Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I dont know what to do! Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PinkTelephone, Oct 23, 2005.

1. ok so today i went to the music store to pick up my cab. my day was going great until i bought it. here she is.

[​IMG]

ok so after i bought it, i realized how thick it was. i have a 2 door honda civic so you can understand. it took me and two guys from the store to get it in my car.

ok so here the problem. the cabinet sounds amazing, it makes my terrible hartke head sound like a god, but the thing is massive. taking it out of my car i broke my seat, overhead light and cracked my windsheild. i want the cabinet so bad but it seems so impractical. i'm playing with a band now and i reaaly need something loud. i was either thing about keeping thing one (but i dont know) or, either getting a mesaboogie 4x10, which i dont know if it will be loud enough though... or getting and ampeg 6x10 because its thinner weighs less and will fit in my car, or getting a swr goliath... so PLEASE HELP, give me some advice, i dont want to part with my brand new amazing cabinet but i may have to. let me know what you think asap, i have two shows next saterday. thanks

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I don't think the Ampeg would be as loud as a Mesa Boogie or SWR 410.

3. do you guys think a 1x15 and a 2x10 will be loud enough to take the pace of a 6x10... it would be easier to get around and would fit in my car. together they can handle 1000 watts. i play metal so i have to be loud alot. thanks

4. Paintballer

Paintballer

Feb 2, 2005
    Get a new car :p

5. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    well, i think it's funny how many folks are in bands....
    and don't use a van. at least a mini-van, if gas is a major concern.
    i've owned vans my entire life....i'm a gigging musician,
    i need to transport my gear and people safely. nothing cracks me up more than watching a band show up in 4 or 5 different cars...
    now that must eat some serious gas. then there's parking. and tolls.
    my current van is a full-size chevy express1500...6 cylinder vortec
    engine...i can travel with an entire band's worth of gear and band
    from washington dc to new york city and back on a little more than 1 tank of gas (25 gallon tank).
    the band(s) i play with always help pay for maintenance, etc. etc....
    i even have been hired by other bands to transport gear for them,
    it can pay really good(rental+driving fee)...then the van is paying for itself.
    and once again the safety issue. somebody nails you and you roll your hatchback with a cab like that in the back and you're probably dead.
    it's easy to custom-build a sturdy loft or wall to keep your gear secure
    and away from you in case of accident...need more room?
    add a trailer.
    so many more reasons, but i've gone on enough.
    i would strongly suggest that you consider a van. :cool:
    d

6. keep it. it looks cool. great bass cab. who cares about cars anyway?

7. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    Remove the passenger seat from the Civic - it is held in place with only four bolts. Then you will be able to slide the cab easily into the rear seat, through the passenger side door.

8. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Strap it to the top of your civic.

9. ok thanks for that great advice, i'm 17, i'm not buying a new car to make room for a bass cab. and no one answered my question about the two smaller amps being big enough. anyone have anything to say about that?

10. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Most 115 and 210 will have trouble if you are in a loud band and there is more than 1 412 worth of guitar equipment, but the only way to be sure is to try it. The power of your amp and your EQ settings will make a difference too. More midrange in your sound will help you cut through more, but you may not like that tone. The only time I've used a rig as small as a 210+115 with a whole band was with Bergantino cabinets, driven with a 600 watt amp they were able to keep up with a loud drummer and a loud guitarist with a 612 stack. I had to sell them, and now I don't own a single cab that will fit in my car.

11. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    My thoughts:

You should of asked for advice BEFORE you went out and purchased a huge expensive Mesa cab that barely fits in your car. You knew it was a big cab and that you owned a small car but you bought it anyways-That's Pretty Stupid IMHO. You may be 17 but you lack the geometrical skills of a 5 year old.

Does anyone in your band own a larger vehicle? If so maybe they can help you out. If you went with the 2x10 and 15 option you should still have a very nice set up that is easier to transport. You might even save a little money so you can buy a decent head down the road.

Andrew

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Sometimes its tough to git an answer around here, innit? ;)

I'm going to make a few alternative suggestions that might work for you. I notice that you're already in the upper price-bracket for cabs, so I think there are a few that you should look in to.

1. Schroeder 21012. Yup. 2 10's and an angled 12 in a box smaller than most 4x10 cabs...that has the volume to slay a 8x10 cab and killer tone to match. You'll have no problem with fitting it in your car and while it may not have the name recognition of Mesa, I like my little 1212 better than any Mesa cab I've played. From my experience, everything you read about the Schroeders...is true! Email Jorg, he's super nice and full of great information.

2. Bergantino 6x10. This seems to be the preferred small box 6x10 these days. I think if you contact Jim Bergantino he can fill you in on the details. I keep hearing about guys who load these into the backs of their Jettas without problem. From the specs on each site, the Bergie is 4 & 3/4 inches less deep than the mesa.

13. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Another option would be to exchange the 610 for a mesa 410 and a 210. Same speaker area, same impeadence, easier to juggle in a car. Plus you have to option of leaving the 410 at your regular practice sapce and just moving the 210 and the head.

14. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Burning Skies gives some great advice. Although people have been hitting you on the car issue and you currently are not in a position to buy another, you might want to also consider a different vehicle if bass playing is a long term direction. There are fab breakthoroughs in smaller cabients lately but the limitations of a two door may be a squeeze.

You may not need a van. I have a four door jetta (small car by any measure) but it is flexible enough for me to haul my Avatar B212 and B210 in the back seat with the rest of my gear in the trunk.

Bass stuff is big. Bass players like to buy lots of stuff (weather we need it or not).

Just something to consider.

Good luck!

15. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    It's easy to get sucked into the bigger=better thing. We see pros on stage playing huge rigs (which may or may not be plugged in) we see 'em on TV with huge gear and think that its the way to go.

What PinkTelephone has learned is one of the BIG lessons of being a working musician...and a lesson that we all learn early on. It may be impressive to have a big rig with that logo on it (whichever logo you prefer), but you have to balance your tonal goals with your physical situation and find something that can satisfy each.

I understand to the common guy in the crowd in front of yer stage a MESA/BOOGIE is an impressive thing to see on stage. But to be honest my Mesa head gets much less notice by any sound pros or players than my Schroeder cabinet. But then, they're using their ears not their eyes to evaluate the situation.

...AND I can fit my 1212 in the back seat with enough room for a person to stretch out back there too!

16. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I'd look in the schroeder direction as mentioned above. Compact and very loud.

17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You could offer to carry the groupies and let your bandmates haul your cabinet...seems like a fair trade to me!!! :D

BTW, nice gear for a 17 year old...and you have your own car too...wow!!! My 19 year old daughter would be very, very jealous!!!

I hope that you get your windshield fixed before it becomes a safety issue...

Can you pull a small trailer with the Civic? The owner's manual would tell you.

Good luck!!!

18. Trailer hitch and trailer would be cheaper than a bigger car, and you still get the gas mileage when not carrying gear. I like that idea.

Otherwise a 4x10 and a 2x10 combined would seem to give you the same advantages as a 6x10, along with loading/carrying/flexibility options you don't currently have.

Wasn't there a thread earlier about someone cutting a 2x10 in half to get 2 1x10 cabs? :D

Randy

19. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Wow, I hope he cut it the right way and didn't cut his speakers in half!

Hey, I once busted a Honda Accords windshield with a 2x10, so I'm very impressed you got a 6x10 in a Civic!

I'm going to second or third the Schroeder idea. Those things are loud for their size. Or how about 4 Aguilar 1x12's and a 2ohm amp?

20. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    Go buy an American car.