1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I DON'T KNOW WHAT GENRE I FIT INTO....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by de la mocha, Nov 5, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    I don't know my style. I play gospel in church, everything from contemporary, to soulful and traditional and borderline blues gospel.

But at home, I do rock music. I don't want to do Christian Rock, but the music I do is uplifting, fast and loud. The bass is very melodic and drives the song and the guitar just adds flavor or supports the bass. I like to write fast songs where the bass moves the song, and also medium tempo songs too.

The songs I write has to deal about love, relationships, being bored with your 9 to 5 and wanting to have fun, poverty, financial responsibility, crazy poetry, and staying true to yourself.

I like ska which is reggea mixed with rock but I'm not sure what punk is because I'm just now getting into rock in roll but this girl says one of my songs is punk rock.

My influences are classic rock, psychedelic rock, ska, reggea, and I love live albums.

Here is a short clip of one of my songs. I have no idea what genre I fall into. Am I punk rock, ska, progressive? Who knows? I need help. I'm just now getting into rock....! :meh:

Here's a short clip of something I wrote last night. Although this is the slowest song I've done, it describes my style!

http://download.yousendit.com/AA2E9799121B6E1B

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    EU
    There's one thing when it comes to genres.. let others sort you out.

3. uhh.. definitely pop delta jazz tech-ska

4. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
  5. hmm that ones leaning towards the more alternative pseudo indy rock side of things

6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Before your worry about genre's, you should know what they are.

7. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Congratulations, you aren't sticking to the same old same old. The day I find all my playing in one nice little niche is the day I quit.

8. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    I would like to hear this song about financial responsibility.

9. TeeMartin

TeeMartin

Jul 18, 2006
    Symphonic Black Metal with a touch of reggae

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Stop worrying about it.

11. +100

12. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    +2

there are more important things to worry about, like writing more songs.

NOW GET BACK IN YOUR HOLE AND DON'T COME OUT TILL YOU HAVE A NEW SONG!!!

:bag:

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Alternative. Yep that's alternative. I know alternative when I hear it, and that's alternative.

But seriously, I'd call the first one "scales, some up, some down, but all at the same time" and the second one "wandering aimlessly in the desert."

14. :D

15. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    why do you need some stereotypical label to let society put on you on a shelf with others like you?

just do what you do. and do it well.

16. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    You guys are right, screw genres and just keep on rocking! :bassist:

17. I figured someone would throw out the words "progressive" or "fusion" at some point by now.

Seriously, there's no need to pigeon hole yourself into one genre. Play and listen to what you like, and eventually you'll develop your own style you're comfortable with.

18. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    You're playing for 8th notes than an upright player.

I'd say Alternative. Or like...a college rock kinda thing

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

When I listened to the clip, this is what I thought, but I wanted to be Tuff and say screw genres.

20. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Yeah, I like 8th notes! Is alternative a good thing?