1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I don't like the music we play...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by WilliamSandoval, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Hey guys, I'm a Senior in HS, and a couple of my friends wanted to start a band. They asked me if I wanted to be their bass player, and I told them I would.

The singer asked me what music we should play, and I told him it didn't matter, but I would prefer Psychedelic Rock and Heavy Rock. He said "How about Reggae and Ska?" I told him that was fine, and that I could easily come up with some grooving bass lines to fit that genre.

Only problem is, I don't listen to Reggae or Ska. I'm a long haired hippie who listens to 60's music...

We haven't jammed yet, and I haven't even met the other guitarist yet. While I'm sure, it could easily work out, I don't think I would dig playing music I don't like. I mean, I don't HATE reggae, I actually think some of it is pretty good, it's just that it's not something I listen to.

Should I go ahead and be their bassist to gain some band experience, or should I tell them it wouldn't work out?

Another thing is, they are the only people I know who play music. Finding other people who are into the same music as me, and also play instruments isn't an option.

What should I do? I wouldn't mind being in a Reggae band, but I just don't think I would get into it enough. But on the other hand, I could use some band experience...

2. I'd go with it until it bugs you a whole lot, just for the experience. I played in a band that primarily did classic rock... did I mention that I have a severe dislike of classic rock? It was still a great experience and well worth sucking it up!

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I'd go with it unless you're not having fun, playing experience is playing experience.

You never know what happens during a jam, what are the other guys into? If only the singer is into reggae/ska the band will quickly be playing something else.

4. I'm also tired of jamming by myself in my garage. If I was in a band, I could actually express my talents, both as a multi-instrumentalist, and an instrument tech.

It's like playing the same game over and over again--gets kinda boring after a while. If I was in a band, I could get my creative juices flowing.

5. The singer likes pretty much anything, but I wouldn't want him singing a genre of music that he's not good at.

Like an opera singer trying to rap, you know?

As for the other guys, I don't really know. I'd assume they already talked about genre before they invited me, but I'm not really sure.

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    You dislike the music you guys play and you haven't even played with them yet? That's kinda silly, don't ya think? :p

7. Would be playing...

Sorry to disappoint, sir.

8. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Well if you haven't even jammed yet, I think you are thinking about jumping ship way too early.

9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    You say you don't even listen to the genres, so I suggest you start. Maybe you will genuinely dislike the music, but I think you're jumping the gun by saying you dislike it if you haven't even listened to it any. They are VERY fun genres for bass.

10. I'd say go for it. It's always a good idea to play in new genres. Before you get together, it may do you some good to take a look at the rhythmic style of reggae...it's different from rock and vital to the reggae sound.

11. In my little experience, i would say stick with it, just for a little bit. If you discover that " Hey, i actually really like jamming with these guys!" thats great. If you decide otherwise, thats fine too. Try what i do with one of my bands. Every once and a while, suggest you guys do a cover of one of your songs. That way, you get to play your songs and they get their songs too.

12. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm like you, a long-haired lover of psychedelic rock. A neo-hippie, as some have called me. :D Reggae and ska aren't my usual thing either, but it would be a great experience, I'm sure. And there can be some overlap in the genres. Maybe you can talk them into playing a few songs you like, or, and I am coining a new term, psychedelifying the songs you do play a little bit. ;)

Reggae in particular is sometimes identified with "hippie" culture anyway. It could work. I would at least stick with the band for now unless you really don't like it.

13. I have listened to quite a bit of reggae and ska in my time, enough to know what sounds good, what sounds bad, and what needs to be played for all members. I do know the genre, but it's just not something I listen to.

I like Simon and Garfunkel, but I never listen to them. When I'm driving, and they come on the radio, I'll turn it up, but I wouldn't buy an album from them.

It's that kind of thing. A lot of reggae sounds good to me, I mean, I can jam to it, but if I had the choice between Jefferson Airplane and Third World, I would listen to Jefferson Airplane. I like Third World, but I like Airplane better.

I only enjoy listening to reggae because it grooves. I'll listen to anything that grooves. Groove warms my soul...

14. Mykk

Mykk

Aug 22, 2010
    Prescott, AZ
    Can you mold the band, the sound, the vibe into something you want it to be or something you could be happy with?

Do you guys all get along on a personal level?

I get alot of bands contacting me looking for a bass player, they say their influences line up with mine. So I listen to their music and it's not even in the same universe, relm, style & genre as what I play and listen to. Or, it might have a hint of the genre I want to play but the band is terrible. So, I usually respond with a "Thanks for contacting me and showing interest with working with me but your band isn't in my genre, just not my style"

At the same time, I have a hard rock background. I am a product of mid-90's grunge/Rock/Metal. And I am now working in two electronic bands. One dark, gritty and abrassive. The other is ambient, dance, sci-fi(?).... Why am I playing in two bands not in my genre, because they show potential and I like working with the individual people. And, eventually once both projects get into the writing stages again I'll have more creative input.... maybe.

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I know it has nothing to do in the current discussion but you should know that ska is a music that comes straight from the 60s, only to be partly outdated by reggae circa 1968.
    It greatly influenced Led Zeppelin.

16. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Why don't you just use your psychedelic 60's basslines with his ska/reggae vocals and combine it with whatever genres the guitarist and drummer bring to the band and create your own niche genre?

You will never discover anything new and original travelling down the same old roads as those who went before you.

17. If you have a good idea what kind of music you want to play, you won't be truly happy until you find like-minded people who will also be happy playing that kind of music.

You can do the reggae ska thing just to get your feet wet about how a band works, but it's not the ideal.

Nothing wrong with playing a little reggae while you draw up plans and find musicians who want to play some kick ass classic rock.

18. I've played in bands where I thought I'd hate the music. The key to liking it is to put your own flavor on it. It made a mundane and mediocre song a fun one to play. I even get compliments and encore requests for it, and it's a reggae song.

19. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    IMO/E, nowadays. long-haired hippie + grooving basslines=ska or reggae.

20. I guess you guys are right. If I come up with good bass lines, then I'm gonna enjoy playing them. I can't come up with something good and not enjoy it. It's coming from me, so I'm automatically gonna think it's gonna sound good and be fun to play.