I Don't Like Mondays

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mellowinman, May 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Great song - Great version

38.5%
  2. Great song - but shut up mellowman

19.2%
  3. Never Liked the Rats or Geldof

23.1%
  4. Prefer the Carrots version

19.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis

SirMjac28, OldDog52, mapleglo and 8 others like this.
  2. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Inactive

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    I don't like the song.

But you did a fine job with the cover non the less.

I like the part of the video where it fades from you to the lady playing piano, looks like she's got your head for a moment.

3. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Oh I like this.
    Suits your voice really well.
    I actually spoke briefly to Bob last week, he was slightly lost looking for a boarding gate at the airport.
    Seemed like a nice guy, despite being a bit rushed. (Airports tend to do that to most people...I was a bit surprised he'd no special treatment, though)
    I said I wished I'd brought all my old Rats records to work so he could've signed them.
    He asked if I didn't have any of his newer stuff, and I said in all honesty I thought it was awful.
    His wife (I think) burst out laughing...not sure he was as amused.

Gabbs, cataract, Spidey2112 and 3 others like this.
  4. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    One of my greatest Christmases ever; I already owned The Fine Art of Surfacing on vinyl, and this was the days of record stores; my friend Jackie bought me A Tonic for the Troops. Rat Trap and I Never Loved Eva Braun are two of the best songs I have ever heard by anybody. I'm a huge fan. Haven't listened to any Bob in a very long time, so I can't comment on his newer stuff, but the Rats? As inspired a band as I ever experienced.

Oddly likes this.
  5. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Sadly I've never seen them live...I was too busy gigging around Ireland myself during their heyday.
    I can greatly recommend a dvd, Live at The Hammersmith Odeon 1978.
    Definitely one of Ireland's greatest bands.

mellowinman likes this.
  6. eric_B

eric_B

Apr 19, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Nice cover! I always liked that song, practiced playing along on keys when I was a kid.
    Years later learned about the meaning of the song.

mellowinman likes this.
  7. Christine

Christine Guest

Aug 3, 2016
    The song is brilliant, credit where it's due but I really really don't like Bob Geldolf. I had the mispleasure of meeting him and the Rats in the 70s a couple of times. He's done some good stuff with fund raising for Africa, again credit where it's due. How did such a tawt write such a good song is beyond me :roflmao:

mellowinman likes this.
  8. Christine

Christine Guest

Aug 3, 2016
    The video above is far better than the original too, mind you it could be performed by Pinky and Perky and I'd still of said that :roflmao: But I do like it :)

mellowinman likes this.
  9. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Care to share the story of how he pooped in your corn flakes? :)

Seems like an intense fellow. I loved him since he played Pink in Floyd's The Wall, but I never met him.

SirMjac28, mellowinman and Christine like this.
  10. Christine

Christine Guest

Aug 3, 2016
    Pissed on my chips more like :roflmao:

It was just the attitude of them (not all) trying to be working class punks and pleading poverty just to fit in with the rest of the bands at gigs but sporting expensive gear daddy had bought them. Sounds very trivial but I just hated his attitude, on the other hand the keyboard player (the real talent) was quite a nice guy. I'm sure I have blown this out of all proportion but that's the way I feel

11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:laugh:

nice work mellow! :thumbsup:

mellowinman likes this.
  12. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    What's truly depressing that a song written almost 40 years ago about a school shooting is just as relevant today...

13. My claim to fame...I was working at my college radio station in Atlanta when the Boomtown Rats came in to be interviewed.
    After the interview there was a story that came over our teletype about a school shooting that the girl blamed on not liking Mondays.
    Geldof took a copy of the story with him and the rest is history

catcauphonic, eric_B, Oddly and 4 others like this.
  14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    After-much-consideration.jpg

15. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    What's truly depressing is that when the song was written, it was considered an unusual event.

If you watch the ending, I got a little emotional when it was fading. That is NOT fake.

Christine, eric_B and Oddly like this.
  16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I was really impressed those vocals were really good and it happens to be one of my favorite songs. I didn't know the story behind the song so that was depressing.

mellowinman likes this.
  17. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    These bangles still look good after all these decades.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021