1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I don't know why, but I really want a pickup truck.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Apr 24, 2006.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I really don't need one. The most I'll ever have to tow are the kayaks. They're not very fuel efficient, and not very cheap if you want to be able to take more than two people around.

Is this just a phase?

I'll probably end up buying a small, more fuel-efficient SUV like an Escape or a CR-V, but for some reason I just really, really want a pick-'em-up truck.

2. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Buy a rusted up beater. Don't use it as your daily driver.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont think you're stupid at all for wanting a pickup. I like the Toyota Tacoma myself.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Tacomas are cool. One of those or a Canyon/Colorado would be pretty swanky. :cool: Tacomas look like they have nicer interiors, though.

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I just sold my rusted up beater. 84 Chevy K10 with 371,000 miles on it.

It was my daily driver.

6. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    wow.. thats a few miles, man!

I think you should wait and get something more fuel efficient... personally I think that if youre going to go with a small SUV anyways, why dont you just get a regular car? More fuel efficient and probably bigger for the same money.

7. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    off-roading is fun

8. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i want a monster Powerstroke diesel driven Ford F-350. it would be awesome.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I bought my first pick-up when I was 14. My dad helped me fix it up and put a new motor in it. I have always owned a pick-up ever since. I'll never be without one.

The new ones look nice, but I have no idea how to work on them. I'll stick with Fords from 1970-1990.

-Mike

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Eh - now that I've owned a hatchback, I'll never have a regular car again. Being able to fold down the rear seats and having that extra space is a wonderful thing. Small trunks that are hard to fit stuff into and backseats that aren't conducive to bass gear are a thing of the past for me.

A small SUV will be like my Golf, only a little bigger and with four-wheel-drive. And CRV's can still get 29-30 mpg. That's cool. They can't tow much, but I can't imagine needing to tow more than the 3/4 ton that most small SUV's can manage. But, on the other hand, what can't you get into a pickup? ;)

Pickups with four-wheel-drive get much worse mileage. I could get the 2wd, but what's the fun in that?

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    This may suprise you, but I have an 85 for ranger with a 2.8 carbureted V6. It just filled it up today and calculated my mileage. I am getting nearly 19 MPG in town. Half of the emission controls don't work, and parts are not available for them. So, I have it as near stock as can be really, and it gets really frekin good mileage for a 20 year old carbureted truck. It's a 5 speed as well, and I love having a stick shift. Though my new car is auto.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That is good mileage - for a 20 year old carburated truck. ;) Though I am by no means a tree-hugging hippie, I'm finding it hard to justify buying a truck (even a smaller one) when there are more fuel-efficient options available. Especially when the reason I want to have a truck is for the sake of having a truck.

I whine too much.

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I miss my beloved little Nissan truck. When I met my wife I was driving a Nissan Hardbody pickup. It was totally simple, 4 cyl, 5 speed manual, two seats. Nothing fancy at all. And it got 26 mpg and could carry my gear.

Then I had a daughter and had to get a Minivan. I got a Chevy Astro, the least ;mini' minivan I could find. I hated it at first but grew to accept it.

When it died I got a Ford Explorer. I liked the Explorer but needed more room. So we traded up to an Expedition. I have two payments left.

On the plus side, I'm about to have a payed-off vehicle. On the minus side, It's a friggin' bus. It's huge. It gets about 18-19 mpg, and I'm told that's good for one of these. This is not the preferred vehicle when gas prices suddenly skyrocket.

I miss my beloved Nissan.

14. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I drive a 2005 Ford F-150 with a 4.6 liter. MPG is somewhere around 15-16, which is crap compared to my old car, a Yota Corolla. That little sedan gets anywhere from 36-42 MPG.

I miss the Corolla. :bawl:

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If you get a pickup, better get used to your new nickname: "Packhorse." You know, "Hey, I've got to go pick up a refrigerator at my mom's house. Can you 'help' me move it?"

At least it can double as a band name, especially when you become the designated hauler for all of the equipment. Of course it'll rain when you've got it all loaded up.

I think Prius is the car for you, now that I think about it.

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    This is why I bought a topper (got it for 50 bucks used). No frige moving, and covers my gear when it rains.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How about a cruck?

[​IMG]

Worked for me for two years, moving onto something more round this summer.

18. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    So true. you'll have more friends than you ever thought you had. i actually started telling people that my truck wasnt for their use because it was getting dinged and scratched from carelessness. mine is more of a "street ride" truck than for going off roading in.

on the other hand, i dont regularly use the bed of my truck but its soooo nice when i need it. i can fit my stage equipment and my girlfriend in the cab. :)

i get an average of 13.3 mpg though. :(

19. naja

naja

Oct 14, 2005
    East TN
    I have a 2WD frontier and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I've only needed it to be a 4x4 once, when I was pulling some shrubs out of my front yard, and I just got my neighbor to do that for me in his 4x4 toyota. It snows decently here in east TN, and the only time I've had problems driving it in the snow is when a 4x4 bronco slid off the road and I had to stop on a hill. All I had to do was back into someones driveway and have my passenger hop in the back and we started right up the hill.

My gas mileage is great too. Around 24 city and about 28-30 on highway. I just don't have the need for a 4x4 truck, but I do have a need for a truck. I'll not be without one.

20. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Aw man, now you've gone and made me all misty eyed for MY beloved little Nissan truck. Granted it wasn't quite as little, being the SE-V6 4x4 with the King Cab, but I still loved her to death. Just last year I loaded up my life into the back and drove 'er across the country. Unfortunately when I got here my 120 km/day commute was a bit too much for her and I had to "trade" her in on my shiny little Mazda Protege. The car is great, and loads of fun to drive, but I sure miss my awesome little red truck.

Screw alla y'all for bringing up painful memories.

-Nate