"I don't like certain notes"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jun 8, 2004.

1. I'm arguing with a friend, who's a violinist. She's saying that she hates the notes D# and G#, and thinks that they sound bad. I'm arguing that that's impossible, but she won't budge.

How do I convince her that all the notes are basically the same and transposable?
  2. she's right.
    different notes feel and sound different to people. a friend of mine loves c# and says it's got more warmth than any other note in the scale. doesn't matter what octave it's at, or what instrument it's played on. he loves him some c#.
    it sounds goofy, but it's true.
    i like g. not so good with e flat. d seems thin to me. f# sounds super thick. i prefer playing funk that leans on f# heavily, even if it's the most difficult key to slap.
    man, this does sound dumb, but i believe it.
  3. C#m

I love that chord.

I'm not kidding.

It does have a different feel than any other minor chord.

But it's not as sad as Dm. :D
  4. Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Well, to be perfectly honest, I feel that all notes are *not* the same. In fact, having recently started on David Lucas Burge's perfect pitch ear-training course, I am hearing those differences more clearly than I ever could before.

Burge reffers to it as "tone color" discrimination - each tone has a character all it's own. One could just as easily dislike the color brown, as he could the note G#.

In fact, string players are more accute to these minor differences than most other players, seeing as how they're constantly involved with proper intonation.

Give Dave's master-course a listen. It could prove quite fascinating (and this is coming from a guy who would have easily agreed with you two months ago).
  5. i really love G sharp,
    on a double bass,
    playing arco.
    theres something about it that begs for love.
  6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Hehe - funny little story real quick. That guy lives here on the north shore. He goes by Lucas and is extremely rich and plays piano pretty well (he better if he made up this program, right). He was giving his cat away and we got "Fluffy" for a while until it ran away. The guy called every couple months to make sure she was ok - So we broke the bad news to him one day and he got all crazy and came to our house to look around the neighborhood...we were all about to give up looking when we found the skeleton of a dead cat :eek: We assured him it couldn't be Fluffy ;) I hope he doesn't check this board!
  7. I have trouble with F#. It never sounds in tune.
  8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I wet my pants everytime I hear a Cb. Something about that note is just beautiful. I hate B, though. That note sucks.
  9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    i dunno how to write a cord out...

a like a D+3rd... just the third an octave up. that sounds heavenly to me.

but i like an F the best alone.
  10. Mr. Money, that would be called an interval, simplly titled "the third" (Maj/mi?)
  11. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    First of all, you can't convince someone they don't like something, that is just silly.

Secondly, so is your friend. Perhaps she doesn't like it because it is difficult to play on a violin. Perhaps she had a bad childhood experience involving those two notes. Who knows?.
  12. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Actually if it's up an octave, then it would be an 11th.
  13. the one note that really bothers me, is the brown note....
  14. Woops!!! I thought he meant a note, a third, and an octave of the original note. I stand corrected!!! :)
  15. Bzzzzzzzzzt! Oh, sorry, that is not correct. :p

Care to try again?
  16. moonbagel91

May 24, 2004
    i have a unabiding hatred of high d flat. i have to play it all the time and to me it sounds like crap. but i'm in love with low notes. so i love songs that are just on e and a strings.......black flag........
  17. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Oops! I meant 10th. My bad.