exicted about something and it turns out to suck..er umm not live up to my expectations.
    Sorry for you.
    Bass is best I reccommend you try whatever bass you intend on buying. sometimes even boutique stuff can be kinda dead.
    There is never a substitute for a bass that just flips your twinkie, ya know;) .
    Just my opinion,
    K-Oz I appreciate yout point of view and respect your right to have one. No problem here, my friend