I dont know what to play!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by CrapBass, Jul 2, 2004.

1. CrapBass

Mar 11, 2004
    Mckinney TX
    Hi, I have been playing for 8 months or so, and I am just learning how to slap. Anyways, I always thought slap would be super cool and fun but it isn't what it has cracked up to be...I like just playing with regular walking fingers. I like alot of RHCP lines, and can play quite a few of them, but my main interest is metal basslines. I love 80's Metallica and early 90's. And can play the firt 45 seconds of anesthesia. Anyways, I can play almost every Metallica line and almost every RATM line. Can someone please give me some advice on finding some good metal bassline. I also like alot of Jazz/R&B too. Thanks Alot.... :bassist:
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Good metal, hmm.

Well you already mentioned Burton, he was a great metal bassist. I don't care for Iron Maiden, but many around here love Steve Harris. Justin Chancellor from Tool is also very talented. If you like Sabbath then learn some of Geezer's lines.

For funky/weird playing I like Les Claypool, some of his lines are tough to play and even more difficult to play and sing simultaneously. Geddy Lee is favorite of mine for super odd time signature prog rock.

That should keep you busy, but don't get to caught up in learning the lines of others and never create original music.

P.S. Ryan Martinie is very talented if you like Mudvayne/Numetal.