i dont know what to do with my life

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by .-.LeX.-., Mar 7, 2003.

1. about to be going into senior year faster then i think, and yet- i dont know what i want to do with my life. friends and foes alike have their lives planned out for day in and day out for the rest of their lives. but me on the other hand - i havent a damn clue.

it was just recently where i had an " awakening ", if you will... the big wake up call that comes ringing at you screaming utter words of failure, and disgrace, and now i cant do anything about them. Im not afraid to admit that i've done horrible in school since the 6th grade, just getting by with D's and C's. Occasionly failing a class for the year. So choice of college isnt really open for me; a 2 year community college is probably my best but, ..........but alas, my dillema. i still dont know what i want to be, what i want to do.

i hate the fact that i have the plan out the rest of my life in the next 12 months.

and i know there is others like me, and there was, and there always will be. perhaps one of my fellow talk bass members was in the same situation as me. Im confused and lost. What did you plan to do? how ? where? evreything... anything...

sorry for being confusing guys.... im just all blah....
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you _don't_ have to plan out the rest of your life now, but what you _do_ have to do is everything you can to keep your options as open as possible for as long as possible, until you're ready to commit to a course of action.

translation: go to college, dude. learn from your mistakes, do _well_ and get a good education from somewhere worthwhile that will enable you to find a decent job that you don't hate. _then_ you can finance whatever dream tickles your fancy. ain't america grand? ;)

that's my opinion
  3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Don't worry about having your life all planned out. I am in my senior year now, and last year I had the same feeling. But it goes away once you find out what colleges you are accepted in. It made me stop worrying about the future (for now).

BTW, this year really is going fast. Scary almost.
  4. jesica

Jul 13, 2001
    USA, MI
    im going though the same thing, ive got bad grades(GPA around 2.3) until this year(GPA 3.4), any my counsler is putting all this pressure on me to pick my colleges and stuff. and im about to take the ACTS, and im afraid of doing bad.
  5. shikee

Dec 26, 2002
    dallas, tx
    don't sweat it man .. first 2 years of college are pretty much just basic courses so you really don't even need a major until after that.
  6. Hey I'm 24 yrs old, and I don't know what I want to do with my life...I consider myself a computer tech, but righ now I'm studying to be a licensed welder, and a couple of years ago I went to buissness college...

Relax, and do what feels best.
  7. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    if you feel that you *need* to go to college then go, but most of the people i know that went just wasted their money. 99% dont have jobs in their field, i doubt that many people that i dont know have jobs in their fields either. i make *very* good money, and im *very* happy with my job and i can afford to do whatever I like to do, drive a new car, pay my bills, and go merrily about. im a very proud high school dropout.

*i'm not an advocate of educational laziness however* spend your spare time learning on your own, read alot of books, write alot of essays, QUESTION EVERYTHING! just realize that there is no such thing as a one-way (lecture) education, that is merely indoctrination. being indoctrinated does not make you smart, it does not make you "know" anything, and it destroys your common sense. if you were to do your classes and then follow up on your own volition the b side of the "lesson" then you actually would be getting educated. when an advocate of either the a/b side of any given scenario debates you, you will be able to debate back intelligently, not just rehash a textbook.

what do you enjoy doing? start working now in a field you enjoy and show the initiative to move up, you'll find your place in a much more rewarding way. you'll also have more appliable working knowledge of the systems that are involved in the field. this really doesnt apply to some of the technical fields such as engineering, medical, scientific etc, however there are ways of starting low in these fields and showing the initiative and then being college educated in the field, at the expense of the employer.

my life advice: make the best out of what you have, and everything you have will be the best!
  8. to try to sit and plan your whole life is impossible. the curves that will be thrown and all. it is best to just take it one step at a time. work on grades. if you go to college, you have to do all the preliminary classes anyway. take your time and explore different fields. some people just know what they want in life. others have to find it. i had to find mine. i am so happy where i am. i work with troubled teens in a group home. that fell into my lap by accident. i found that is my calling. and i am 36. been there almost 3 years. i always knew i wanted something with kids, however, i find i am happy with older kids. i did daycare for 9 years in my home and burned out bad. took a couple years off and found this. i love it. my oldest has his career planned, in 9th grade. he tried to plan out his life and i had to explain it is ok to plan, however, he also needs to go with the flow. don't sweat it. my 12 year old came home and said, mom, everyone i know has it all planned. i don't. what am i going to do. and this is 6th grade. they start early now. i had to explain to him also, work on the now. it will come to you when it is right. so long a reply just to say, calm down, work on the now, the grades now, and do the preliminary courses, and explore. you will find it when it is time. :D
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Does your school offer an AVID program? If they do, get into it in your senior year. It will make a world of difference for you as you go into college.

