1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I don't like slap and I don't think anyone should learn it Thread!!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by PinkFloydDan, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    Let's really express our selves.

The technique has ruined the bass instrument. People like Victor Wooten, as talented as he is, can't seem to play the bass like a normal person. He plays it like an egotistical slapster. I saw him at 930 Club and walked out because it was so self indulgent.

There is no reason to learn slap and pop. You can be funky without it, just get the right equipment.

Say no to slap and pop. Say yes to finger style playing.

2. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    To each his own

3. tk421

tk421

Mar 3, 2010
    middletown, oh
    hrmm ... sounds like flamebait or jealousy to me.

i think that limiting yourself out of spite really doesn't do anything, but hurt your own style, growth, and development.
    kind of narrow-sighted, if you ask me. and by starting this thread, you DID ask me.

4. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    What is slap?

5. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Look, if youre ok with not being able to make every sound come out of your instrument, then thats fine. But for those who want to be able to explore all parts of the instrument, then there is no need for you to start this thread. You dont want to slap? Great! I'm not going to loose sleep, so go right ahead.

6. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    No, someone suggested I make this thread from another thread. If it is baiting, delete it. but there is also a well-used post called Slap Bassists Welcome. That almost baited me. It's clear that this is not a post for slappers.

7. slap sometimes can be abit over the top and unnecessary, but in the right situations you can't much the funk of slap.

8. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    I can slap and pop. I just stopped doing it when I turned 18. I am 36 now. I will do it on very very rare occasions.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Really?? :rolleyes: I mean seriously......really?!?! I hope the mods shut this down with the quickness! :scowl:

10. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    I will not disagree that slap and pop can sound good. I just don't think it sounds good being played on an entire song, nonetheless an entire album. So, it is just better off not learned. Fingerstyle.

Your lady friend will appreciate it.

11. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    I was very very serious and if the mods do take it down I would like to have a private discussion with you about why you slap and pop so much. Care to? I can do it respectably.

12. What is normal, anyway...

13. i hope ur not be seriouse, u own a ray and don't no what slap is!

14. mailboxmoney

mailboxmoney

Jun 29, 2006
    Lack of taste is not within the purview of slappers only - self-centered overplaying is unfortunately common to all styles on all instruments. Doesn't mean you or I should quit playing that instrument or style, just means to avoid unmusical playing on any instrument or in any style. What is unmusical? That we have to figure out for ourselves.

15. Obvious troll is obvious.

16. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Meh, slap has it's place when it's done tastefully. Personally, I pretty much never slap.

Now, on the Wooten thing: if you went to see a Vic Wooten show, you probably didn't get the best of what he has to offer. Slappity, flashy self-indulgence is what those shows are all about, but that's what the people who attend those shows are there for. Check him out with Bella Fleck and the Flecktones -- he does some very nice fingerstyle grooving in that context.

BTW, nice Reverend!

17. PinkFloydDan

PinkFloydDan

Jul 4, 2005
    Buffalo
    Gobatto, good question. I completely screwed up on that.

There is no normal. Rather, normal is what you say normal is.

18. Actually, she loves it when I pop that thang.

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The problem is all these anti-slap threads!! Why? I never see any anti-pick threads! Anti-sling your bass down to your knees threads! Why is slap always picked on?!? I just don't get it.

Fact is I don't slap and pop 'so much' (not sure where you got your info) but only when it's needed!

I also think this is a 'bait' thread! Good job!

20. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    What, have they all been deleted for ridiculousness?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.