Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i don't know where to put this, so i'll put it here...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cods, Dec 23, 2003.

1. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    someone gave me this link this morning:

http://www.musiciansbuddy.com/38/Bass-Guitar/204/Electric-Bass-Guitar/301/Seven-Or-More-Strings-Fretted-and-Fretless-Electric-Bass-Guitar/ProductInformation/599/Conklin-GT-7-7-String-Bass.html

it's a link to a conklin gt-7, new, for $1000 bucks, that's $300 cheaper than musicians friend...but i can't figure out where to order it from, lol. there is no "checkout" button or anything.

AHHHH! this is such a good deal...but i can't figure out how to make use of it.

and why does the site have like 5 links to musicians friend(where it is $1300)?

2. It seems as though that sight may be around for people to use to take advantage of companies that price match. Print out the page from there, take it to GC, voila $300 off a new GT-7 type of deal ya know?

Seems kinda scandalous, but that is all I can make of it.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Hey, could somebody make me a similar page that advertises a $300 MIA Fender P Bass? I could use a deal like that.

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

All the links go directly back to Musician's Friend. The price there is changed from
    the Buddy Page @ $999,99 to a crossed out
    list price of $1024 to a 'sale' price of
    $1299 + HSC at 119.99

Now it's 1419 + Shipping and Tax if applicable
    in your area.

Can you say ' Bait and Switch' ?
    Saved 300 bones , eh?

:meh:

5. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    This looks like a MF affiliate site.

The crossed-out list price is $1824.00, not $1024.00. Big difference.

Musician's Friend did have these at $999.99 at one time, this affiliate probably has not changed their site to match the current price.

6. Thor

I can't see the 1824 here but...

[​IMG]

It's trivial anyway, it isn't $999.00
    It is so much an affiliate that it only links to MF, it is a fishing or redirection mechanism.

It is still Bait and Switch, oldest game in the sales book.

' Now we don't have that any more, that's an old price. Sorry, we can't honor that, etc. here's what we have and here's the real price.'

With non-internet business, this activity is illegal and deceptive. It may not be 'illegal' on the internet to redirect, but it is deceptive.

Thor

7. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    I may have a different font on my computer than you have on yours, but it's clear as day on my screen.

[​IMG]

Plus, if you pay $1299.99 and you saved $524.01, what does that add up to? $1824.00

I'm sorry that you feel that the affiliate program is like a "bait and switch" scam. I can assure you that this is a standard practice for most internet businesses. Granted, the prices should be the same at both sites, you found ONE instance where there is a discrepancy. Whoever is running this affiliate site is the one who should be responsible for keeping it current.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but it sounds to me like you're giving Musician's Friend an undeserved bad rap.

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Musician's Friend, Musicians Buddy - look about the same. I'd just stay away from Musician's Mother In Law and Musician's ex-girlfriend. :eek: They don't sound like they could be trusted...

9. The force is with you, young talkbassers.. but you're not AllodoX yet ;)

[​IMG]

10. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Wow! How'd you do that!?!?!?!

11. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    I like this site. How about this deal that I saw? An MIA Jazz Bass for the low, low price of $0.00!

$0.00 MIA Jazz

12. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Sweet! They have a Rick too!:bassist:

13. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    It looks like the items priced at $0.00 are ones where Musician's Friend has no price displayed, you have to email for it.

14. Thor

But, this link took in Cods, who in turn looked to us for help as he did not understand how to get it for $999.00. Saving HIMSELF 300 bones.

It never WAS available at that price.

Bottom _____________ Line!

15. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i e-mailed musiciansfriend.com, and i showed them that link(so they would matach the price, and they sent me this e-mail:

Response (Rye) - 12/23/2003 12:40 PM
    Hello Musician,

Thank you for your inquiry, and happy holidays. Unfortunatley, the affiliate is not an authorized dealer, as they're using our own merchandise for their product and listing the price as they please. Our current pricing can be found here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...3123619198/g=home/search/detail/base_id/40587

16. actually it was. i have a bass player with a MF ad on the inside cover and it has the GT-7s for $999. this was when the GT-7BD's only cost $1299. now the GT-7s are $1299 and the GT-7BD's are $1499. :meh:

17. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Man, that's too bad, Cods! Looks like if this site ever was an official affiliate, they're not anymore.

18. think thats a bad "list" price?

from conklinguitars.com:

can someone explain why companies say "list price" instead of the actual price? i would think seeing prices that high would scare away potential buyers that didnt know better :confused: