I don't like the new guy.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Axtman, Jul 1, 2022.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    A friend of mine is a singer/songwriter in kind of the soft rock/folk genre. He's an okay acoustic guitar player, good singer and fantastic songwriter (briliant lyriscist). I have played with him a few times and have played bass on his CD.

Recently he had a new guy join him. The other guy plays acoustic guitar. I recently saw them at a local coffee shop. The new guy is good but over plays and noodles around. He is basically soloing through my friend's songs. It was really kind of distracting. Luckily his volume was a bit low.

Well my friend wants me to play gigs with him. I would love to.....but not if the other guy is playing with us.

What should I do?

Rip Van Dan likes this.
  2. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Impaired
    At this point, it's not your friend. It's an act with two people in it.

If your friend invited this person to play, he must like what he's doing. You're not going to change this. I'd steer clear, personally. It's just going to invite stress since you won't be happy and it'd be a huge leap to suggest that you might be able to influence or mold things more to your liking when that's not really your place.

If he asks you why, be honest. Just tell him the other guy's style isn't your thing and offer that if they decide not to play together you'd be all in.

3. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    IME, you get exactly one "him or me" card per project.
    Don't play it unless you're prepared to walk.
    Have you talked with New Guy about your creative differences? Maybe he thinks he's compensating for -- something...
    Have you talked with friend about New Guy's style?
    If friend likes it, you know where you stand.

Joe Nerve, whero, basseux and 4 others like this.
  4. 4SG

4SG

Mar 6, 2014
    FFS, use your words. I’ll never understand these “what should I do?” posts when the simple answer is just to have an open, respectful conversation.

2112, pjbassist, Meysiv and 48 others like this.
  5. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Exactly. I'll just add to be specific, using evidence if you have a recording. Make it about the music, not the person. Frankly, it's not a bad idea to set aside time for performance notes for the whole group on a regular basis.

AEDW, Skip Chucker, Kaplan and 5 others like this.
  6. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    You can't walk before you joined. You can't join without talking.
    Let them know how you thought they sounded and what changes in
    their performance would be required to accommodate you with any comfort.

Maybe Noodle guy is open to suggestions. Maybe not.

mikewalker, BlueTalon, Kaplan and 3 others like this.
  7. You could just do it and see if having a bass line and a 3rd person just naturally calms new guy down. I know it’s a long shot.

8. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Hand the offensive noodler a gift wrapped pair of drumsticks... as soon as he breaks paper, fire him.

9. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    About the other guitar player...

My father used to say that some people only have taste in their mouths. Sounds like that guy.

Jay Corwin and Spidey2112 like this.
  10. truand85

truand85 Zig Zag Wanderer Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    Not if they got the corona. Then they just have no taste.

Dang75, EddiePlaysBass, Ewo and 4 others like this.
  11. Zoffy

Zoffy Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2020
    Sacramento CA
    Noodle dude may be trying to fill musical spaces. Sometimes it's overplaying, sometimes not; I have not heard them play so I don't know. It's possible that having a bass in the mix will reduce noodle boy's need to overplay. Jam with them once or twice and see what happens.

design, mikewalker, BlueTalon and 4 others like this.
  12. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    I think it’s hard to make a determination based on one gig that is a two piece. He may have just been filling space like others have said, or really nervous and overplaying. The calming presence of a solid and tasteful bass player who isn’t overplaying might totally change his approach.

Or he could just be a wanker and you walk away. Give it at least a shot...what do you have to lose?

mikewalker and Keyser Soze like this.
  13. Shepsdad

Shepsdad

Sep 22, 2019
    I agree with what others have said about the new guy trying to fill what he perceives as too much space, and maybe the addition of bass will solve that.

Aside from that, how did the coffee shop crowd react to the songs? Did people get up and leave? Did they react positively?

I’d say it’s worth getting together and seeing how it goes at least.

14. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Aren't you the new guy now? ;)

I'd play a bit with them before making a commitment. It could all settle out to something good with your influence.

15. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Mascoutah, IL
    There is no way I would sign on for that. I would however record the duo. Review it with your friend then tell him why you can’t work with the new guy.

16. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    as long as he's in time and in tune, just focus on your bass parts with the drummer?

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  17. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Impaired
    This is a possibility, though I suspect remote. There's tasteful noodling and then there's everyone else. But it could be worth one shot.

I would definitely not take the advice to record and critique. You're not even a member of the band, and if they like what they're doing it isn't your place to tell them how to improve it. That's just going to make you seem like a grade A a*****e.

18. "I don't enjoy what the OTHER GUY brings to the music so I'll have to decline. Good luck with your endeavors."

Or, even better,

"I don't think this project is for me" if pressed as to why then "I don't enjoy what the other guy brings to the table"

19. tofnbad

tofnbad

Sep 13, 2010
    FloRida
    Seems pretty simple. Ask your friend if he knows what and how the other guitarist is playing. If he is not aware, let him know what you observed. Ask your singer/songwriter friend if he likes what the other guitar player brings to the songs. If he likes it, and he wrote the songs, that pretty much seals the deal.

mikewalker and rockdoc11 like this.
  20. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This X 100

It's really the only answer. Be kind. Be respectful. But ve honest. End of story.

Kaplan, DwaynieAD, fhm555 and 2 others like this.