I didn't figure out what I was going to do until I was 25. After high school I dropped out of college after one year and joined the Marines for 3 years (1967-70 ... you figure it out). After I got out of the crotch, I acted like a hippie and went to Community College, generally goofing off. I married a girl from the college, and got a job as a draftsman for an engineering company. I got interested in what they did, so I went back to school, figuring that I wouldn't be able to support a family on a draftsman's pay. Just before I graduated with a degree in Engineering Geology, I divorced my wife and bought my first bass guitar (that rules, right?). That was when I was 29. Now I'm the CEO of the company I worked for while I was in college.

Don't sweat it. Take jt's advice. That will keep your options open.
  10. I don't think anybody has mentioned this...so...

What about music? Hell look around you dude, you are in a bass/music website.

Does music impassionate you to the point where you want to dedicate your life to it?

You could join a band...take over the world...Metallica-style (but don't sell out, k :D)..or you could be a gig-bassist, just playing gigs with various bands for parties/weddings, etc.

But yeah, try going to community college if you aren't sure, 2 years there will make things a bit clearer.

What about military?

My mom says after my dad went to the Marine bootcamp, he came back a COMPLETELY different person. She said he had no bad habits, she swears he was a completely different person.

Anyway, hope I helped. ;)
  11. Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    If you do want to go to college you don't have to go for just two years. You can go to a two year college, make good grades, and then you would have a fairly good chance of getting accepted into a four year college, with your first two years already completed.
  12. join the army! problem solved for me.:D
  13. just do what you want when you want, youll eventually find yourself doing a job you want
  14. Oh man I thought this was going to be about the Buzzcocks tune with the same name...

Go to college put real life on hold, start a really cool band and get drunk...things will work out in the end or maybe not...

15. And what? Be an "army of one"? :rolleyes:

Sorry, my dads a Marine. :D
  16. plumfairy

Jan 5, 2003
    I was in a similar situation last year. While all my friends were applying to go to different uni's I knew I wouldn't get the grades I wanted to get to the ones I would've wanted to go to, I had no idea what I'd do if I was to go to any and so I figured I wouldn't.
    I think there was too much pressure to do what everyone else was doing. There's no reason why I can't consider further education in the next couple of years if I have one of the 'awakening's and realise what it is I want to do. I havn't found any proper work yet :( but I havn't really been looking very hard :oops: I don't regret not going and I'm grateful I didn't rush into anything that I wouldn't be happy doing and that could've cost me alot of money :meh:
  17. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Well I wouldn't worry if I was you. I'm 24 and I don't know, and part of me doesn't want to. Ask some of the older people around you, I'll bet that a good chunk of them got into their jobs totally by accident... Most of the important things in life happen as if by chance, out of the blue... In the meantime college certainly isn't the worst thing you could be doing...
  18. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, don't worry about it so much - JT hit the nail pretty squarely, and everyone else has pounded it in perfectly.

Me: Dropped out of high school, enrolled in college and earned good grades but couldn't settle on a major and took long breaks along the way. Graduated with a degree in sociology when I was 26 or 27. First job out of college was as a graphic designer, and my career has unfolded within the advertising/marketing industry. At 35 I'm Director of Marketing Communications for a small ($20 mil. gross last year) investment products company and as I contemplate my next career move, I'm not sure what facet of my skill set is going to snag me a better job - so I still don't know what's next! :)

I know how you feel - I've known people who had their career path picked out in high school and who stuck with it and are now very successful. You have to admire people like that -- but -- understand that's not the only path to success, happiness and fufillment! :)