1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I don't know whether being in a band is worth it, sometimes

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Octaves, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Octaves

Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    Whinge, whinge, whinge. Sometimes think my effort would be better spent putting time into my career and earning real money. Band leader by default. If this thing takes off, am going to take 20% commission for every booking before everyone else gets paid. I might even put a "bass player wanted" ad in the local classifieds to replace myself!

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    EDIT: My reply doesn't really have much to do with your revised text, so I'll delete it ... :meh:

3. Octaves

Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    Yes I will. Once this gig is over, i will be relieved. I honestly think that is what is driving me at the moment. We are nowhere near ready and i've got to stand up there and play like a bunch of amateurs because that's how we're going to sound if we don't develop another set of songs in a few weeks.

I think you're right about time. If it wasn't for this gig, i wouldn't be stressed out like i am. It's not even a high paying gig.

4. Lobomov

Lobomov

Aug 2, 2013
    Cliff notes: Meh

5. Octaves

Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    I feel the same, although don't know what a cliff note is? I'm guessing it's the final note that pushes you over the edge, a la the cliff?

6. Lobomov

Lobomov

Aug 2, 2013
    Blah blah blah composition, argument, blah blah, world domination, pages on end, blah blah.

Cliff notes:
    Fender sucks

Or something like that

7. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    We don't do this because it's a smart decision in life. We do it because we want to, because we love music.

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I love music and I'm not in a band any more. Got tired of the same old usual stuff. I still play at church but if/when my bass sells, I may just quit all together. I have no desire to practice or work on anything anymore. I think I've defined burnt out.

9. Yeah, first your career should be in order - hobbies are secondary.

FWIW: You shouldnÂ’t have very many problem finding employees or subcontracting musicians as long as you can pay their required minimums.

10. Lobomov

Lobomov

Aug 2, 2013
    That is when you're 20 .. when you're 40, things start to look different :)

11. Itzayana

Itzayana

Aug 15, 2012
    Oakland Ca
    Most wouldn't agree, but I think that doing what you love and want to do is a very smart decision in life.
    That is what I have always done and it has gotten me exactly nowhere... but I am reasonably happy.

12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I expect the bandleaders who hire me to provide themselves with a decent cut.

13. i've dropped out of bands for the exact reason....puting in time for my career all this year to get ahead which has been worth while, the band things still sits like a monkey on my back calling me back into music....

14. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    OP, if you own the production to that extent, and you have a taste for the business end of bandcraft, all you have to do are make sure the dates get covered and the product is delivered to the customer's satisfaction. Just make sure you want that, because those are some pretty big headaches too.

15. Octaves

Octaves

Jun 22, 2012
    Hahaha, thanks for giving me a laugh :) It's what i needed.

Yeah, i'm thinking i'll try to see it through. This is a hurdle. Just... got to get through it. Dealing with stress and anxiety is an experience.

16. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    And then when you get to 60 you realize you had it right to start with. :D

The older I get the more I realize that the old saying about not regretting the things you did but the things you didn't do is really true.

17. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Very true in my case. I'm very happy not being in a band anymore. Went out on a high note, so to speak, and now I'm just taking lessons for my own improvement and working on my 'music', which may or may not ever see the real light of day.

18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Nothing like being in a band where everyone is meh! Quit my last gig due to this! Just got old! No new songs! Band, especially the BL/Keys, could not master the songs we did play! Random singer not show up every now and then! BL/Keys stops playing altogether by end of the night leaving me and drummer (& occasional sit in guitar) to fill the void! One singer would do a horrible mashup of Take Your Time (Do It Right) and My Funny Valentine! BL/Keys would say nothing! Male singer started doing it on another tune. Just embarrasing!

Sorry for the hijack................carry on....

19. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I'm with you...burnt out, tired of the drama, late nights for really little return.

If I want to play music just to play I will jam with friends have a few beers or play guitar while my Daughter sings.

To carry all the equipment and put up with people anymore has me tired of it.

20. I'm with you.

Typical jazz band "gig": 30 minute drive to play in a crappy restaurant in a bad neighborghood. 6 people in the audience. Total compensation for the band is $9 in tips.

Jam at my house: drums, piano, amplifiers all supplied; no need to bring anything except your axe. Climate-controlled, acoustically treated music room. Free, convenient parking. Clean bathroom. Beer, wine, and pizza usually available.

Yet my friends, who are all in their 40s and 50s, won't come over to my house on a Saturday. They have to keep their calendars open for "gigs". :rollno: