1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I don't know what my strings are, please help!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by The Ram, Dec 3, 2017.

1. The Ram

The Ram

Jul 8, 2008
    I've been playing bass for years and I am not a techie person at all. I own 2 electric bass guitars and one of them I haven't changed the strings since I bought it which was about 7 years ago. It's an Aria Pro II SB 1000, Korean. I bought it from a shop I don't believe exists anymore. For anyone familiar with the make, do you know what strings they are so I can replace them?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Whatever strings might've come on the bass originally are probably long gone. Do you want to know what they are because you like them and want newer ones? A description or pictures would help identify them. Otherwise you can pretty much use whatever you want. You don't have to use the same type of strings.

3. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Is there any particular reason you want to put the same set of strings on? 7 years is a long span of time. Anything new will come to life and sound quite different.
    I’d recommend buying a couple of standard gage sets. One nickel one stainless and see what suits your fancy.

4. The Ram

The Ram

Jul 8, 2008
    Because I like them.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    If you like them, you should probably keep them. A new set will sound nothing like what you have now.

Otherwise if you just want new strings just to get new strings, a flatwound or pressurewound string will sound a lot like a dead, 7 year old roundwound...assuming you have roundwounds now.

Arthur U. Poon and jfh2112 like this.
  6. The Ram

The Ram

Jul 8, 2008
    Yep, I like them and want newer ones as they're way out of tune now to the point that I can't ignore it anymore. Here are the pics.

Attached Files:

7. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Oh, Well if they're out of tune you definitely need new ones. :cautious:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  8. The Ram

The Ram

Jul 8, 2008
    Here is the pic.

Attached Files:

9. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    To me, those just look like cheap generic strings. Let us know what types of music you play, or what type of tone you want, and I’m sure the TB community can help you find some strings...

10. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Looks like 105’s to me Gauge wise though hard to tell just take it into the store and match it up with a set

11. Member8675309

Member8675309 Banned

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I’m wondering if it’s possible that someone took the silk off those rounds. It’s odd to see that kind of end on a string w/o silk.

jfh2112 likes this.
  12. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Ghs bass boomers

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  13. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    Just a guess...noone else would.

tfer likes this.
  14. Funkabilly

Funkabilly

Aug 11, 2015
    Richmond Ky
    I would definitely recommend flats, if you're going to go 7 years between changes. Btw, flats sound nothing like "dead roundwounds", I dont know where people get that idea, anyway, Daddario chromes are fairly cheap and will last a good while. They will be a little bright to start with, but that will go away with some playing time.

jfh2112 and Gt6s like this.
  15. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Just get a new pair of roundwound strings, and get ready to be amazed.

16. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Or better yet get two pair so all 4 strings will be new!

17. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    They look like nickel plated roundwounds to me, but I can't say which brand.

I recommend Ernie Ball Slinkys or D'Addario nickel plated roundwounds. If the OP wants a mellower sounding nickel plated roundwound string, go with GHS Boomers.

There, I recommended Boomers again! :D

Linnin likes this.
  18. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'm not seeing red silk ends, so I don't think they're Boomers. I'm guessing XL's or Slinkys, or a generic string that's similar to both.

19. The Ram

The Ram

Jul 8, 2008
    I just want the same strings or similar strings to what I have, not what other's personally like.

20. The Ram

The Ram

Jul 8, 2008
    If I take it into a guitar shop will the assistant be able to tell which brand? (although they might be untrustworthy for obvious reasons)