Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I DONT KNOW MUCH BOUT THIS

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by METALHEAD, Aug 22, 2005.

1. can you put flat wounds on any bass(including fretted) and what kind of sound and playability do you get.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes you can, and the sound you get is more of a thump than a ring. New flats sound like roundwounds without that trebly bite to them, and old flats sound very bassy and don't sustain. Me, I prefer old flats. Mine are 6 years old now. If I want sustain and bite, I'll play a bass with roundwounds on it.

3. METALHEAD you are in great company. Fretted bass + flatwound strings = James Jamerson's setup.

If you don't know who Lord Jamerson is, dig that many old skool metal bassists cite him as an influence.

Who can help me list metal bands with bass players who used flats? did Entwistle use flats regularly?

4. Steve Harris from Iron Maiden uses flats...he even has his own signiture set of Rotosounds

And I suspect Cliff Burton from Metallica used flats on his Rickenbacker 4001(Kill 'em All) but I'm not sure about that one