Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I don't know why I care so much...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RAM, Feb 26, 2004.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    A short time ago I had an audition for a band where they advertised, "...groove oriented..." and "5-string preferred". Well, I talked to the guitarist (founder) on the phone and explained I played 4 and 6, after which he said I'd be fine. So, I showed up to watch them play 3 songs and they gave me a CD to learn their stuff..."Pick 2 songs of your choice..." I told them again I played both 4 and 6 string, and said if they wanted the low "B", I'm happy to play 6. They joked about it, telling me they don't want 6 because they don't want someone playing chords... :rolleyes: They then looked at each other and said my 4 stringer should be fine.

I took the CD home and learned 5 songs. I learned the first 2 so well that the drummer mentioned that was exactly what he was looking for.

So, after a couple of months, it's quite apparent they never called me back for an audition. I figured, "Hey...it happens".

But, if my physical appearance (image) is similar to each of theirs, the drummer feels I groove well, I learned the songs enough to correct (politely) the keyboardist on a tune, etc, could they really have turned me down because I play 4 strings and 6, but don't own a 5'er???

It wouldn't normally bother me so much, but I thought their music was amazing, and they can actually put together a tune that sounds great!

Oh well...back to the bedroom... :bag:

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Apparently so. People are picky. They prolly want the perfect match, and you were almost it. If you want the gig, get a five string.

-Mike

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    that makes no sence to me! They want a bass player with a low B, but they dont want a 6er in fear of chords. You can do chords on a 5 string, and on a 4 string....?

Dude dont let them get to you..you will find someone less pickier and feel better with them, plenty more fish in the coean ;)

4. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    Look for someone who is less picky mate, they just sound like they are being to picky.

Andy

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I agree with all your comments!:D

I'm kinda on the cusp of buying a 5'er, but dont' know if I'll pull the trigger or not. Since my wife is 24 weeks pregnant, I may not have the time to devote to playing much, anyway.

I've auditioned for bands before and never cared. It's just with this one, I fell totally in love with their sound.

Oh well...been THERE before...;)

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I hate to say it but the consensus around here is that 6 strings = chordy melody dude, no balls, who just happens to play bass. Someone started a rumour that 6 stringers don't rock as hard and it snowballed. I can think of one local left handed 6 stringer who rocks like there is no tomorrow (if you're lurking, Hi George!).

But is this any different to the flack I used to get when I first bought a 5? It took a while before people accepted them as normal.

7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Pull a string off the 6 string and you now have a fiver :D

In all seriousness, if theyre that pricky about a 5 versus a 4 or 6, what happens next? Are they gonna tell you how to tie your shoes and comb your hair, too?

8. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    You're probably better off without being in that band.

I'd say that you shouldn't worry about it too much.

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes! But you have to do it in front of them. Carefully tune up, remove the top string, retune, and then look them directly in the eye and say "let's rock."

If it's really bumming you, call them. They could've lost your #.

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I thought about that...

But, I did leave 2 messages, both with my phone number, back in December. I just recently came across their ad in the local paper again.

I thought the guitarist (one of the founders) was pretty much a jerk the way he kinda blew me off. That's the biggest reason I haven't tried harder...

11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    6 string chords? They are idiots move on.

12. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Yah, Those are the people you DONT want to play with...

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    First encounter with silly musicians, eh?

It gets worse... there are plenty more out there. Keep your chin up and don't sweat it.

14. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    RAM,

Could very well be that they've determined you're out of their league. They (especially Mr. Guitar Player) could be intimidated. I've seen it happen.

Peace,

James

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah...ya' never know.

The keyboardist (a seemingly nice guy) is classically trained and plays both keys and electric violin (!)...quite the talent! The singer has a really cool voice (female lead). The drummer is exceedingly basic (almost too much so) and this guitarist's playing is really very boring. The other guitarist doesn't look like much, but he's got incredible feel and taste!

It's a weird mixture...but, alas...it's not meant for me.

16. I would have walked as soon as they tried to tell me what kind of bass to play. It's fools like these that can destroy one's relationship to music and make it a chore instead of a pleasure. They don't realize that the instrument is just a tool -a means, not an end, and one is not automatically a wannabe guitarist because they play a 6 string bass.

You'll find a better band I'm sure. Just think, if they're telling you what kind of bass you can play, what will they do if you want to play something interesting? I can see it now: "just stick to the root, man"

:rolleyes:

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I hope you set them straight about the six string = chords thing. Thats pretty unclever. (If it walks like a duck...)

I'd walk away and look for for another band if I were you, but if you think they're worth pursuing, maybe you should do a last ditch effort and se what's going on. If you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose.

18. Ram, if these guys didn't call you back, they didn't lose your phone number, but they are extremely rude and low class.

You'll probably never know why they don't want you, and if I may offer a piece of friendly advice: don't think about it for another moment. I know I may sound like grandpa Jewels here, but you're much better off without them. If they treat someone like this right off the bat, it'll only get worse as time goes by.

Look forward to that bundle of joy. :)

Mike ;)

19. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's great advice!

Less than 16 weeks 'til the next Jaco is born!:D

20. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I had a similar thing happen to me last November. A band was looking for a bassist, so I drove an hour to check them out at a bar, get a demo with 3 songs to learn, and I went home and learned the tunes. I didn't really think much of the band but they were playing 3+ times a week so I thought, "what the hey". I never got called for audition and saw that they have an ad in my state's music newspaper this month. Oh well. It's easy to get indignant about these things, but it's their lose if they don't call you for the audition.