I dont know, am I missing something??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Microbass, Mar 7, 2003.

1. ..

Im back into one of those musical slumps, and everytime i see anothe rbassist play something, even people who DONT play bass, it always looks so.. good.

Maybe I'm just angry becuase people think one bassist is good becuase he can play Flea or Hendrix's bass licks.. But really, when it comes down to my OWN music, it doesnt sound funky, or grroovey.. its just.. there. dull and boring. and thats using different techniques...

Is there something about the music I listen to & play that I'm missing that seriously causes to my playing to suck?

..rant over.. :meh:
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Well, it's not because of your nationality.....look at Hamish Stuart.

Have you tried putting away your bass for a week or two and just listening to players you dig???

As Will Lee said in an article, a "bass vacation" can work wonders. I do it every year and come back totally refreshed and inspired. Otherwise, I get "tunnel vision" and my playing gets really formulaic and boring.
  3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What is the music you "listen to and play"? Your profile doesn't give many clues ;)

4. rick, right now, not an option, but maybe I should consider it in a 2-3 weeks...

wulf; i listen to EVERYTHING.

That goes form punk, to classical, although, only certains pieces/song i listen to most things out of old school rock & punk...

i also really dig jazz right now; weather report, marcus miller, jaco, vic. wooten..
  5. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Hmmmm.... sounds like it might be a good time into looking at a lesson or two.

If you can't do that, how about recording yourself and listening back with a critical ear - what works, what doesn't work and, most importantly why?

That will then provide some clues about what you ought to focus on in your practising.

6. Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I think we all feel like you at times Microbass, it's normal. Are you in a band? I've found that my worst slumps happen when I'm not playing with anyone and am just woodshedding and learning songs I like. When I play with others (original tunes) I don't worry about it and let the music flow :)
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

What gets me my paychecks isn't necessarily what I listen to, wulf.

Playing in a couple of bands that gig constantly, there is so much music that is "forced" on me. And that's just business.

But, when I can get away, I try to get outside what I "have" to listen to and I get exposure to music/bands I know nothing about or haven't heard for so long.
    For instance,

- there's a website, http://altmusic.about.com/cs/upcomingbands/index.htm that exposes me to music from what they term "Up and Coming bands."
    - the radio channel broadcasts available for free on RealPlayer expose me to a lot of music I can't hear anywhere else
    - to keep in touch with my past, I listen to the "Beaker Street" show on certain nights http://beakerstreet.com/1stpage.htm where they play material like Alice Cooper's "Ballad of Dwight Frye", Hendrix's "Machine Gun", Savoy Brown's "Hellbound Train", Humble Pie's "I Don't Need No Doctor" and all the other music that shaped today's rock.
  8. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Actually, I meant what music does Microbass dig - but there isn't a way to lock a thread when you're answering ;)

Like you, I try to listen to stuff that's new to me, as well as digging out the favourites - I've signed up to Emusic.com to help me do this for not too much money.