1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I don't know what strings i should be using. suggestions?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by crazyodog19, Apr 25, 2010.

1. crazyodog19

crazyodog19

Mar 16, 2007
    New Jersey
    I play in a metal band that uses drop B tuning. I use a Musicman SUB 5 and tune it to B F# B E A. I currently have Ernie Ball Power Slinky (40-125) on my bass and to be quite honest i hate the way it sounds.

i don't know if this is because of the strings or the tuning. I've also tried other Ernie Ball Strings, GHS, and D'addario and none have made me happy. The tone I have a problem with is this really clicky(kind of like Fieldy but not even that good) sound that always seem to ruin whatever I'm playing. The tone i'd like have is more just a straight up bassy sound that would fill the low end but still have a decent punch when I slap every now and then.

This could also just be the pickups or maybe I'm not stringing it properly(I never know how much to cut when tuning in drop B cause I'm tuning the bass up hence the lighter gauge I tried using). Theres no issue with intonation or fret buzz though its simply clicky and too trebly.
    If anyone has any advice or recommendations it'd be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Owen

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    See if you can find a .090 4 string set and put a .135 single on bottom. It might be easier to come by a .095 4 string set, but a B string that balances well for a .095 F# would be .140 or so - might be tough to find as a single.

FWIW the drop B sets I recommend are;
    .136 .092 .068 .049 .035

3. crazyodog19

crazyodog19

Mar 16, 2007
    New Jersey
    Ok. Thank you very much I appreciate it. Getting a four string set and a separate b string sounds like a good idea. Any certain brand you'd recommend? I've found some rotosounds that have gauges close to that but I dont know very much about rotosounds to be honest.
    Theres also a light set of DR HI-Beams that goes 30 50 70 90. as for the single string a company MTD Kingston seems to have a decent amount of b strings.

4. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    I have a dog in this fight - I make and sell strings. So my first recommendation would, of course, be Circle K's.

But I think if you can put the gauges together then it becomes a matter of preferred flavor. I highly recommend the (roughly) .136/.092 or .135/.090 spread between the two lowest strings regardless of brand.

5. crazyodog19

crazyodog19

Mar 16, 2007
    New Jersey
    if i were to buy circle k's could i get a set like that or buy a four string set then buy a separate string?

6. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    There is a drop B set with the specific individual gauges I listed. No mix and match required.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Rotosounds are excellent choice imo. Though it does sound like something is making your bass overemphasize string clack sound. Could be too much maple in the body, overly trebly pups, running treble control to high, or even strings too close to the pups.

8. crazyodog19

crazyodog19

Mar 16, 2007
    New Jersey
    thanks for the help guys. i just got my Circle K's in the mail today and they're awesome. I lowered my pup as well and i love the sound I'm getting. Thank you very much!

9. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Awesome!

Glad they work for ya!